Book 6: Act 2 - Men-I-Naurgrim

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sat May 06, 2017 1:19 am

Borir nods as his kin talk about removing trees and filling cracks in the road. "Great undertaking," he repeats as he smiles and shuffles ahead of the others walking proudly.

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Sat May 06, 2017 11:19 pm

Rathar's eyes dart here and there, looking for signs of trouble.
Roll Awareness

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon May 08, 2017 3:05 am

Finn is soon unimpressed with the road. He figured it would be in disrepair, but to have barely any sign of its presence made him feel that the undertaking of restoring it would be perhaps no different than building it from scratch. He had no interest in restoring the road, not yet. With the possibility of trade opening up with the Woodmen in Ceawin's village, and the Elf-path already close to Laketown, he did not feel the effort needed to restore the Dwarven road to be necessary.

He kept his thoughts to himself, and tried to learn by observing what he could of this part of Mirkwood. They were on no enchanted path that would protect them from dangers on either side. The only difference between this journey and going through the heart of the forest was a (slightly) smaller need to hack their way through the growth.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon May 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Varuthil walks quietly along, keeping her own counsel, listening to the sound of the wind in the trees in case they should carry any hint of warning of trouble ahead.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Men-I-Naurgrim: First Week

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 pm

This venture has proved to be a rather boring one. You travel along the broken and ancient road which tunnels through the forest for days on end. You expect trouble, and find none, you simply walk and walk and walk. For Varuthil the mindless travel is draining, sometimes she can draw strength of that, and from being in the forest of her people, but there is a deep darkness beyond her sight of the trees and it weighs on her mind and spirit. Belaran too is tired from the trip, he's not used to the never ending rows of trees, and wants for sunlight and the wind on his face, oh to have the wind on his face!

The rest of the company fairs well, its not to difficult, and a few days inside the forest you find the stone of the road remains -- in shockingly good repair. It all needs a good trimming, some weeding, and a bit of repair here and there, but the wide path is still fairly wide. Bofri is in great spirits seeing the quality of road this far in. For a week now you've traveled in the difficult darkness of the forest without issue, and you press on further.
Travel
Varuthil Rolled:
Feat Die: 4*
Success Die: 5
Totaling: 9 = Fail +2 Fatigue

Rathar
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 1,6t
Totaling: 17 with 1 success = Great Success

Finn
Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 1,5,6t
Totaling: 12 with 1 success
with 1 Auto Success = Great Auto Success

Borir (Hardy)
Rolled:
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 5,4,5
Totaling: 23 = Success

Belaran
Rolled:
Feat Die: 4*
Success Die: 2
Totaling: 6 = Fail +2 Fatigue
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon May 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Finn was very surprised at the condition of the road. The Dwarves had either built it very powerfully over one thousand years ago, or the help of magic had preserved the stones which should have been reclaimed by the forest long ago. Either way, he turned to Tom. "You did quite well in your preparation this time. The extra down you obtained for the roll beds, the double-layered travel bags to keep out the moisture, extra candles, extra flint... you have learned a lot Tom, and have done well. I am not in the least bit fatigued after all these rough miles."

Finn turns to the others, "going down this path should have been little different than trying to hack our way through the center of the forest. And yet, here are Dwarven-made bricks. I must say, I am genuinely amazed to find anything of the road left."

In his heart, he had not dared to hope that the road could be made of any use. If opened, the road would open up trade in the North like never before. Now, seeing the state of things, he wondered if Bofri's vision wasn't a foolhardy one after all.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Varuthil says, "Let's be cautious. It could be that this portion of the road remains in good repair because someone is using it--and that someone may not be friendly. In fact, let me see if the stones tell me anything." She kneels down and puts her hands on the stone blocks making up the road, singing gently to them, asking what manner of creatures have made their way along them recently. Then she pauses and tries to sense through her hand what story the stones might have to tell her.
The Speakers: Riddle

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed May 17, 2017 1:02 am

Borir is feeling quite fine during their travels. Following the dwarven road has made the dwarf happy. As Finn speaks, Borir pipes up, "The entire road would still be here, if it wasn't for people taking the bricks for their own purposes. If it's built by a dwarf, it'll last forever."

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Mon May 22, 2017 11:13 am

Rathar keeps his eyes sharp, gazing here and there with his ax in his hands. The boredom threatens his vigilance. Though he knows quiet is best, he bites at Borir's cast line.

"Forever? Forever is a long time."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue May 23, 2017 12:31 am

"Ah, yeah. Forever is how long it'll be once we restore these bricks and clear the growth to the sides." Borir says as he shuffles ahead.