Book 3: Chapter 1 - Strait to It

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Book 3: Chapter 1 - Strait to It

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 pm

How did the dinos get free in the first place? With their druid friend preoccupied... "I'm sorry, if they can't be controlled, we'll put them down. Where's your room?"

(MWD, If there's a room near us, should we move him together?)

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:06 am

Zeevan helps move the man out of the hallway into an empty room, so at least he is stable and away from the dinosaurs. "I can go in invisibly, and try to stop whatever is riling them up. I'd rather not kill any of them if possible. The ship is under attack, and I think this is meant to distract a lot of people so their assault goes undefended." He makes ready to start up his ninja abilities, and go in and take care of business.
I say we stash them in whatever room is closest and unlocked. People can get uppity about their room becoming an impromptu infirmary later.

With 1 Ki point (swift action) I can turn Invisible for 8 rounds. Usually I use it in combat so I can sneak attack by myself, but in this situation it would likely be super useful as utility.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:38 pm

"That's a smart idea. You take care of that, and I'll join the guards who charged ahead of us and keep them alive." The Grey Maiden sounds committed to her course of action...
Let's do both. You can go invisible and sustain that for however long you need to uncover the problem. Taris will defend the soldiers and anyone else hurt or trapped.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:51 pm

"Oh, bother," Ceridwen mutters. Then from around her slender neck, she lifts the entwined divine focus of holly and mistletoe druids use to cast spells and gestures with her staff, calling out in a loud clear voice to summon holy fire from the sky.
May as well call attention to myself. Let's cast Flame Strike on the one that's scooped up a dude while he's still over the ship, but only if I can avoid hitting the innocent party by clever spell placement. I have very few ranged options right now.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Chaos on the Ship

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:26 pm

Down below the wounded Halfling is pull into a room out of the way. He shouts, "Don't kill them! That's my lively hood on the line, I need them alive or I'm ruined, and I'll be broke." You offer to try and not kill the dinos, but you'll see.

Taris moves to help keep the guards alive, while Zeevan moves forward and when its time he vanishes from sight. You both break into the hold climbing down a set of spiral stairs from the deck above where the animals were being stored. The cargo bay is where the majority of the cargo is stored. In the floor of the bay, trapdoors were originally built to allow the airship to drop troops or elemental-powered carts. The cargo bay can also be exited by a large portal at the rear of the vessel, up a retractable ramp. This massive door can be opened ot closed to load cargo when the ship is docked. Five soarwood air skiffs are also here, ready for deployment in each of the bays. Large hatches on the exterior walls can be opened. The skiffs could each easily hold 6 passengers.

There are half a dozen open cages, raptors are running amuck throughout the cargo bay. Three guards are engaged with the dinosaurs but two of them are already badly wounded and they are shouting for a retreat. You also spy on the far side of the hold, opposite the raptors a mountain of adamantine and iron. Its a Warforged, eyes burning fiercely as it raises and enormous serrated claw. The maw of the warforged opens wide, a cry like metal on metal piercing the air. Tucked under his arm is a some arcane contraption, you don't know what it is, but it can't be good as it pulses with magical energy in a dangerous looking manner.
Eb-Cargo1.JPG
Eb-Cargo1.JPG (36 KiB) Viewed 144 times
You guys come down the yellow stairs
Black Dots = Velociraptors
Blue = Ship Guards
Red = The Warforged
Eb2-Warforged.JPG
Eb2-Warforged.JPG (149.45 KiB) Viewed 144 times
-----
Up on the deck Ceridwen has to show herself or the poor passanger is going overboard to his dead. So she summons a powerful strike of flame that lances down from the clouds and hits the drow rider and the glidewing beast, but only licks around the innocent man. The flames torch their target and all three crash into the deck. Draw and glidewing are ash covered and dead, while the poor man is crushed under them hurt, but he'll recover.

That however draws the attention of two more riders who bank and swoop toward the druid. She has a moment as they close range before they strike.

All around the deck guards are fighting with crossbows or swords, and people are screaming and running.
Flame STrike Ref Saves

-----------------------------
Rolled:

1d20: (1)
-----------------------------
Rolled:

1d20: (3)

Well those are fails!

Rolled:

8d6: (3,6,4,2,4,1,5,3)
Totaling: 28
Adding 0 = 28 Dmg

We will stay focused on a small fight with you. You won init, so you then me.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Chaos on the Ship

Post by Othniel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:56 am

"Well, that worked Summer!" the druidess shouts to her tiger. Gesturing at the new rides, she instructs the creature, "See if you can grab one so we can find out why they are attacking!"
I should still have all my buffs up, so Ceridwen is going to ready an attack against one creature's mount, and instruct Summer Blossom to do the same. If it hits, I'd like to activate her Grab ability for a grapple.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Chaos on the Ship

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:40 pm

No sooner than she readies her flail, Taris realizes she actually does have the option to "spare" the beasts, thanks to the enchantment on it. Wincing, she points at the warforged after it screeches. "There, that's our problem," she says to nobody visibly present. "Get rid of that artifact."

