Creation Chatter

This is a forum for out of character discussions for flelm's Dresden Files: The City That Never Sleeps game.
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Creation Chatter

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:13 pm

That's not a bad idea ...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:43 pm

It's basically what I did for ASOIAF. And I'd say I have recruited 10+ people that way.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Colette
Level 0
Level 0

Post by Colette » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:31 pm

I may as well reintroduce myself in this thread. I am new to this website, so this would be the first game I am applying for here.

I have a solid degree of experience with the Dresden Files RPG both as a player and as a GM, but I have only ever read the first two books. (I have been spoiled on everything up to and including Cold Days, so feel free to discuss concepts from the later books openly with me.) I run the setting from time to time, and I am currently in the planning stages for a wacky faux-Dresdenverse game set in a middle/high school for supernatural kids in the Nevernever.

With that out of the way, I would like to apply for this game.

I find myself overwhelmed by the mass of unsorted information in the city creation thread, so I would like to ask: would a half-fae sponsored magician of Summer or Winter be an appropriate character for this city?

I have three very basic concepts for a half-fae:

1. A compassionate half-Summer-fae who works in a clinic or a hospital and simply does his best to be a good person by alleviating everyone of their wounds and their illnesses. He is respected in the supernatural community for his completely pro bono healing services.

2. The same as concept #1, except that court politics have resulted in him being ceded to the Winter Court for an indefinite period of time. His Seelie magic is still provided by Titania, but Mab regulates its usage, and is fully intent on exploiting it for the sake of the Unseelie. This results in my character being torn between both worlds.

3. A half-Winter-fae born and raised by one of the less malicious and more pragmatic members of the Unseelie court. Rather than wield the court's magic to curse and wither, he uses divinations to foretell ill omens and signs of death and calamity, such that others might avoid them. Probably a literal black cat. One of the most genuinely nice and sweet members of the Winter Court around, even if he is only half-fae.

Which would be most appropriate for this game?

flelm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by flelm » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:07 am

Colette wrote:I have a solid degree of experience with the Dresden Files RPG both as a player and as a GM, but I have only ever read the first two books.
I have never run the game before, so you'll have to bear with most of my mistakes.
Colette wrote:I find myself overwhelmed by the mass of unsorted information in the city creation thread, so I would like to ask: would a half-fae sponsored magician of Summer or Winter be an appropriate character for this city?
The city creation thread is basically a stream of consciousness sort of thing rather than a final destination. The first post with the Themes/Threat is the only set thing right now, basically. The others are just ideas at this time that will be fleshed into locations. And there's plenty of room still in the city.

To answer your question, yes, that concept would probably be fine.
Colette wrote:I have three very basic concepts for a half-fae:<snip>
Honestly, they all look fine to me. I'd say pick the one you like best and go with it.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:28 am

I'll note that so far we're a fairly altruistic bunch. So keep that in mind when picking a character.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:54 pm

All those characters sound like a good fit. As Trog said, so far we're a fairly altruistic group, but all those characters sound like they would fit with that.

For what it's worth, I've never read any of the Dresden Files books--all my knowledge of the universe comes from the game books.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:59 pm

One other thing Collette: If you see a game already underway that you think you might like to join, PM the GM. GMs here are generally pretty open about incorporating new people into existing games.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:04 pm

Flelm, any thought on my question about the sword-related aspect?

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:06 am

I'm rapidly making my way through the books. I just finished Changes and am giving it a little time to sink in before I move on to Ghost Story.

Colette
Level 0
Level 0

Post by Colette » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:41 am

How would I go about applying with a character for this game?