The Snows of Summer Part II: The Depths of Winter

It has been a century since the immortal witch Baba Yaga last visited the world, and the hour draws nigh for her return. But when she fails to appear in the frozen realm of Irrisen to usher in its newest ruler, pockets of winter begin to grow throughout the Inner Sea region. After 1,400 years of perpetual winter, the icy curse of Irrisen is spreading! What links do these strange blizzards and swaths of wintry landscapes have with Irrisen, and is there any truth to the growing rumors that the Witch Queen Elvanna has taken full control of the realm? Can her plans for the Inner Sea be thwarted, or will the Reign of Winter engulf the world?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Witch King Eilandor

Moderator: Eilandor

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Snows of Summer Part II: The Depths of Winter

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:32 pm

The guide Eòghan leads the way, he does his best to keep the group in the cover of the trees, out of the wind, and avoids the deep drifts. At times he checks on the group, offering up hints to keep their hands warm, and makes sure heads are covered. A stop here or a pause there is all he allows because he doesn't want the sweat from the trip to freeze on anyone. Impressed with the new groups resilience to the cold his impression of this 'side show' is growing.

On arriving at the old hunting cabin he let's Grip loose, "Go boy, is anyone home?" He waits for Grip to run around the yard and sniff things out. If the hound doesn't start barking he moves to the building, and heads inside checking on the place. "We break here for lunch and a fire, and then we head out for the ridge and our true goal." He get's a fire going in the fire place, and collects any extra blankets and such for Kassius and Nyria.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:32 pm

When Eóghan brings blankets, Kassius thanks him. "May the Dawnflower bless you, friend. I'm sure Nyria and me would never be able to get here without your help."
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Eòghan props Vrixx's cage up on the mantle above the fire place, "Alright Vrixx, once we set back out from here you are up. You want your freedom? You want to get away from me? Then you need to pull through here and guide us safely on the next leg of our journey. You know where we want to go, who we want to see, and what we want to do. Get us there, and I will let these other people talk me into setting you loose one more into the wild, on a few conditions that is of course."

The Ulfen nods to Kassius, "You might look like a Witch's concubine, but that's no reason to let you freeze to death. Besides, I don't have the time to bury your frozen corpse." He chuckles as he goes to get something to drink from his pack.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Once at the hunting cabin Kolya goes about getting a warm lunch for everyone. Having a proper kitchen, he's able to make it a bit more elaborate, though he's limited by the food in their packs and stored in the cabin. He keeps up a light conversation with Kassius and Nyria about matters unrelated to their current quest.
Take 10 on a Profession: Cooking check (=17)

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Nyria sits with Kolya to keep him company while he cooks. "So what exactly is this place?" She says curiously.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:09 pm

Eòghan walks into the kitchen with fresh water from the well and catches Nyia's comment, "Hunting cabin for the nobles of area. A sporting lodge of some sort. It was just a target of opportunity for some bandits and henchmen of the Witch. We cleared it out a few days past. Some of them were sick, stay clear of the southen chamber. We left the windows open to clear it out, but you dont' want to risk it still." He puts the pale of water down, "Kolya, take it easy with the magic spices on my share, you know my feelings on the matter. I'm going to go up to the second floor and see what I can see from that height." Then he heads back into the living room, puts another log on the fire and then explores upstairs and gazes out all of the windows spending a few minutes at each looking far into the snow covered forest to get a good lay of the land.

Grip snores curled up on the rug before the fireplace.

niconorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by niconorsk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:19 pm

Sverin joins Kolya and Nyria around the food and warmth. He starts humming absent-mindedly to himself while listening to the conversation around him.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:44 am

From the stairs Eoghan calls down. "Sverin. Join me."

When the other man comes up he will find Eoghan looking north gazing out the open windows in the cold of the room. His magical cloak is drapped on a bed and he stands there drinking in the chill.

niconorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by niconorsk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:29 am

Sverin stands up and wraps his cloak around him before joining Eoghan on the second floor.

Looking out the window, he ponders: "Snow is a such a beautiful sight, but I can't help but fell disconcerted by the unnaturalness of it all."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:08 pm

Eòghan looks at Sverin, "It is unnatural here, not like at home. Tell me, Sverin what are you really doing here? The last man I met from the northlands was here to kill me. Are you an assassin sent to do the same? If so I would rather we had it out now than dance around it." He leaves the window shutters open, the cold blowing through the chamber, his normal gear keeps out most of it, enough so he' isn't in danger yet of frostbite, but he knows Sverin was suffering a bit, and it might be enough to keep him on edge.