With her shield up, she charges at the far centermost raptor, leaning in as she runs, and calling out to the ship's guards: "Withdraw! Regroup!"

She barks commands at the raptors in Celestial. Not to communicate, or to dominate. Merely to draw their attention.
Oh, that looks greeeaaat. We might actually be the ones in trouble...

Full Action: Charge & Bull Rush
- End of movement: from "17", 3 East and 1 South
- Target 3rd Raptor from "17". Push raptor South but don't move with.
Activate Stand Still (Action Point for an oppy)

The idea is that I've gotten Raptor 1 & 2 in Threat range and I can hold them next to me, but also push Raptor 3 back and force it to potentially lose Full Attack trying to reach me.

Lucky roll for Ceridwen! Go get 'em!

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Chaos on the Ship

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:10 am

Nobody is visibly present, so clearly the air wouldn't reasonably respond to Taris' statement. Zeevan moves across the room, skirting the fight between the angry lizards and the wounded guards. He isn't liking seeing even more of this dangerous-looking Warforged, as the guy is much scarier close up.
General idea is spending this entire round just double moving across the map to get near him (move 12xSouth from the Stairs). +18 Stealth plus Invisibility, so I'm not too worried about being detected on the approach. Next round use my +18 in Sleight of Hand to try to steal the Contraption from him and run like hell! :P
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Chaos on the Ship

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:54 pm

As Taris shouts commands at the ship guard and into the air she charges into the fray. She draws the focus of the dinosaurs with a bit too much skill, the trio turn their focus on her hissing and screeching! Zeevan slips around battle, she's not visible at the moment and closes the gap easily. The guards are stalwart, and don't fall back. One of them calls out, "We won't abandon our post! We got your back!" The swing blades slicing a creature here or there for minor damage.

Up on the deck Ceridwen and Blossom target one of the mounts of the flying creatures. She readies, and a glidewing swoops down, she unleashes a minor strike, but Blossom pounces and leaps atop it grabbing it and pulling it down to the deck. The rider tumbles off as the tiger tears into the creature.

Yet as good as things seem, things take a terrible turn for the worse almost without warning. The warforged in the hold takes the contraption its holding and looks up at the ceiling of the hold, then tosses it into the air. Flashing dragonshards along its side begin to light up faster and faster and faster just as it sticks to the ceiling of the hold. The oscillating lights then go solid and the ship is rocked by an explosion so terrible that it throws people on the deck to their feet and knocks a glidewing rider from a mount from the shockwave even that high up. The debris and smoke field of the arcane elemental bomb fills the hold. There is screaming and screeching from those in the hold. Its impossible to see see clearly down in the hold for a moment, then the smoke is sucked out of the ship as a thirty foot hole in the port side of the ship is revealed. At this altitude there is some sucking effect that pulls the smoke out of the fast moving airship. Taris and Zeevan are stunned to see half the side of the ship missing, the hold is in flames, and half of the lifeboats are nothing but debris.

Then it gets worse, the ship banks, there is a crackling noise and then the sound of something powering down.

Up on the deck Ceridwen is thrown to the deck and slides as the ship start to bank. Her eyes look up as people are screaming in terror, one of the crew screams, "The Ring! The Ring!" All eyes turn on the elemental ring that keep the ship in the air.... its just burned out! The arcane bomb perfectly targeted the engine room where the elemental is trapped. The engine has been blown to pieces, and the elemental has escaped, and the ring is now innert!

The whole ship begins to plummet from the sky. It banks hard and the bow dips, and people and raptors slide out of the massive hole. On the deck some people experience some weightlessness. A few that weren't holding on are lost overboard.

The entire ship is going down, its going to crash into the ocean 1000 feet below!!!!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Chaos on the Ship

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:38 am

Taris feels a sudden dread, and takes a spin before she can react, but manages to grab onto the bars of a raptor cage. "Grab onto something!"

Unable to find Zeevan, she draws a potion from her pack and says, "Zeevan, take this!" Once the potion is out of her hands, she adds quietly, "Not right now! It's levitation. Drink it before you hit the water."

With that, she clicks her heels together, activating her enchanted boots, and bolts, racing back to her guest room to get her weapons and her bags of holding.
I'm taking liberty with what ManWithDoor will do when I offer the potion. But otherwise, I have to pause my plan to let DM tell me what happens next.

After I get my things, here's what I plan to do:

- Sprint to Alrak and pick him up in my arms, broken leg and all.
- Go to the top deck with Alrak, ostensibly to tell Ceridwen what happened.

Then hopefully, Ceridwen transforms into a unicorn, I get on with Alrak, and we fly down looking for Zeevan as the ship falls. Don't know what to do for Blossom, but my horse and equipment left on/with him is definitely gone. RIP