Book 4: Act 1 - Kinstrife & Dark Tidings

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

A Journey to Rhosgobel: May 28th

Post by TetNak » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Aerth rolls his eyes and steps around the boy at the gate. He follows along with Varuthil without saying anything, hoping to find answers about this terrible totem that they had discovered.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Borir walks past the man and towards the home of Radagast. The dwarf has put away his axe and shield and looks around the site for some food or drink.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Finn thanks the lad and follows the others to the home of Radagast. He suggests Oderic and Tom to introduce themselves to the Woodmen and if invited, to eat and relax.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Meeting of Wizards: May 28th

Post by Vardaen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:52 pm

In through the gate you go, Tom and Oderic break off at the mention of food and more importantly ale to drink. You cross through Rhosgobel and notice a few folks you've seen before. Polite waves, and short greetings are exchanged as you move through the small village.

Radagast’s house is almost as elusive as the Wizard himself. If Radagast wishes to be found, then his house is here in this grove of trees at the end of a little twisty path of crushed white stone. If the Wizard is away or wishes privacy, then there is no house to be found. Today its there. Radagast’s cottage looks like an explosion in a mathom-house that was then colonised by woodland creatures. Squirrels and field mice scurry through piles of books and scrolls, and crows perch on rafters from which cloaks, weapons and gardening tools hang.

You arrive, and knock on the door frame as the door itself is open. A pair of skunks waddle out of the house and into the garden nearby. You hear the old wizard call back, "Yes yes come in, that's why I left the door open for you."

Into the house you go and you find Radagast seated at one of his tables with another old man with him. The other man is shorter in stature than Radagast; but his long white hair, his sweeping silver beard, and his broad shoulders, make him look like some wise king of ancient legend. In his aged face under great snowy brows his eyes are set like coals that could suddenly burst into fire.

The grey clad man sits smoking a pipe, puffing at it with a looks of concern on his face as he watches you enter one by one.

Radagast sits across from him, his brown robes splattered with mud along the hem, and motions you inside. "Well well look who has return. These are the ones I was telling you about Gandalf."

Gandalf, it seems is his name, pauses puffing on his pipe long enough to size you up one and all. "Seems they are missing one, the Hobbit you mentioned, but otherwise, yes I agree with you. They do have that look about them."

Both of the wizards chuckle at your expense.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Varuthil curtsies very formally to Gandalf and says, "It is a honor to meet you, sir. I have heard many tales of you, but I never expected to have the chance to interact with you." She wonders what look it is that they have about them, but is not about to demand such information from wizards.

She gesture's towards whoever is carrying the head and says, "We have brought you something ... evil which we wish you to examine. A group of bandits lead by a man named Valter made an attack on the Beornings. Fortunately, we were able to bring Beorn advance warning and set up a trap for them and defeated them in battle." She pauses, then says, "There is a troubled young man out there who helped set up the ambush. He might benefit from wise council about what course he should take in life. In any case, Valter died in battle--when he did so, he asked about the kingdom that was promised him. And afterwards we found this ... thing on him. We suspect it may tell you who promised him the kingdom and if there is more evil afoot."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Borir takes a whiff of the smoke trying to see if he can identify the pipe-weed. As his companion pulls out the artifact, the dwarf unconsciously takes a step away from the person.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Finn bows to the two old men. "Apologies for interrupting your chat, my good men. I am Finnulf Wyngard, and hail from Esgaroth." The Lakeman keeps his introduction brief, and steps aside as Varuthil shares their purpose for coming. He tries to find a seat to sit and observe and keep out of their way.
Enjoyed seeing Gandalf show up!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:54 pm

With a bow of his head, Aerth gives a greeting to the other wizard. He was not knowledgeable in their regard only to know they are powerful and wise. He had never heard of this Gandalf as Varuthil had. "I am Aerth," he states, but drops into silence afterward. When the totem is exposed, Aerth frowns and takes a step away from it. He hopes the wizards can destroy it or take it from their care. He was uneasy around it and wanted it to be gone.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Gandalf blows a smoke ring, as if unconcerned with what Varuthil is going on about. The smell fills Borir's nose and he guesses either Longbottom Leaf or Southern Star, its certainly something from the south farthing of the Shire. "No how do you do, or may I join you for a pipe? Right to business, this must be Varuthil of the Woodland Realm?" Gandalf asks Radagast who nods back to his friend.

The Brown Wizard points at the rest of you, "These are the ones that took the message to the Easterly Inn for me. Yes that is Varuthil, and that is Wren, and Finn, and Borir and Aerth...." he lingers on the last one of you, "...you remember what I told you of Aerth?"

Gandalf glances at Radagast rather harshly, "Yes I remember Radagast! I'm no dottering old fool like you!"

Radagast shrugs, "I never can tell with you Gandalf."

Both wizard glare at one another and then break out into laughter which breaks all tension in the room.

Radagast motions, "Come in come in and sit down. Let's see this evil that you've decided to bring into my house." The Brown Wizard looks as Wren produces the shrunken head and lays it down on the table. No one wants to stand too close to it, nor does The Grey or The Brown, but they keep their seats none the less to inspect it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:12 pm

Varuthil looks down at Gandalf's words. "My apologies for my unseemly rudeness. I have seen too much of the work of the Shadow and want to stop it from doing more of its work." She looks over at the head, seemingly the only one drawn to it, and adds, "And that thing preys on my mind. If I knew what it was, perhaps it would have less of a hold on me."