The Snows of Summer: Prelude - Heldren

It has been a century since the immortal witch Baba Yaga last visited the world, and the hour draws nigh for her return. But when she fails to appear in the frozen realm of Irrisen to usher in its newest ruler, pockets of winter begin to grow throughout the Inner Sea region. After 1,400 years of perpetual winter, the icy curse of Irrisen is spreading! What links do these strange blizzards and swaths of wintry landscapes have with Irrisen, and is there any truth to the growing rumors that the Witch Queen Elvanna has taken full control of the realm? Can her plans for the Inner Sea be thwarted, or will the Reign of Winter engulf the world?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Witch King Eilandor

Moderator: Eilandor

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

The Snows of Summer: Prelude - Heldren

Post by Eilandor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:19 am

Image Like in most peasant communities in southern Taldor, the People of Heldren mostly keep to themselves. Far from the politics of Oppara and ever-watchful for Qadiran aggression, Heldren goes on as it always has, as a relatively small and unimportant hamlet of farmers, herders, and woodcutters.

Heldren's only tavern, the Silver Stoat, stands right on the town square across from the town hall. A fixture of village life, the tavern fills up with patrons in the evening as they gather to share gossip, hear news, and reward themselves for a hard day's work. Anything that's worth knowing in Heldren gets talked about here, and if asked where he got a particularly juicy bit of gossip or information, a villager will likely say, “I heard it from the Stoat.” Husband and wife Menander and Kale Garimos run the Silver Stoat as if it were their family kitchen—there's always a seat at the table or a space by the hearth for a guest, or a warm bowl of Menander's hearty stew for an empty belly. Menander works in the kitchen, cooking up his famous venison flank steak and numble pie. Kale tends bar, serving up the tavern's signature brew, Three Devil Ale, which she brews in-house using imported Chelish hops. Heldren doesn't get many visitors, so there is no true inn in the village, but travellers are welcome to a spot on the floor of the Stoat next to the fireplace for a night, as long as they're up early and on their way. Those who linger risk a rude awakening from Menander's wet mop in their faces.
Welcome to my first AP - Reign of Winter!

I have fleshed out Heldren with an update to the map legend of a previous post found here: Heldren

Here is the setup: Zym (Shurijo) on his way to Heldren found Eoghan (Vardaen) about two weeks ago just outside of town. Taken to Elder Natharen Safander at the Temple of Erastil, Eoghan has been under the care of Landa (Mackaber) a lifelong resident of Heldren. During his two weeks in Heldren, Zym has taken a job assisting in the brewing of Three Devil Ale. Menander has even cleared out a small area in the stock room for Zym to stay as opposed to the floor each night. Kolya (Trogdor) arrives just as we start.

Shurijo and Trogdor will kick this off. Trogdor enters the Silver Stoat a new arrival to Heldren around 7pm. Shurijo is well, working. This exchange will go for a bit then Landa will bring Eoghan (now recovered enough to mingle with the townsfolk) to the Silver Stoat. Landa has spent two weeks helping Eoghan but let's say for the sake of this prelude that he has revealed little of himself.
Kolya, Zym...
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Snows of Summer: Prelude - Heldren

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:58 am

With the summer sun casting long shadows throughout the village of Heldren, a stranger comes down the road from the west. Passing by the smithy and the barber, both shut down at this late hour in the day, he makes his way to the town center. As he passes by anyone he gives a nod and a "good evening," but keeps along his way with a purpose. When he reaches the town square, such as it is, he gives a long, appraising look at the Lady, beautifully lit by the setting sun, then turns around full circle, taking in a temple, a fine house, a public building by the look of it, a general store, and finally a tavern with the sign of a silver stoat over the door. Smiling at the last, he takes a few steps over and through the door into the cozy tavern. As he does so, a snowy white owl flutters down from above and perches on the eaves of the tavern.

As the newcomer enters the Silver Stoat, conversation briefly stops while the locals size him up. He's a lean man of slightly below average height. Young, by the look of him, certainly no older than his early twenties, and maybe not even that. His clothes are those of a Varisian, dark purple trousers tucked into black boots, a pale yellow shirt and a dark green vest. The man wears a large pack on his back with a bedroll hanging beneath it, and has a couple of pouches on his belt. But the only visible weapon he carries is a dagger next to one of his belt pouches. However, his most distinctive features are his pale skin, his ice-blue eyes, and his snow-white hair. Far from being an olive-skinned Varisian, as one might expect from his clothing, the newcomer looks much more exotic.

