Prologue: Dustbowl

Using the new rules offered by Fantasy Flight Games, 'Heroes' Journey' will take players from the events transpiring just after Episode IV: A New Hope, through Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, and beyond! Expect familiar characters and situations from the movies, but don't let your expectations get the best of you: 'Heroes' Journey' may deviate from canon in new and exciting ways so that your character experiences all that the Star Wars Universe has to offer. Start the game with a character typical of those described in 'Edge of the Empire,' FFG's first SW rulebook, and evolve as new books are released. Finally, each character will start with access to the 'Force Sensitive' specialization and talent tree, though they are in no way limited to playing a character that focuses on the Force as part of their concept.Run by he GM Bo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Prologue: Dustbowl

Post by Shurijo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 am

Campal Hippo heads off and Xan smile widens. The smuggler stands up to stretch as he peers across the room. He takes in his opponents and crew members in their various locations and notes their proximity.

flelm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by flelm » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:19 pm

Teez idly watches Szara and Xan from the end of the bar, paying them no special attention. Sipping on a glass of medium-priced synth whiskey and water on the rocks, he scans the crowd for signs of unsavory characters, especially thugs he might recognize. Seeing Xan win his hand, he nods his head in aacknowledgment.

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo

Post by Bo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:24 am

rolling for Haya
Szara is matched up against a human named Buzz Gimbo. The ante is put and the cards begin to fall. "Hope you're as talented in cards as you are in the look department," says Buzz, laughing. He is a tall, stout man with a red nose.

It looks like the Chiss is going to win but then one of the pips on her cards changes and she busts... barely!!

Gimbo says. "Looks like I'll be advancing to the next round. Seeya, kid..."
Fail, 1 advantage. Haya : You can pass along a boost die to one partner of your choosing. RP a way you could make that happen :)

Flelm and MK. By RP, be creative and think of some checks you could make to swing things in your favor.
The tourment continues and Nova and Xan make it through a few more bracket spots. They are getting near the end and are in the quarterfinals.

Xan is now faced with Buzz Gimbo and Novar is playing against a female rodian....
Make your rolls. This time it's against a difficulty of 2, but you both can downgrade if you choose.... If you don't want to roll, I can do it for you.
~Bo~

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Sorry for missing this one too. :oops:
"Thank you," the Chiss comments evenly. She's excited to win but none actually shows on her stoic outside. When she fails her task there's no larger reaction either. "Well, I wish you the best of luck. If you encounter a human with a hat be mindful though. He plays much smarter than he appears to be. I met him before this tournament and let me say that I am not able to leave Tatooine without some debt to him."
Pass it to Xan.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:57 am

No problem, Haya. I'll be last to blame someone for posting slow or falling behind.. happens to me all the time.
~Bo~

flelm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by flelm » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:10 pm

As the first round ends, and Szara is eliminated while Xan goes on, Teez hatches a plan and begins to work his way around the room. Recognizing Buzz from a small job they once worked together, Teez attempts to gain his confidence and lead him astray.

Once behind Xan, and opposite Buzz, he mimes holding a hand of cards, nods down at Xan and winks. During the play, Teez surreptitiously tries to lead Buzz astray by giving him incorrect values of Xan's cards with hand signals, and slight nods and shakes of his head when Buzz tries to bet.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Watching the others win, Jax settles on the railing behind Szara with a fresh drink in his hand; surprisingly untouched. He watches the action then gets a bit excited when he think that all three of his companions are going to move on to the next round when the fickle cards change and Szara busts out. Out of the corner of his eye, he notices their new Bothan friend doing the same thing.

As both participants congratulate each other, he watches Szara go but keeps his eyes on Buzz. After a minute, he puts his best smile on, which is not much to say the least, and walks up to Buzz drink in hand. Slapping him on the back he says "Well played Buzz! I've been watching you all match and let me just say that my money is on you" says Jax as he winks at Buzz. "Here, let me buy you a drink to celebrate." Jax hands the player the untouched drink in his hand and pulls the flack out of his jacket pocket that somehow is full again.

"Here's to your victory" Jax says as he raises his flask in honor of Buzz and takes a long pull from the flat bottle. "May your victory win us large piles of cash! And if you have time, I'd love to sit down and hear about how you dominated that lovely blue skinned lady back there"

And with that, he nods his head slightly at Buzz and hopes Buzz follows him to the bar for a couple more drinks before the next round starts.
Trying to get Buzz drunk to make it a bit more difficult for him to play it straight. :-)
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi

Post by Shurijo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Xan and Buzz Gimbo sit at the table as the electronic cards are dealt and randomly change. The smuggler doesn't make any facial movements as his cards appear and then shift. He's played this game many, many times before and he knows when luck is favoring him and when it's not. Hoping to stay in the favor of lady luck, he takes a deep breath as the last card is taken.

When the cards are show, Xan has learned Buzz Gimbo's tell and has fairly and soundly bested him with their hands.
Xan
PR 3, Cool 1 = 2 Agility/green, 1 Prof/yellow dice
2 Difficulty/purple per GM (*downgraded by 1)
1 Force die per Sabacc rules

* +1 Boost die (advantage passed by Haya)
* Downgrade difficulty by 1 (advantage from last session)

Results:
1 prof/yellow = success
2 abil/green = blank, success+advantage
1 boost/blue = success+advantage
1 diff/purple = threat -> advantage
1 force/white = lightside

The Threat is changed to Advantage per Sabacc Force rolls (see OOC thread with what changes with Light/Dark side rolls)

Totals: 3 success, 3 advantages

use 3 advantages to downgrade difficulty of next hand

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:50 am

As the tournament marches on, Xan and Gimbo are matched up. Xan, however, is not without help. Both Jax and Teez use their skills to make sure their friend comes out on top and ends up with a shot at the money.

Before the round starts, Gimbo does indeed take a few drinks with Jax, dulling his wits somewhat.

They are so dull, in fact, that he falls for Teez's ruse, betting poorly and making choices in the game that most consider foolish.

To make matters worse for poor Gimbo, Xan's hands are well-dealt and the roguish human makes short work of the round.

Buzz Gimbo looks frustrated as he looses. He stands, slapping the table and shooting a stare at Teez. "You hustled me!" he stammers. "You haven't seen the end of this!" Then he disappears into the crowd...
Normally I'd maybe do a deception roll for Teez and a persuasion for Jax, but I thought we could just RP it in this case.

I may roll for Tet soon. The next round is going to be the finals: Head on between Xan and Nova (if Nova wins)
~Bo~

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:55 am

Please do. I know the system absolutely 0.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name