Book 1: Act 1 - Don't Leave the Path

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Wuduseld and Chieftain Ingomer Axebreaker

Post by Muskrat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Varuthil shrugs at Aerth's warning. She has no issue with Wren--she was merely annoyed with his nattering. He should know her better than to play the fool around her--others might find amusement in it, but she does not.

She follows Aerth to the hall, looking about at everything with keen and obvious curiosity. She makes a formal curtsy to Ingomer and says, "Thank you for welcoming us to your community. We are most appreciative. If there is any news you would know of the Woodland Elves or Dale, please ask us and we will answer as best we can."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Ignomer Axebreaker calls to the woman that let you in, and has her bring some mugs of ale for those that have asked for it. "News of Dale? So far off and far away. What happens on the eastern side of Mirkwood is hardly of interest to us." She holds a hand up, "I know that is not completely true, but it feels a world away. I would hear your news eventually, if you the time."

He pulls his hide up tighter around his shoulder, the heat of the fire is warm, but he enjoys keeping the cold at bay with a bit extra. "Tell me, what could you have come here to speak to me about besides news and fine mugs of ale?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 am

Aerth nods, "We found something on our way," he says, pulling out the shard. "I assume you recognize it." He extends the ancient axe-piece to Ignomer, "Here, take a look for yourself."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 pm

The Chieftain reaches out and picks up the axe head shard as mugs of ale are brought out to the group. He puts his pipe down and rolls the piece over in his hands. Tears begin to form in his eyes, he grows silent and distant. Swallowing hard, and trying not to break down he looks through watery eyes at Aerth, "Wolfbiter, how came you by this?" He pushes down his emotions and then turns his eyes to the axe, "This once belonged to my son. He was taken captive by the Orcs of Dol Guldur long ago." Choking up he pauses and waits for a reply before managing to say more.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:26 pm

"Your son?" Aerth considers for a moment, attempting to come up with the correct words to ease the man's pain or concern. "It was given to us by a hermit, of sorts. He was living in Mirkwood. Pipkin here made him a meal which he enjoyed, and he gave us the shard as a gift. I figured you should have it."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

A Father's Pain

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Ignomer turns the axe head over and over in his hands, he starts speaking but not so much to you, just to himself or to his son. The fire crackles, and the mood is soft and silent, his words only more than a whisper, "It was decades ago, we were on a hunt, the Orcs came out of no where. I tried to save him, so many were killed, more were taken. The power of the dark tower was too great then, we had no hopes to breach it. I had told myself he was dead, I had hoped he was. To be locked up and tortured in such a place. No father could stand to bare the thought." He tucks the shard into his hand on his lap.

His voice grows, "You will tell me where this hermit was. I wish to speak to him." He looks up, wiping his tears away. "Thank you. Thank you all so much. You are welcome in the Woodmen lands for as long as you want. I will make it know you are friends of the Woodmen, and of me. For now however I would like to be alone."
You may now consider Woodland Hall AND Woodmen-Town Sanctuaries.

We will wrap this RP up and roll into the Fellowship Phase!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: A Father's Pain

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:18 pm

With a frown, Aerth nods, "I will give you as complete directions as possible." He is now extremely happy they took care of the well. "I would even lead you there, if that is what you wish. You have always been kind to me and my kin." Standing, the half-elf begins to direct the others to leave so that Ignomer can grieve on his own.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 pm

Pipkin steps up and says, "I'm so very sorry about your son. But where there's life there's hope, as my old gaffer always said."
Use Fair-Spoken and True-Hearted traits to make it sound respectful and sincere.
Last edited by Trogdor on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:24 pm

Varuthil says to Ignomer, "I will also gladly go with you to lead you to the hermit. You are kind to us, taking us in here, and the hermit was kind, taking us in as strangers, despite the constant fear he must live in in the midst of Mirkwood." For once, there is emotion in Varuthil's voice--it is filled with sorrow and pity. Ignomer's story reminds her too much of the deaths of her own parents--which may be another reason she offers to accompany them. "I must warn you, sir, that the hermit is not well in the mind. His captivity among the orcs and living alone for so long in Mirkwood have ... well, he is slightly mad. You should prepare yourself for that, as well as the possibility he might not even recognize you any longer."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:27 am

Borir finishes off the mug of ale with a gulp. His frothy beard now covered with foam, he interjects, "And mah axe, too! There 're wild things in that forest that no person should ever set their eyes on."