Prologue: Dustbowl

Using the new rules offered by Fantasy Flight Games, 'Heroes' Journey' will take players from the events transpiring just after Episode IV: A New Hope, through Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, and beyond! Expect familiar characters and situations from the movies, but don't let your expectations get the best of you: 'Heroes' Journey' may deviate from canon in new and exciting ways so that your character experiences all that the Star Wars Universe has to offer. Start the game with a character typical of those described in 'Edge of the Empire,' FFG's first SW rulebook, and evolve as new books are released. Finally, each character will start with access to the 'Force Sensitive' specialization and talent tree, though they are in no way limited to playing a character that focuses on the Force as part of their concept.Run by he GM Bo
Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Prologue: Dustbowl

Post by Bo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 am

Star Wars: Heroes' Journey

Star Wars: Heroes' Journey
Prologue

While the evil GALACTIC EMPIRE continues to exert its control on the CORE WORLDS, life in the OUTTER RIM remains much the same as it has for a millenia.

Every day, however, rumors of a REBELLION grow and it seems the EMPEROR and his enforcer, DARTH VADER must use more and more resources to maintain their tenuous grip on the galaxy.

On the EDGE OF THE EMPIRE, some wish to stay out of the line of fire, while others hope to profit from the conflict.

In this middle-ground and on the desert planet of TATOOINE, our heroes take their first steps into a larger world and towards GREATNESS or INFAMY...
~Bo~

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Re: Prologue: Dustbowl

Post by Bo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:12 am

Midday, 10 kilometers outside Mos Eisley, Tatooine...

"C'mon, Irwin!" calls a topaz skinned Twi'lek. She exits one of the many storerooms of her business and does a jaunty hop and then a slide over a dusty counter. She pushes hydrospanners and other tools out of the way as she does so, causing them to fall to the ground with a disconcerting 'clang.'

She stands, looking at her chrono on her left wrist. Shapely in the way that only females of the Twi'lek species can be, with long, lean muscles but curves that could kills, she again calls out for her assistant. "Irwin! Hurry up!! We haven't got long before open. Today's the day! I know it!" She pauses. "Today's the day we get in the black and turn a profit!!!"

Irwin, a tall and gangly human male, walks out of the store room behind her. He has three crates, one stacked on top of the other, in his hands and then sits them on the counter and then wipes his greasy mits on his overalls. "Oh yea?" he says. "I hope so. Those ships we got from the auction last week... Well - they have a little work we still need to do on 'em but they're valuable. I agree, Keela - TODAY'S THE DAY!"

Keela smiles and musses Irwin's hair. She reaches to her right, back across the counter, and powers on the transaction terminal. "C'mon, grease monkey," she says, "let's get out there and inspect the inventory before any customers arrive...."
~Bo~

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:18 am

Keela and Irwin walk out of the shopfront towards the lot where they keep their used ships for sale. They walk past a YT freighter, a Ghtroc, several speeders and speederbikes and even an old Imperial shuttle that seems to be in no flying condition.

As they go, Irwin waves to those he knows: a chadra fan, another human, a Gran and a Rodian. Keela winks at a few herself.

A year ago, the pair had migrated from nearbye Mos Eisley and opened up the used shipyard. With them, other business has grown: Nearbye is a vaporator repair shop and vendor, a cantina, a gambling den and a small inn for travelers passing through ... or those who wanted to stay out of the congestion of Mos Eisley.

In the next few minutes, the pair are done inspecting their ships:

"All go, Irwin?" Keela asks.
"All go," answers the human.
They sit on the ramp of one of the ships... waiting for customers, talking quietly and enjoying each other's company...
Welcome to the game! Hope you enjoyed Keela and Irwin. They are nice folks :) Pose in wherever you'd like! Lot's of opportunities here in this environment! Have fun!
~Bo~

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi

Post by Shurijo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:05 pm

In a smokey and poorly lit backroom of the cantina, Xanatos Shadewind eagerly eyes his sabaac cards. With a total score of 20, he is close to the target 23 but still far enough away that anyone could hit the number. With the initial two cards in hand, he presses the button on the two cards to freeze their values so they do not randomly change to worse cards.

Typically, at better establishments, there's an interference field where he can push a face-down card into and cards within this field will not randomly change, but in this cantina, he's just lucky they have a automated sabaac dealer droid.

Looking across the table, he tries to infer the hands of the other players: A rodian bounty hunter and two local humans, claiming to be moisture farmers but who's fared too well to not be hustlers. Xan knows the game and the players, setting expectations low is often a ruse of lesser skilled players -or- highly skilled players trying to be perceived as lesser skilled players.

When the shifting phase comes, a few of the other three players' cards randomly change as Xan watches their expressions. Having frozen his cards, he then considers whether he'll draw a card or stay with his 20 points.

Xan presses the button to receive an additional card and when it appears, the card's face shows the Command of Staves valued at 12 points, putting Xan's total at 32 points and 9 points from the target. Another round passes with adding more credits to the pool and this time, Xan allows his third card to receive the randomization pulse and it shifts to a card valued at 2, giving him 22 points and only one point shy of 23.

The rodian calls and it's followed by calls from the two humans. Hoping his 22 points is close enough to win, Xan also calls. On the reveal, he shows his two 10s and 2 point cards to the stunned faces of the other players. The rodian had -20, the first human had 21, and the last human.... 23!

"Well, I'll be a baby bantha," Xan sighs as he reaches for his drink glass and finishes it off.

