Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

Post by Eilandor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Wren looks at Varuthil and smiles, "It is indeed!" His eyes wander to the bow she was just gifted, "Very nice, perhaps you might join myself and Imnachar on our next foray into the woods. I have learned much from him, techniques very different from our own, but no less effective." Wren tries to gauge Varuthil's facial expressions, "Well that is if you have time...or even want to." Shaking his head, "What have you been up to these past few weeks?"

As he waits for a response, Pull it together! She is of your kind, at the very least I should be able to speak to her without stumbling all over myself...
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:38 pm

"Perhaps," say Varuthil, her face stony and cold as it usually is. "It can't hurt to learn more woodcraft. I've been doing what you see me doing--helping out with the herb gardens, learning some things about what the Woodmen use in their medicine in the process."

She has also been studying the people she works with more closely. Her motivation in joining Wren in hunting is less to learn woodcraft, then to see how people think when they do it. Now that she has started looking more deeply into how people's minds work, she finds it fascinating.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Not expecting much as Varuthil's expression continues to be what he has always known it to be, stern, she catches him off guard and says perhaps. His eyes open wider and his smile returns, "Great!" Wren leans a bit and eyes Aerth continuing to work in the garden. "Well, I will let you get back to your work." Gesturing his hand toward Imnachar, "I suppose I should too. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Pipkin doesn't intrude upon the conversation with the envoy of the Elf King, though he's clearly interested. but he definitely lavishes some attention on Wren's new bow. "It's magnificent," he can't help saying. "I mean all of the elvish bows I've seen are extraordinarily nice. But this one takes the biscuit."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Varuthil's the one with the new bow.
Varuthil smiles briefly at the hobbit, enjoying his honest, untutored enthusiasm. "Yes," she says, "it's a fine bow, probably the work of master bowyers. It's good to know that the king appreciates what we did in asking him to come out here. He can be ... proud sometimes."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 pm

The a few of the group takes to talking and soon are over with Aerth helping with the garden that Varuthil was working on. Weren waves good bye for now and helps Imnachar with their kill.

There is peace in Woodland Hall for many weeks to come, and little things are done, like planting herb gardens, hunting, training dogs, working on your swing or archery. Borir has set up shop among the Woodmen and the forge there rings out all day with his craft as he makes them nails, spades, shovels and other tools. Some days he works on arrow heads or the occasional knife. He's re-rimmed his own shield with some stout iron as well. You see him at meal times, or in the evening drinking in the mead halls. He talks of home, of Erebor often, but seems content to spend the summer just here on the edge of Mirkwood and the Wild.

July 25th, Summer, Woodland Hall

Word reaches you that Radagast the Brown is on his way to town and that he hopes to speak with your little fellowship. The Brown Wizard quickly returned to Rosgobel after the battle, he spent some time in council with King Thranduil, but then hurried off on some urgent matter saying he had remained in Woodland Hall for 'far to long'.

You make ready to meet with the wizard in Wuduseld, invited by Chief Ignomer as well. So on the evening of the 17th, a very hot and humid evening you find yourselves sitting around a table, with drinks and food half eaten waiting for the Brown Wizard. Pipkin has just finished telling a very humorous tale about a Took cousin of his that got himself into trouble with someone called Farmer Maggot for stealing mushrooms.

The door swings open and the silhouette of the pointed hatted man some called the Bird-Tamer is there leaning on his staff. "My, what a merry gathering, a shame I had to arrive so late." Radagast the Brown tromps into the room but not before removing his hat and hanging it on a peg near the door. "I am glad to see you all gathered."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Varuthil stands and says, quite formally, "It is an honor to be invited to meet with you."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Aerth remains silent, nodding simply to the arrival of Radagast. He respects the wizard unlike some of his ancient elven breathern. The half-elf leans against a pillar, crossing his arms over his chest as he waits for the old 'man' to address them.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Wren laughs as he listens to Pipkin's story, all the while chipping away at some bread and ale in either hand. "Farmer Maggot! You must tell me Pipkin, was that really his name? Seems his parents had it in..." He abruptly cuts his inquiry short as Radagast enters. Quickly finishing his bread and taking a final gulp of his ale, Wren wonders what will become of this meeting.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Borir is chuckling as well along with Wren. "Maggot is a terrible family name, as bad as Grubb, which I've heard is a Hobbit name as well." The dwarf has been drinking pretty steadily but doesn't appear too drunk. When Radagast arrives the group grows quite along with Borir.

The Brown Wizard leans his staff against a carved post and takes a seat. "Don't mind me, finish your story." When its clear the tale is over he pours himself a mug of ale, and takes a nice long pull from it to 'wash away the road' he says. Then dusting his hands off he peers about you. "How fare you all? We didn't get much time to talk after the battle last month, I wanted to make sure you knew I was pleased with your help and your actions. Mighty fine, mighty fine work for all of you. Its good to see elf and dwarf and hobbit all working together as one." He glances at Aerth with a moment of pause as if reading the Half Elf's heart, but he says nothing more about it. "The Wild has need of folks like you, and I may have need of folks like you as well." He finishes his mug then and hands it over to have it refilled.

"Are you planning to remain west of Mirkwood for a time?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring