Bugaisha: Assignments (Prelude)

The Unicorn guard one of only two ways to the Colonies, anchored at one end by the Western Steppes and at the other, Journey's End Keep.

Samurai assigned to the keep must first survive the trip, and then contend with the local wildlife and terrain, as well as politics from back home.
Run by the Daimyo Phlale
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Bugaisha: Assignments

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:41 am

"The hour is not a problem, Ide-san," says Hiroake. Before making a gesture of greeting her watches Yutaka's reaction to the proffered handshake, trying to discern if he would be more comfortable with a Rokugani bow or a Unicorn handshake, then doing what he would be most comfortable with.
I'm still new to Rokugan, so forgive any slip-ups I make with etiquette.

Is this guy a -san (equal) or -sama (superior)? I can't really tell from what we've been told so far.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:43 am

Utaku Naseru had no intention of leaving his wife's side if he could help it. They have been married a full year by now, but his wonder at this maiden does not seem to be waning. He is polite as well when they meet with the merchant, bowing as appropriate. The bushi looks around, trying to take note of this office, and find something to compliment. "The flowers are very nice, Ide-san. They are not known to me, perhaps a local variety? Or brought by the gaijin traders?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:13 am

The troubled Ryuu is the last to arrive. He's wearing nothing of pomp, if he even owns such decorations. He does not even have any weapons on him, or seemingly does not. He does continue to wear the slightly-strange, yellow headdress. When he enters, the man says nothing, simply looking over to his sister and Naseru before bringing his eyes back to the Ide merchant.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:44 pm

The merchant patron gestures to the space in front of the table, "Please, take your seats." When the compliment about the flowers comes he nods, "They are local, they are grown by a samurai who is stationed at one of the watch towers, he is very skilled with them, though the petals are apparently quite toxic."

He shakes hands and bows with each guest, is polite and apologizes again for the late hour. When everyone is seated he explains. "Last night a rider returned ahead of the scheduled caravan, they will arrive tomorrow, it seems. This rider brought missives from our contacts in the Colonies, including a request for more samurai." He hands each of the samurai a letter. "These are your new orders, to accompany my next caravan to Journey's End and then serve one year at the pleasure of the governor of that holding." He pauses, clearly waiting for questions.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:00 pm

Many of the Unicorn have taken to the gaijin custom of shaking hands, but Moto Yoshihiro does not. He bows politely and takes his seat with the others. He's seen them about, but doesn't know much about any of them. Taking his scroll he opens it with skilled hands and unrolls it reading it twice before tucking it away into his obi. "I shall have to pack."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Saying nothing after the introduction is made, Yukiko takes a seat and listens to the Ide. She carefully reads the letter, already excited after the merchant patron told them about the rider and his request. For a moment she wonders if her lord would just see her sent on an assignment to the Colonies. While she's certainly not active in any army she's still a shiotome. However, seeing the Colonies does sound like a great destination and the journey to it as well, expecting that the letter will bring enlightenment on the assignment to the Unicorn governer in the former Ivory Kingdoms. She glances at the Iuchi and Death Priest who she does not know yet.
"We're going to the Colonies," the battle maiden states with a look to her husband.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:45 pm

"Really?" Ryuu comments while reading his letter. "I just got back from there." He laughs to himself, "So much for enjoying some leisure time at the sake house." It isn't clear if that's a joke or serious. The samurai just shrugs, slumped in his seat apathetically.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:09 pm

Hiroake unrolls and reads the scroll with delight plainly evident on his face. He has always wanted to see the former Ivory Kingdoms, explore their ruins, and make contact with the few surviving people of that land. Now he will have a chance to do so. He says to Yukata, "This is a great honor. I have studied the Ivory Kingdoms a great deal, but now to be able to serve there and use my knowledge for the benefit of the Unicorn and the Empire--I will endeavor my best to be of service."

He looks over at Ryuu when the man says he has only recently returned from the Colonies. Hiroake would like to question him, but the man does not seem like he would much appreciate it--and if they are to travel together, other opportunities, perhaps when Ryuu is in a better mood, may present themselves.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:16 am

The Vindicator's eyes gleam at the news of traveling to the Colonies. Whatever remnants of Kali-Ma's forces that remain must certainly be there. It has been a full decade since he last slew one of those monstrosities. He had almost lose hope, but the Fortunes smile upon the faithful. Still, he double-checks the scroll for authenticity. He would not call one of his own Clan a liar to his face, but being called a deserter because of a trick is also unpalatable. He returns his wife's comment with a wink. "The Colonies indeed. Glory and honour await."
Checking to make sure the Scroll looks legit. :) Good to be careful.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Investigation/Perception
Rolled: 4K2: 9, 7, 6, 4 = 16
TN ??
As the former Moto checks the documents he notes that the chops and orders all seem to be legitimate. There is nothing outside the usual in the document, excepting the destination. There is also very little information about Journey's End Keep or their duties there.

"Your knowledge and experience is an important reason for your assignment there," Yutaka says, looking at Ryuu. Unlike many Rokugani there is no obvious judgement in the man's tone.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo