Book 2 - Act 1: Hiding the Evidence

The shipping lanes of Golarion's seas and oceans are filled with fat merchant vessels laden with trade goods both mundane and exotic, as well as the pirates and freebooters who prey on them. Under the banner of their Hurricane King, these buccaneers sally forth from that archipelago of lawless pirate ports and anchorages known as the Shackles, plundering the shipping of countless countries and trade consortiums, then vanishing back into the maze of islands and reefs they call home. The nations of the Inner Sea would like nothing more than to end the pirate menace once and for all, but the eternal hurricane known as the Eye of Abendego has thus far shielded the Free Captains of the Shackles from the threat of retaliation.

In the Skull & Shackles Adventure Path, the PCs take on the role of pirates, but they must make a name for themselves in piracy, plunder, and disrepute to truly become infamous Free Captains of the Shackles.

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Rickety's Squibs: Headland

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:33 am

It takes Rickety about twenty minutes to go over the ship from top to bottom and does his calculations. "She's ripe for a Squibbing, should take a week on the nose, and will cost you 2000 gold pieces." He nods confirming these numbers to himself, "You have a good hold, ripe for some smuggling compartments in the bulkheads, but those will cost you 500 gold a piece, but shouldn't add any real time to the job. If you have coin to spend we might talk other improvements as well. All my work requires I see proof you have the funds to pay for it, half up front half when I finish."
7 Days to do, 2000 gp
each smugglers 5ft square hold is another 500gp but no time added
he can also do other improvements from the players guide but I don't know what you might like or have money for, that's on you to suggest to me but he can do some of that stuff

He takes gold, goods and plunder at normal rates, perhaps other options as well
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:17 am

"Aye!" Aya replies happily, having feared it might be much more than what Rickety said. "The first half shouldn't be too much of a problem, I think. And if we needed to go smugglin' then we'd need to find some place where we can find somethin' to smuggle to be honest. Now that's just me, but I was thinkin' about giving the ship a bit of a harder sting if we have to exchange blows with any other ship. Pirates life a dangerous life," she shrugs. "Something with a bit more punch than a those light ballistas there."
Does he have cannons? And if so how much would that cost? 8O
Though if nothing else, I'd like to get a Broad Rudder and pay for it myself if I got that much left. Don't know about that yet though. Depends on the expenses we have...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Rickety laughs, "Well then, proof of your funds to get the squib underway is all I need." Aya shows Rickety proof of the coins for the squibbing and that's enough to get the man to start shouting orders. "Alright then, gather your things, and sail her into the estuary. My cutters will tow her into the dry dock and my men will get to work right away." He motions his men off the ship and they head down to the longboat, "You may stay at the Commons, free of charge, and I expect you and your men to behave yourselves like proper sailing men and women. Food, drink, and other things you'll have to buy, but the beds are yours to use." Rickety shakes hands with Aya and then climbs down to his ship and rows back to get his work crews ready.
Rickety's is basically a village, and you'll have a week to explore, and do your thing there.

The 2 points of plunder, at a village can be sold for a base of 300 each, or you can try and get more for them per the rules. So don't think those 2 points of plunder you have are covering the 2000gp to squib the ship.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 pm

"Very well, Mr Hake," Aya replies, shaking Rickety's hand. "It's a pleasure doing business with you. We'll behave as it is proper and if someone steps out of line, we'll take care it doesn't happen again." The kitsune looks after the men as he climbs back into his boat, wondering how he came to end up here and squibbing ships but within the week there's enough time to inquire about that.

"Alright," she says to her crew. "Seems like it's underway and we're even going to get towed into the dock. Furl in the sails and let's prepare for a walk on solid ground."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:50 pm

"Aye aye, captain," Maggie replies, climbing up into the tops. "Topmen and women up for furling the sails!" she calls out, getting ready to direct the job.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:53 am

Davok immediately takes to being the man at arms and spends a considerable amount of his time learning to his his harpoon properly. He also begins evaluating the crew being unfamiliar with most of them and thoroughly unimpressed by some. He works on some practice routines and instructs how to properly wield their weapons like professionals not two bit pirate scum. He works the crew through two boarding drills and works on repelling would be invaders. It appears there is a lot of work to do.

As he stands there in his mail with his harpoon strapped to his body, it now goes with him everywhere he watches this man and his guards board the ship. The Captain does not seem to be alarmed and takes him around the ship. Davok stays back with the guards making sure they are on their best behavior. "Aye Aye!" Davok shouts "Alright ye yellow bellies ye heard the mate, make ready!" He shuffles off to man his details and leaves Maggie to order the crew around.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:07 pm

At first, Rod says nothing, but blows a kiss up to Maggie when she glances down. "I will find you a bed beside mine at the commons, my love." he says.

"I would like to have some more crew." he remarks to Davok. "Preferrably with combat experience."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:14 pm

"Aye, it's quite true," Aya replies as she walks her way over to Rod. "I'd love to see a full complement, if we can get it here." She glances over to the bay. "Though it ain't too big but still worth a try. And Rickety seems interesting. Sure wouldn't be too nice if we take some crew. But if that's the issue, I say we see and get as many seaworthy men and women as we can here."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:46 pm

The ship makes its way to the estuary and further into the cove. Once there its all hands to get the ropes tied on so it can be dragged up into dry dock for the work that is to take place. After an hour or two things are set, and sailors gather on the deck awaiting shore leave orders. (and their booty)

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:34 pm

When the things are set, the ship towed and docked, Aya takes Rod with her to pay out the crew for their work so far.

"It seems like the beginning of our journey's over. Soon enough we're going to start the next part, no longer servants of a despicable bunch of whip-crazy slavers. So it's fitting that those who've sailed with us get their due. Some have fought with us, other against us but from the point we sailed together you're still going to receive your part of the booty," Aya says, striding slowly over the deck of the ship. "Quartersmaster Rod will hand you over your share but before you grab it and run away, I ask you if you'll still be back on this very deck to continue. Because there's been some resentment among us and I can understand it if you do not intend to continue carrying it with you. So if this is the last time with this fine vessel beneath your feet, I ask you to speak now since I intend to leave port with a full crew and find a suitable replacement. If you decide to continue with us, be assured that you'll receive your fair share until I draw my last breath." She looks at the expectantly at the crew to see who's going to stay and who wants to leave.