He pauses for a moment in the doorway to let his eyes get used to the dimmer light inside the tavern (and to let the locals take his measure). Then he walks over to the bar, takes off his pack, leans it against the bar, and addresses whoever is tending. "Good evening," he says. "My name is Kolya Frost. I'm a traveling healer and was wondering if there was any need for such in this village." He smiles at the bartender. "Regardless," he continues. "I'd be grateful for a mug of whatever it is that the others seem to be enjoying, as well as a bowl of that delightful stew I'm smelling. I can pay in coin if you prefer, but I'd also be happy to pay in kind, either in healing or with any other task you need done. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty or doing a little hard work."

Kolya looks around and confirms that this is merely a tavern and not an inn before adding, "I'd also like to see about getting somewhere I can stretch out by bedroll for the evening. I don't know if you accept overnight visitors or if there's a local barn that I could use. I'm sure anything you have will be better than another evening sleeping out in the open.
Although he has a colorful outfit by any normal standards, a true Varisian would consider it a bit subdued. Also, Kolya is definitely a Varisian name.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:19 pm

"Kolya Frost is it? Well the name is Kale and the man back there in the kitchen is my husband Menander." She looks him over, thinking he's cute albeit a bit different. "Healing...hmm, I can't say for sure but I think we've got that covered." Kale begins to draw the man a pint of Three Devil Ale while also calling back to the kitchen for an order of stew. "I suppose for now I'll be forced to separate you from your coin for this fare. In the morning you might check with Elder Natharen Safander or even young Landa Mala, they both reside at the Temple." Sliding a pint over to the man Kale begins to walk away, "Oh, I nearly forgot. You are more than welcome to a spot on the floor after closing. It's not much but it's not outside either. If you find your stay will be extended we could work on upgrading that."

"Stew's up!"

Kale grabs the fresh bowl of stew, "Ah, here we are...enjoy."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:37 pm

"Thank you," Kolya replies when he gets the Three Devil Ale. "It's been a long, dusty road today and this is just what I needed." He takes a long pull at the ale. Then he sees the stew. "This," he says, raising the pint, "and that," he gestures at the stew. Then he reaches into one of the pouches at his belt and takes out a few coins. "I'll speak to the elder and the young lady in the morning. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now what do I owe you for this fine meal?"

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:49 pm

"Let's see, four copper for the ale and one silver for the stew."

Kale looks around the room as if searching for someone, "Zym! I need to take inventory of the stockroom, tend the bar for a time would you..."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Kolya picks out the four copper and one sliver that Kale asks for, and places it down on the bar, returning the rest to his belt pouch. "Thank you kindly," he says, then takes a seat at the bar and begins to eat his dinner, relishing every bite.
I marked the money off my character sheet.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:25 pm

A few moments later, Zymurgysha Mavashti enters the main room from the back area reserved for brewing. He carries a large wet wooden paddle in his hand. Zym, as he's known to the locals, has a good knowledge of brewing and always has an ear for gossip. While he's been in town, he's served several patrons and enjoyed their stories and recipes and shared a few of his own.

The young man wears colorful and flowing clothes with a large red scarf, recognizable as a Varisian kapenia.The scarf wraps around his neck and then over his shoulder hanging over his back. His dusty skin compliments his golden eyes. His long dark red hair is neatly tied into a ponytail while his thin moustache curves at the tips. The man wears large golden (but not gold) bracelets around his wrists.

Sitting the mash paddle down on the bar, he nods to Kale. As she prepares to leave, he looks at the newcomer and asks, "Who's that?"

Zym picks up a towel and dries his hands off as he looks over the bar. One day, Zym has stated many times, he would like to have his own tavern, but first, he feels compelled to travel the world and learn all that he can.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:17 pm

Kale assumes but looks in the direction Zym is referring to anyway, "That is Kolya Frost, a newcomer to Heldren. I need to get this inventory done so anything else you need to know you can ask yourself."

Kale disappears into the back leaving Zym to run the front of the house.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 pm

Kolya looks up at the sound of his name and sees the fellow Varisian behind the bar. "<Varisian> Good traveling to you! It's good to see a fellow countryman this far from home." He wipes his mouth on his napkin and offers Zym his hand. "I'm Kolya," he says. "But then Kale just told you that."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:48 pm

Zym looks at the stranger and recognizes the clothing style. He doesn't immediately notice a kapenia. He begins walking to the section of the bar where the stranger sits, just as the man introduces himself.

The new barkeep then replies, "<Varisian>Good traveling to you! I am Zymurgysha Mavashti of Riddleport, but most just call me Zym."

He is quite curious about the man's origins, which is clearly not Varisian, but the man has the sense of style and accent of someone who's lived there for a long time. "<Varisian>Where in Varisia do you come from? Riddleport? Korvosa? Magnimar?"