Book 3: Chapter 1 - Strait to It

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Chaos on the Ship

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:26 pm

Zeevan is literally supernaturally acrobatic, with Boots that unfairly boost her even more. She reverses course, and if she wasn't invisible she would be a blur as she navigates the tilted deck and debris. She reaches for the Potion that Taris holds out. As Taris speeds off, she yells "Don't forget about the lifeboats! There are a few that don't look broken yet!"
No problem! I have the Boots of Striding and Springing (+10 land speed), so on top of that I will spend 1 Ki Point as a Swift Action to add +30 land speed on top of that. I reverse course with a single Move Action, and spend my Standard to take the Potion of Levitation from Taris.

I don't want to be stuck in a falling ship, so next Round I plan checking to see if I can figure out how to use/launch a lifeboat. If not, I'm jumping free of the Ship entirely, and drinking the potion once I'm at least halfway down. Zeevan doesn't know how long Levitation lasts, so she'll be conservative on the duration estimate.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Chaos on the Ship

Post by Othniel » Mon May 03, 2021 4:40 am

"Summer Blossom, hang on!" Ceridwen shouts to her tiger. She hopes her companions below can make it above before the ship goes down, but for now they are on their own. The druidess does what she can to hang on, and prepares to transform herself into a winged creature before the ship crashes.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

She's Going Down!

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 13, 2021 2:34 pm

The chaos is total. People atop the ship are screaming, people are in a panic to the point that one guest is looting the bar and cafe without understanding what is really happening. The enemy on the glidewings take a few more pot shots but seeing the elemental ring burn out they have done what they wanted to do, bring down this abomination of man and they soar off to a safe distance for the moment. Zeevan and Taris go separate ways, Taris back to her cabin and she collects her things and reaches the deck with Alarik in her arms about to shout to Ceridewen, but the druid already can see the elemental ring is done for and the ship is plummeting toward the sea.

Then a lift boat is ejected from the side of the ship, Zeevan at its helm. IT can hold maybe a dozen people. This smaller boat flies around like a mini airship. A few more were still usable down in the hold, and a few moments later a second one launches as one of the ship's crew has reached it and takes it out.

You don't have long before the Golden Dragon Airship slams into the sea killing everyone on board, maybe you can save a few others.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

She's Going Down!

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri May 14, 2021 3:29 am

Taris turns her back on the people on deck. Lady of the Silver Flame, be my guide, be my judge. She goes down below and rouses passengers who are closer to the hold who can get there in time. She places Alrak in the lifeboat, rather than continue to lug him around and potentially injure him further that way, and hoists someone else on her shoulder to replace him.
With my boots of Haste active, I'll rush and tap passengers to fill the lifeboat, but I won't dally. If we manage to fill the lifeboat, I will then take back my potion of Levitation and enact the plan I meant for Zeevan if she opts to stay on the lifeboat and control it. I won't take up space on the boat, I'm certain I can make this Levitation strat work. Taris will time her descent and drink it, and break the fall for the person she "geronimo's" with. If she believes she can carry someone with her (any lightweight humanoid, or a gnome, or one of Alrak's brothers, or even a Small-sized Beastman), she'll grab them and jump. No time to explain, hold on tight!

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

She's Going Down!

Post by Othniel » Mon May 17, 2021 11:59 pm

Ceridwen stowes her staff and begins her transformation into the largest flying creature she can think of. Hopefully one or two could perhaps climb aboard and she could grab Summer Blossom. Otherwise, she would let the tiger go. It was a bitter thought.
Plan is to turn into, I dunno, a quetzalcoatlus maybe, to ride down, and then in the water, transform again into an archelon (huge turtle) to be a ride. If I have time before I transform, I'll cast Beastspeak so I can talk.

ManWithDoor

She's Going Down!

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri May 21, 2021 12:28 am

Zeevan's ninja training gives her a natural grace on movement and controls, but she is still very grateful that the controls of the Lifeboat haven't been particularly demanding. If highly specialized knowledge was needed to operate it, she'd already been nose-diving to the unforgiving ocean surface below.

Being as careful as she can manage, she tries to pull up alongside the falling airship, to allow people to begin boarding. She is not heartless, but priority would be towards her friends and able-bodied crew that can still fight - after all, there are raiders still literally flying around them. But in the chaos she doesn't anticipate having much choice beyond grabbing a fear nearby people, and then peeling off before the danger becomes too great.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

She's Going Down!

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 21, 2021 6:20 pm

Two lifeboats are now in the air, Zeevan with one, Taris another. The two are loading from different locations. Zeevan is up along side and a few guards leap in, one of the halflings and some random passengers, but after that its impossible the ship is falling too fast and too steep an angle for Zeevan to be of any more use.

Taris loads those below, a few people who aren't pinned to the ceiling or rolling around. Another guard, the cook and his dog who he refuses to give up on, and another passenger. Then she has to eject the ship out the side, even then the lifeboat takes damage from the angle of the ship and the speed of the decent.

Ceridwen shape changes into a massive flying creature and grabs up Summer Blossom. Right there next to the tiger is a child holding on for deal life screaming and screaming.....

The Golden Dragon Airship is now racing out of control, those that can be saved have been, in mere moments it will crash into the sea killing all still aboard. You can just make out the captain and his first mate holding on for deal life at the helm doing down with the ship.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

She's Going Down!

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat May 22, 2021 12:26 am

With her gaze fixed on the men at the helm, Taris watches in stunned silence as the ship goes down. Then, she gets to work.

With assistance from one of the ship's crew or staff, Taris tinkers with the controls to get a handle on steering and driving the boat, and starts looking for another full lifeboat.

While she looks for the other boat, she figures the logistics for getting people to land. They're going to need food and water, obviously, and there's plenty of water below them to dip down and gather up, if they can boil it, and she could fish from the sea. Storms and the sun are going to be the most relentless threats.

"I'm going to try and find the friends I came with. One of them has magic. With her help, we'll have an easier time trying to reach to the continent. But for right now, we need to make tarps, and gather things to tie them down with. The weather will be our biggest enemy. Does this boat come with any provisions?"

She doesn't mention the possibility that the hostile force that bombed the ship may still be around.
Survival +10
Navigation check: how many days toward land? What are our options for where to come ashore? It's been two days as the crow flies toward Sharn...

ManWithDoor

She's Going Down!

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 am

Zeevan solemnly salutes the captain and first mate going down with the ship, although she assumes they would much rather not be dying in a couple moments. But there's nothing he can do at this point. His lifeboat is full up, and the ship's descent is too steep and fast to try another rescue regardless.

Since danger is likely still about, he dives for the sea's surface as fast as he can manage safely. At least then he'll really only need to watch out for bombers above, rather than literally every direction high and low.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

She's Going Down!

Post by Othniel » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:11 pm

"Climb on my back, little one," Ceridwen speaks down to the child. "And hang on for dear life."