Ichi - Heaven's Tears

The year is 1560, or Rokugatsu Sanjū-Nichi, 3rd Year of the Reign of Emperor Ogimachi. Japan is firmly in the middle of an Empire wide civil war, now known as Sengoku. Clans vie for power, and through political intrigue, deceit, and war some are establishing themselves as dominate forces throughout the land. But civil war is only one of the island nation's concerns, as the mongol invasions of years passed and the ancient evils from beyond the island of Hokkaido always threaten the noble people of the Land of the Rising Sun.Run by Emperor TetNak
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Ichi - Heaven's Tears

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 pm

"Good to meet you, Goto-san," says Kayoko, this time sounding quite sincere. "I am Sister Kayoko. I am a simple nun. Well, I've recently become a nun and moved here to Hokkaido from the south, to get away from my family." You may note that she has not given you her family name. "I'm glad to hear you'll be a good guide--I'm eager to learn more about our new home. I've read a fair amount about Hokkaido, but that's not the same as seeing it. I know the secrets of divination and I'm also skilled in healing and the tea ceremony, so I can take care of any wounds of the body and spirit, if we happen to run into any trouble. But let us pray that we don't. I've no real desire to test my skill."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 pm

"I've never traveled with a nun, or really talked to one before. I thought you would look different, not so..." he blushes and shuts his mouth and quickly changes the subject, "Its dangerous, even the road we plan to take, but not as bad as some. We have some road much of the way, and well traveled trails. That will both speed our travel and make our passing obvious to anyone wanting to do harm to us." He shrugs and then his food arrives and he thanks the serving girl and starts eating.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:12 am

Kayoko is slightly puzzled by Goto's comment. He seems to think she's attractive--but she's a woman of forty, her age already showing on her face. She shrugs. "Monks and nuns are just people like anyone else. True, we try to live holy lives--well, most of us do--but we have faults like anyone else. I certainly have plenty of faults." She grins at this, as if amused.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:14 am

The Monk joins them at this point, giving a sharp laugh at her comment. "Oh yes, many faults indeed, Nun-san. Any holy man claiming to be perfect is selling imperfection." He sits down, claiming a cup of tea. "It seems we are introducing ourselves? I am known as Kusa, a monk of Fujin. I have lived in this province my whole life, dedicating myself to the Fortunes. I can lecture on theology, and remove the liver of a man with my bare hands." He twiddles his large fingers, then goes back to the tea. You notice that his left hand is grotesquely disfigured, likely a defect of birth or an accident. Either way, it looks almost useless. "I have also been blessed by the spirits with certain powers that may or may not be useful on our journey."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Goto's eyes flicker from Kayoko's chest to Kusa's hand, he has almost no self control and even less social graces and etiquette but he tries, and he friendly and nice, so that helps the man less than a year since his Gempukku not get slapped around much. "Right right. I've heard some monks have gained Enlightenment and can draw on the elements because of it. Never seen it myself, that will be something to see. Maybe you could give us a demonstration on the road Kusa-sama?" He slurps down some food when it arrives, and then drinks down his sake when that comes as well.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:01 am

"You're looking for flashy shows of power?" asks Kayoko. "I have mastered some of the deeper arts of the mind, but they don't mean you're enlightened--and they're not for casually showing off, but to deal with serious problems." She's clearly pretty critical of Goto's attitude.
MWD, I'm pretty sure that the concept of the Fortunes is something specific to Rokugan. In historical Japanese Shintoism, the gods are simply called "kami" the same as the lesser spirits--they are seen as existing on a continuum, rather than there being some break between lesser and greater spirits.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:10 am

"I am no stage magician to show tricks, my new friend. The kami have blessed me with certain gifts for their own reasons, not for fame or pride. Do not worry, your curiosity will be sated soon enough. I fear that this trip will bring dangers that will take all of our strengths to overcome. Hokkaido is not a tame place like the southern provinces." The monk seems rather unflappable, not taking offense at the failure to observe social niceties, or odd requests.
Thanks Muskrat! I've so used to playing L5R that I fall back on the terminology and theology really easily.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:54 am

Tohu leans back and belches loudly. He gives off a laugh at himself just as more food is brought. There are a mix of vegetarian dishes, as well as meats. Most are venison based.

Tohu frowns, "Deer, deer, and more deer." He grunts, then takes a bite anyway.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49 am

Kayoko takes up her chopsticks and begins inelegantly stuffing her face with the vegetarian fair, apparently little concerned about propriety.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 pm

"Flashy shows of power? Not what I had in mind, but if you aren't for demonstrating your abilities then that's fine with me." He eats and drinks, and elbows Toho in the side when the man burps, "Remember that one samurai, came up last year from the mainland, gave a kata demonstration. That was an impressive show of chi and focus. That was enlightening." He doesn't really care if the nun doesn't want to share her talents with the group, perhaps he won't share his with her.