The Snows of Summer: Part I - An Early Frost

It has been a century since the immortal witch Baba Yaga last visited the world, and the hour draws nigh for her return. But when she fails to appear in the frozen realm of Irrisen to usher in its newest ruler, pockets of winter begin to grow throughout the Inner Sea region. After 1,400 years of perpetual winter, the icy curse of Irrisen is spreading! What links do these strange blizzards and swaths of wintry landscapes have with Irrisen, and is there any truth to the growing rumors that the Witch Queen Elvanna has taken full control of the realm? Can her plans for the Inner Sea be thwarted, or will the Reign of Winter engulf the world?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Witch King Eilandor

Moderator: Eilandor

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: The Snows of Summer: Part I - An Early Frost

Post by Eilandor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Lady Argentea is about to reply to Eoghan when she and likely everyone else is startled by his brash response to the Varisian who said nothing. She eyes both of them, studying their reactions and is once again intrigued how this band of strangers held together. She echoes the Ulfen's sentiment about seeking the source of this winter. In an attempt to put it in terms that all will understand, "It may not seem as though I have a coin to spare now, but I can assure you I can make it so. I would like to reward your group an amount of 500 gold pieces, for my safe return." After only a brief pause, "There could be more where that came from, if of course you are willing and able to venture out again."
Please take this time in town to go over the loot sheet and mark what you want to claim and/or sell.

You may also buy things of course. Heldren is a village with 500 gp base value and a 2,500 gp purchase limit (per item).
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Eoghan doesn't really need the reply of the others, "I don't need a reward to do these things, but I won't turn it away either. As my mother always said 'don't look a gifted yak in the mouth'." He motions at the group, "We thank you for that kind offer, and for my part once I'm resupplied I'm heading back out there. This witch is going to pay for her crimes." He yawns against his will, "But I'm tired, I need something good to eat, and some ale in my belly, and we still have much in the way of supplies to barter back and forth about."

He will linger a while longer to workout any details with the Lady and the Councilwoman, using his charms to make sure he get's a good deal, but then he retires to the group's stores to sort them out, take what he likes, and plans to have the rest sold or traded for more winter supplies.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:55 am

The meeting adjourns with the understanding the group will take a short time to recover and then set out to discover the source of this unseasonable winter. As evening approaches, everyone finds themselves drinking and eating at the Silver Stoat. Vrixx, hovering in his cage, takes his usual spot leaning against the fireplace. Periodically he can be heard over the crowd, verbally prodding the Ulfen. Several hours pass and just when you are wondering where Landa is, she enters and makes her way over to you.

"Good news! I met with Isker, the smithy and he says if you can give him a day or two, he will have fashioned three pairs of snow shoes..."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:26 pm

"Three?" Kolya replies. "Will you not be joining us?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Eoghan is in the middle of shouting at Vrixx, "I can't recall if you imps need to eat or drink! Ah well, eventually."

Then with a smile he invites Landa to join him and the rest at the table. "That is good! We would do well to have some." He wonders at the 3 and not 4 but for the moment says nothing. "We need to speak to our wounded guard as well and find out how he's doing and if we can continue to use his cold iron sword." He guzzles some ale down, "We should sort of the loot we've gathered too. I've taken a few things, but there is still more we should deal with before setting out."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Landa sits and orders some food with the others. "Well Eoghan, while you wait for your shoes, don't forget to visit Tessaraea over at the Willowbark Apothecary. She may have some useful items, and perhaps will even buy some items from our haul." She slowly turns toward Kolya when he inquires about the fact only three pairs of snowshoes will be made, "No, no I will not. I don't know if I desire the taste of adventure, certainly not as much as this food, it is good right? I am going to stay behind and continue my studies with Natharen at the Erastil Temple." She takes another bite of her food, seeming to enjoy it far more than her short adventure to the lodge.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Eoghan nods about Willowbark Apothecary, "I will go there in the morning then, thank you Landa." Listening on he hears that the young girl will not be heading back out, "Well, probably for the best, we need someone to remain here and keep an eye on things for us." He also was worried that such a young girl was out in the dangerous wild, it was no place for little girl.

Once the meal is over, and the group sorts out more of the loot, he retires for the night. In the morning he heads to Willowbark Apothecary to see about selling some of their things and what they offer to sell. He also wants to check on Yuln who was last staying in the back room here, and speak to him about using his blade a bit longer.
Okay. I say claim the last things on the loot sheet, and then sell, so we can buy! Its only Trog, Shurijo and I it should go fast

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Kolya nods at Landa's news. "As Eoghan says, it will be good to have someone we trust in town. And thank you for the advice about where to go. Snow shoes and alchemicals sound like a good idea."

A short while later, he too turns in, ready to rise in the morning and deal with buying and selling.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

The End

Post by Eilandor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:54 pm

The group disbands for a time in order to make preparations for their return trip to the lodge and beyond. Each in no particular order visits the Willowbark Apothecary and Isker at his smith shop. Kolya spends some of his downtime communing with his owl Boreas in order to teach it some of the spells found in Rohkar's book. Eòghan checks in on Yuln, the wounded mercenary guard and finds he is in much better shape than that of when you first met. Yuln also takes this opportunity to thank the Ulfen by gifting him his cold iron longsword.

Kolya, Landa and Eòghan convene in the Silver Stoat for a hot meal and some spirits, only to find Zym is tending bar. An inquiry over dinner reveals that Zym too has had a change of heart and will not be joining them on their return. Vrixx snickers from his cage, "This will no doubt be a short lived quest against the forces of evil..." The Ulfen once again places him in close proximity to the churning fireplace and returns to the table. A few last ditch efforts to convince both Zym and Landa to join them end with the same result. Fast approaching midnight, everyone turns in for some sleep and for two of them, look to head out first thing in the morning.
This ends the first chapter! I will kick off part two when the new site is up and running.