The Snows of Summer: Part I - An Early Frost

It has been a century since the immortal witch Baba Yaga last visited the world, and the hour draws nigh for her return. But when she fails to appear in the frozen realm of Irrisen to usher in its newest ruler, pockets of winter begin to grow throughout the Inner Sea region. After 1,400 years of perpetual winter, the icy curse of Irrisen is spreading! What links do these strange blizzards and swaths of wintry landscapes have with Irrisen, and is there any truth to the growing rumors that the Witch Queen Elvanna has taken full control of the realm? Can her plans for the Inner Sea be thwarted, or will the Reign of Winter engulf the world?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Witch King Eilandor

Moderator: Eilandor

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Snows of Summer: Part I - An Early Frost

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:19 am

Kolya shakes his head. "I'm afraid the name doesn't mean anything. But the ice mephit could easily be a servant of one of the snow witches."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Argentea thanks Landa when she returns with some cold weather attire. Looking at the Ulfen, "You could push on from here, and well I suppose I could, with enough supplies make my way back to Heldren." As she inspects some of the clothing, "Why would anyone abduct a Taldan noble, or any noble for that matter? Money? Political leverage? Leverage of another sort..." She shakes her head, "For whatever reason, I need to fall back and regroup."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Eoghan wants to press forward, but he also knows sending the woman back alone is a death sentence for her. "Landa and Petry will stay here with you in the cabin for a bit. Its too late in the day for us to risk the woods. We can set out first thing in the morning. Until then the rest of us will search the grounds around here, I want to check the bridge and get a good lay of the land before we head out." He struggles with his rage and his reason, "We can all then return to Heldren, make sure you are safe, and then once more seek out the Witch who's done all this."
My thinking is, we leave the PC-NPC (Landa) with the NPC (Argentea), scout around the cabin, look for the Imp, check up the bridge/trail a bit. See if we can find anything else today within reach of the cabin. Spend the night in the cabin, make sure we are well supplied, then make a run for Heldrin. Restock, Plot, Level Up, etc.. then come back
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:29 am

Zym listens to the lady's words and then nods in agreement with Eoghan's assessment and request to search the grounds.
know local check?
Teb Knotten

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 pm

"That seems a wise course of action," Kolya agrees. "It wouldn't be safe for you to head back alone. And it would be a poor rescue if we were to save you from one danger only to send you into another."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:34 pm

"Landa, you can Petry stay here with the Lady. The rest of you, let's check the out buildings and range out a bit just to see sure this Iooze or whatever its name is, isn't skulking about."

Once the others are ready he moves to the back door and heads out on to the back porch and searching the outside areas, including the other buildings up to the bridge and in the edges of the woods.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:34 am

Landa secures the door behind the others, leaving only herself, Petyr and Argentea in the lodge. "Don't worry, they are more than capable." Looking out the small window in the door periodically should things go awry, Landa otherwise tries to maintain some small talk, "What is up with the weather in these parts..."

Meanwhile outside

Eoghan leads the others as they quickly circumvent the perimeter of the lodge. Just to the north of the back porch, the group finds a door to what appears to be a small shed. Unlocked, Eoghan opens the door which reveals some shovels and picks, but nothing else of note. As they continue, the three toss around the name Teb Knotten. Zym, having been in Heldren for a bit, shrugs his shoulders. They make their way around and peer into the stables to check on the horses they discovered earlier. All is well so the three continue on towards the rope bridge. Covered in ice and snow, it sways aggressively in the winds that race through the gorge. Looking down, about fifty feet, you find the turbulent waters of a fast moving creek coupled with several waterfalls. Refocusing your attention to the ground near the bridge entrance you find strange tracks in the snow.
For events encountered at the High Sentinel Lodge, each PC is awarded 775 XP!

By the time you get back to Heldren it will be time to level up...
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:21 pm

Zym looks at the tracks and the bridge and then says, "This is Timber Creek. It flows through Red Run Gorge. The High Ridge should be near here. It's, well, a high ridge that gives a fantastic view of the border wood."

The man then focuses back on the tracks asking, "Has anyone seen tracks like this before?"
Know nature check?

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:10 pm

"I've never seen them before," Kolya replies. "But the fortuneteller in our caravan described tracks like these to me. I think it's a mephit that made these tracks - a creature of the planes. This one looks like it was an ice mephit. A snow witch might well have an ice mephit as a familiar."
Now I'm envisioning the ice mephit as looking and sounding like Olaf from Frozen. ;-)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:57 pm

Eoghan kneels and puts his hand inside one of the tracks, and tilts his head so his one good eye is looking at them. "It seems reasonable it could by this mephit...". Looking over to Zym he wonders out loud, "How far is High Ridge, perhaps we could risk a trip there today to see what we can see and try and get a view of the wood."
Knowledge: Geo - The distances, etc
Knowledge: Nature - Tracks, travel times, etc
Knowledge: Local - The landmarks Zym mentioned
Survival - Can we make it there and back, etc..