The Wastes: Travel (The First Scroll)

The Unicorn guard one of only two ways to the Colonies, anchored at one end by the Western Steppes and at the other, Journey's End Keep.

Samurai assigned to the keep must first survive the trip, and then contend with the local wildlife and terrain, as well as politics from back home.
Run by the Daimyo Phlale
Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

The Wastes: Travel (The First Scroll)

Post by Phlale » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:30 pm

The dim predawn light illuminates the preparing caravan. Pack animals call softly, and wagons are secured. A group of scouts is already gone, checking for ambushes and damage to the trail. A frigid wind blows off the Wastes, sucking the moisture from everything it touches and cutting through even the furs of the Unicorn. The few poor souls of other clans who travel with you huddle around a brazier, trying to keep from shivering.

Ide Yutaka stands in the middle of the caravan, giving directions and generally organizing the samurai and drivers. He nods greetings to those he notices, though seems to busy to converse. Two other samurai stand apart, each on a sturdy pony. A tall figure in black and silver, a woman of impressive beauty and carrying a bow occasionally glances at her companion, a Mirumoto with shaved head and green eyes who seems to ignore all.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: The Wastes: Travel (The First Scroll)

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Utaku Yukiko is a bit restless while the caravan is preparing. For some time she has circled around the whole thing a couple of times, obviously eager to leave as soon as possible to take a trip she hasn't taken before to a place she only knows from reports. Unlike some of the other clans she came prepared though with a good, furred traveling cloak over her armor. All of her belongings are now stored in leather saddle bags after she has finished all her business in the keep, wrote letters home and got everything in order for the trip.

As she rounds the caravan again, she does not even holds the reins of her Utaku steed as the horse just knows where she wants to go. The battle maiden keeps her off-hand on the Moto Scimitar and holds a fur-lined kabuto in the crook of her other arm. Restless, she wonders about some of her fellow samurai who joined the caravan. The Dragon she can make out easily but his companion, the one in black and silver, she's not sure about as black and silver are not colors she can immediately put on any clan though maybe the silver stands in for white. She directs Arashi on a new course and decides to confront the two.

"That is a nice bow," Yukiko says towards the tall beauty. The Unicorn samurai-ko has a faint interest in kyujutsu herself and carries the large dai-kyu that was made for her. "I am Utaku Yukiko," she states, not one of a lot of words or long introductions.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Alone near the back of the caravan is Moto Yoshihiro. He is dressed in warm furs from head to toe with none of the taboos of the other clans about touching dead flesh bothering him. The priest's own horse is packed with his personal belongings for the trip and extra supplies of food and for camping.

He watches through the gathering the Battle Maiden circle the caravan a few times, and then his eyes drift to the pair of others. Spider. That's his first thought at the sight of the black and silver clad samurai, but the Dragon too also is of interest to him. The Dragon ever the theologians and devout. Perhaps they will make for interesting converts along the road.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:31 am

Without a word, Ryuu is seated upon his Utaku riding horse with a bored expression. He looks over the caravan without a single word or notable glance. Ryuu's layered riding armor sits heavy upon his shoulders, and his back seems to slump forward, though he does not appear uncomfortable. From time to time he will idly pet the mane of his horse, called Demon, or rub his own beard as he waits for the caravan to get underway.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Despite being a courtier trained to engage in diplomacy and steeped in the ways of mainstream Rokugani culture, Hiroake is also a Unicorn. Though it is not part of his normal dress, on this occasion he has no qualms about wearing fur clothing, especially given that this is a Unicorn caravan and members of other clans present are likely to show them some deference. He is curious about the Dragon and the woman in black and silver and joins Yukiko as she speaks to him, waiting for their reply before adding any words of his own.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:22 am

Utaku Naseru leads his horse by the reins, walking calmly to the middle of the caravan where the others are gathering. He is wearing heavy battle armor, cumbersome and tiring to wear, but worthy as any Crab of dealing with everything from bandits to nightmares. A dull purple and white lacquer coats certain areas, but otherwise it is unadorned and plain - a valued tool, not a work of art. He bows politely to the two new samurai, and stops next to his wife. His large hand gently touches Yukiko's knee, and he smiles brightly up at her. "My apologies for my tardiness. Could you introduce me to our new companions, my wife?"
I know they haven't introduced themselves yet, but he got here last, so it would have been a logical assumption that introductions had already occurred.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:05 pm

The samurai-ko bows awkwardly in her seat, "We have just met, I am Daigotsu Ran, and my companion is Mirumoto Tadao," the words slip from her tongue like silk over steel.

The Dragon also bows, with slightly more skill, though he remains silent for the moment.

"My companion tells me that in Dragon lands, it becomes even colder than this, but I cannot believe him. Should we expect this for the whole of the journey?" The Spider continues to talk, and as she gestures a flash of green dances on her wrist.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:23 pm

"Indeed we did," Yukiko replies looking from the Spider to her husband, glad to have guessed the samurai-ko's clan affiliation correclty. "Daigotsu-san, Mirumoto-san, this is my husband Utaku Naseru," the battle maiden adds and removes her hand from her sword's hilt and puts it on Naseru's hand. She's far more used and comfortable with intimate contacts and gestures of affection than a typical Rokugani samurai. "I do not know about the winters in the Dragon lands as I have not been sent to a winter court to them though I would gladly attend one if I were allowed. Naseru is older and more seasoned so he may be able to tell about other lands' climates. As for the journey in front of us I assume it may be colder. It tends to be so in open spaces and not close to a keep or any settlement. Are you worried about the cold?"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:34 pm

The Moto isn't sure what to think of this Spider Clan, they have their sanction from the Empress, and they have proven some of their worth, but they still are born from Shadowlands and Blood Speakers. Yet he reserves his judgement on this particular one for now. "When we reach the Wastes, and the Burning Sands and the Ivory Jungle you will beg for the cold of these lands. The heat is terrible, humidity that begs for the rain to come, and the swarm of biting insects so great that your armor will not avail you." He trotts past them part way looking toward the lead, "So I have been told."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 pm

"He's correct," Ryuu says when the Moto speaks of the Burning Sands and Ivory Kingdoms. "The Ivory Kingdoms are jungle. I will, for one, be losing some of my garments when we get closer. I have seen men die of heat, of insect bites, and all sorts of nastiness." He shakes his head with a grimace, "Good thing the people there are timid, at least most are. They shouldn't give us much trouble. Those that are fighters, well, expect fierceness behind their blades. They have those that use what they call 'sorcery' as well. Like a shugenja calls to the kami, they do something similar, at least in effect."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name