The winning human then stands up and collects the credits, transferred to his credit chip. Standing up alongside the human, the other human looks over at Xan as Xan stands from his chair.

Xanatos picks his long brimmed hat from his lap and places it on his head. Swinging his long and thick overcoat, he slides his arms into the sleeves and then nods to the other players. His unshaven and scruffy looking face fits in with the local humans who don't care as much for fancy clothing or clean shaven faces.

As he turns to leave, the losing human shouts, "You cheated!"

Xan has heard the words before, many times, by a losing player. Taking his time, he turns and says, "I did not cheat friend. I lost. Why would I lose if I cheated? That would make me a bad cheater or a stupid player."

"That card was suppose to be mine. I'd have gotten 23, with that 2." The losing human retorts.

"I can't help that. I got the 2 and I still lost." As Xan speaks with the man, the rodian and the winning human step back and get lost within crowds of the dimly lit cantina.

Moments later, Xan is nearly thrown out of the cantina and stumbles to keep from falling down in the street after being hustled through the cantina doors. Kneeling down to pick up his hat, he turns and looks back up at the cantina and places it back on his head as he stands.

"Well, that went better than I thought." He says to himself as stands outside the cantina wiping the sand from his coat. He then begins to look up and down the street, hoping to find another cantina where he can at least get a drink or watch some entertainment.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Love the intro. :D
Leaving the cantina a few moments after the hustled man, a Chiss steps through the doors. Inside she has barely watched a few parties of sabacc but kept more focused on the Corellian Brandy for most of the time. Though credits are something the blue-skinned bounty hunter does not have in abundance it's better than doing nothing only sitting around and waiting for the game to be over in a dimly lit booth. During the wait she's chatted a bit to gather a bit of local rumors and other things though the cold and distant personality turned away pretty much anyone after some time. At least until a brawl broke out. Fortunately it didn't end with an ozone smell in the air and empty power cells. And a couple dead of course.

"So, how did it go?" Szara asks either oblivious or ignoring the comment to what Xanatos said as she drags the human who accused another of cheating out, now trapped in a headlock by the Chiss, apparently to defuse the situation inside. "Want to give it another try somewhere else or get off this dustball?"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Xanatos knows the voice of Szara, so he doesn't turn. Instead, he continues to look up and down the streets as if he was searching for something. He replies, "Better than expected. Yeah, let's see if we can find a way off this dustball."

He then turns back around to look at Szara holding the accuser in a headlock. "You can let him go. The best way to not be accused as the cheater is to accuse someone else first. Of course, that implies that only one person was cheating. When everyone at the table cheats, then all bets are off."

Smiling, he straightens his hat once more and throws back his coat to show twin blasters holstered on his hips. Unbeknownst to the locals, his blasters are mostly for show to match his words. Xan hates drawing his blasters and hates even more when he needs to use them.

As the man falls to the ground, Xan casts a wryly smile towards Szara saying, "I knew you were more than just a pretty face and brains when I first met you."

Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out a two colored die and tosses it into the air and catches it. "Blue, so let's head that way."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:10 pm

"You did not cheat?" The Chiss asks, releasing the men to let him drop to the ground. Her voice is humorless and no expression on her face reveals that it is. "Don't answer that, I retract the question because I think I do not want to know."

Like Xan Szara is armed but her blasters are not for show at all. Neither the ones visible nor the other hidden and she has no qualms to pull the trigger if the need to use them arrives. The only remnants of the Chiss Ascendancy, aside from blue skin and glowing red eyes are the chromium-plated blaster pistols. "I am what is needed, Xan. I like blue," she adds with a smirk, only noticeable if one looks very, very closely. "What're we looking at when it comes to a ship?"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Xan rubs his scruffy, two week old beard and replies, "Something that flys - everything else is secondary. At least that's what an old friend used to say."

He walks towards the direction in step with Szara. Having already forgotten about the sabacc game, he says, "I hope they have more than a bucket of bolts here."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:19 pm

"Understood," Szara replies tersely. "I would not be surprised if they try to sell a bucket of bolts as they probably sell anything around here. I'm afraid I do not know a mechanic so that's one thing we need. Maybe even beforehand because evaluating spacecrafts is not part of my expertise."

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:44 pm

An older looking human (although he is truly young) with dry leathery skin, dark blue eyes and a fully scruffy bearc is sitting at the bar when he hears a human begin to babble about cheating. Jax doesn't even bother to turn and look, he simply downs his drink and yells for the bartender to pour him another. "And this time it better be real whiskey, not some synth crap" yells Jax!

One for the road thinks the human as the brawl breaks out. After the last drink is finished, he slams down a few credits making sure he doesn't leave a tip and follows the human cowboy and blue skinned chiss enforcer out of the dive they stopped in.

After the Chiss drops the man from her headlock, Jax bends down to check his pulse. "I hate people" mumbles the Human as he makes sure the other one is still alive. "Nice headlock you got there Szara, you're pefecting it I see. He's unconscious but not dead this time" says Jax with a gruff voice.

"I could give a sarlac's ass where we go next, it just better be someplace witha a stocked bar, that garbage they served in the last one was worse than space fuel. Corellian Whiskey my ass.." grumbles Jax.

His words have a slight slur to them and alcohol is strong on his breath. "Can one of you lend me a few credits, I dropped my last ones at that bantha sty of a place we just left" ask's the Human?
Last edited by mysticknight232 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?