Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10018
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Ringing Bell: Main Cellar

Post by Muskrat » Mon May 24, 2021 9:35 pm

Varuthil whispers to Glirion, "Then perhaps it is best for you to scout. But we will come swiftly if you need us."

User avatar
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
Posts: 2036
Location: Kansas
User Class: Wanderer

A Ringing Bell: Main Cellar

Post by Wbweather » Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 pm

Gerwald nods in agreement and prepares to follow the elf along with the others.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66361
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:45 pm

Glirion leads the way...

The decorated archway that opens in the main cellar leads to a short flight of marble steps descending into the darkness. At the end of it, a reinforced door defaced by claw marks is found. What is beyond the door you can only guess as for when Glirion tries it it is held tight.
TOR-FloodedChamber1.jpg
TOR-FloodedChamber1.jpg (84.36 KiB) Viewed 32 times
You are in that NE passage with the small stairs
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10018
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:18 pm

Varuthil mimes listening at the door, though she does not do so herself, since she suspects one of the others will be better at it.
The appropriate skill seems to be Search, which Varuthil only has a 1 in.

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3751
Location: The Old Forest

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:37 pm

Finn listens carefully as they cross the threshold of each side passage, trying to hear any footsteps or noises signaling where Hild might be.

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 181
User Class: Rigger

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Graven » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:13 pm

In a low whisper, Heva looks at the door, "That seems secure for now, surely your friend didn't go that way?"
No more help here
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1376
User Class: Wanderer

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Othniel » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:57 pm

Glirion continues forward, wary and quiet as only an elf (or perhaps hobbit) can be.
Listen 2 for me.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66361
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Listening at the door there is a soft noise from the other side. Its impossible make out completely, but it has the feeling of movement, of boots on stone.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3751
Location: The Old Forest

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:27 pm

Does Finn detect anything from the side passages, not the one where the others are listening at the door?

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66361
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Finn, letting the others deal with the noises behind the door, does find some watery prints in the southwest tunnel, the natural like cavern.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Post Reply