The Snows of Summer: Prelude - Heldren

It has been a century since the immortal witch Baba Yaga last visited the world, and the hour draws nigh for her return. But when she fails to appear in the frozen realm of Irrisen to usher in its newest ruler, pockets of winter begin to grow throughout the Inner Sea region. After 1,400 years of perpetual winter, the icy curse of Irrisen is spreading! What links do these strange blizzards and swaths of wintry landscapes have with Irrisen, and is there any truth to the growing rumors that the Witch Queen Elvanna has taken full control of the realm? Can her plans for the Inner Sea be thwarted, or will the Reign of Winter engulf the world?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Witch King Eilandor

Moderator: Eilandor

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Snows of Summer: Prelude - Heldren

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:13 am

"That makes sense," Kolya replies, removing his pack again and taking a seat. "If it were in town, we could hardly fail to hear about it in the tavern." He smiles at the councilor. "Small town, what can I say?"

Then he focuses back on the matter at hand. "So tell me, what kind of strange events have been happening? Raids? Magical threats? Fey incursions? "Disturbing" covers a lot of ground."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 am

The councilor raises a brow, "What are you some kind of witch?" With a look of confusion, "I can't really say no to any of those things you speak of."

Taking another drink from her ale she once again looks around the tavern for prying eyes and more importantly ears.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:23 am

"Some kind," Kolya replies. "Sorcerer, witch, warlock, it's all just a name. I have a tie with the arcane that allows me to heal and make certain magical effects." He narrows his eyes at Ionnia's words. "So, mysterious as well as disturbing." He keeps his voice down, since the councilor clearly wants to keep this matter private.

Then, on a hunch, he asks, "would you like to move our discussion somewhere less public?"

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:37 am

"I, I meant no offense. I suppose someone as well traveled as yourself would be exposed to such things. Certainly not common encounters for our residents if you catch my meaning."

She looks up, Hail Desna for sending me three strangers in this time of need.

"You are right, here is not the place. The time grows late and my source is not currently available. I tell you what, make your way to the town hall around noon tomorrow. In the meantime fetch a good nights rest."

Finishing the last of her stew, "Oh, one more thing. Even for a small town not everything makes it's way back to me. Perhaps in the morning you could ask around town a bit for any information, of say strange happenings or occurrences."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:39 am

"Noon it is," Kolya agrees. "And I'll be happy to ask around for information. As a newcomer, it won't be strange me asking questions. And since I'm not sure what direction I'm heading in when I leave, it's perfectly reasonable for me to ask about what direction is safest and what direction is most dangerous. As for Zym, he's at the tavern. All information eventually passes through here."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 am

Eoghan has left with Landa and a few minutes later that dog wanders out of the tavern as well. Back at the temple the young man lays down and soon is sleeping. He only needs one more night of rest to be back to full strength, and so he's sure to get it in the peace of the temple. Come morning he'll need to buy some traveling gear for the trip home, a new axe, and some other things, then find that Witcher Kolya, if he can be trusted, at the least he needs to be watched, and keeping your enemies closer is not a tactic he is unaware of.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 am

"Excellent. Oh, if Eoghan is up to it he would also have many questions."

Finishing the last of her ale, "Thank you Zym and Kolya, a good night to both. Tell Kale I will get with her in the morning."

With that the councilor takes her leave. The hour is late and the Silver Stoat is near it's close.
Please post some nighttime dialogue (everyone) and then look for a "next day" post from me.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 am

"<Varisian> Well," Kolya says to Zym when the councilor has left. "That was an interesting first day in town. He runs his hand through his hair. "I hope we haven't gotten ourselves into anything over our heads. But then we're from Varisia; nothing is ever over our heads." He smiles. "I fear I'm not good for another ale. Do you have something lighter, like a cider? And does the kitchen have anything baked? I woundn't mind ending my fine meal with something a little sweet."
I figure having the conversation in Varisian means it's less likely to be overheard. We could move to Shoanti, but that might be going a bit too far ... ;-)

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:22 am

Landa accompanies Eoghan back to temple on their way back she tells him about how she learned that his hound likes deer.

"I have a friend. But you musn't tell anyone. A large white wolf. I call him Petyr. He killed a deer and brought it's body to the temple the night you were brought to us! As if he'd known! I believe Erastil guides him..."
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:44 am

"That is intersting, you are friends with a White Wolf? In the north those are fell creatures, agents of the Witches, and consumed by winter. You are blessed or cursed by Erastil if you are companion to one of these animals." He looks over at the hound, "He is not my hound."

The dog looks up and almost whines at the insult.

"I never saw him before the day of the explosion. He is his own master, but welcome company."

That makes the dog happier.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring