Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Open Sarcophagus

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Zeevan has everyone back up then inspects the stone coffin for traps. He looks for pressure plates, dart holes, chopping blades, falling ceiling tiles, anything he can think of, but the thing appears to be clear. Jay has nothing to help but his back and shoulder, and he joins Fletcher and Rikkan and Zeevan with doing this the hard way -- pure muscle. You shove and shove, and finally it grinds a bit to the side, you push more, and it moves a bit. Sweating you guess this thing must be over 600 pounds! Then Oloven joins in after a long moment of silence and together the company pushes the lid off to the side where it crashes to the floor cracking into thirds! You'll never get it back up and on now, but who cares about that? You are in this for the loot.

With the lid off everyone turns to look inside. Within the sarcophagus lies the perfectly preserved body of a woman identical to the one depicted on the lid, clad in diaphanous flimsy robes and an enormous amount of splendid jewelry. She looks almost as if she's sleeping, not dead.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

The Open Sarcophagus

Post by JohnnyWeird » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:42 pm

Remarkably well-preserved for a corpse. Or remarkably hardy, to remain alive under half a tonne of stone.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

The Open Sarcophagus

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:09 pm

The ninja whistles appreciatively. "Now that's the kind of loot I like! Jewelry is good stuff. Light but valuable." He isn't interested in desecrating a body, so he tries to be gentle while looting the shiny accouterments.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

The Open Sarcophagus

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:43 pm

"Well, that's not creepy," Rikkan observes. "And she's totally not going to rise up and attack us when we try and take her jewelry." The ratfolk warlock twitches his nose nervously. "Let me see if there's magic at work here. I'm betting there's at least some to keep her preserved."
interested to see if there's magic and if so what kind.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:58 pm

If it isn't magical preservation, we should find out what products she's used. The Company could earn a small fortune in cosmetics.

Je smiles gently, nervousness making his jape unconvincing.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 pm

"Powerful necromantic magic," Rikkan observes. "Could be that this is a clone made of a powerful wizard and kept here against the possibility of death. Of course that would mean that the wizard is still alive, or something went wrong with the transfer of spirit when her original body died." He shakes his head. "We should be VERY careful."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Fletcher stares at the stunningly beautiful woman in the sarcophagus, then to the fragmented lid on the floor. "By very careful, I suppose you mean more so than we were with the lid?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Jasper stands looking at the corpse inside the coffin. "What does it all mean?"

You are standing around it, Zeevan ready to loot her.
I just wanted to get everyone's first reply before we started taking action. Go ahead and keep posting
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 pm

The ninja nods seriously. "Well, I'll be as careful as I can. Try to point out anything that looks too dodgy, like a particular jewel or something. I'm happy to leave behind something that seems to be too dangerous to your magical sight, but there's no sense in leaving everything behind just because there's a little risk involved."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:01 pm

"I'm afraid it's a bit hard to see every little magical nuance what with the HUGE bunch of necromantic magic surrounding her," Rikkan replies. "But I'll try."