The Wastes: Travel (The First Scroll)

The Unicorn guard one of only two ways to the Colonies, anchored at one end by the Western Steppes and at the other, Journey's End Keep.

Samurai assigned to the keep must first survive the trip, and then contend with the local wildlife and terrain, as well as politics from back home.
Run by the Daimyo Phlale
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: The Wastes: Travel (The First Scroll)

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Ryuu does not join in the conversation in regards to the corruption of the Spider. He simply keeps riding, and mostly petting the mane of his horse as he does so. Demon had been with him during his times within the Burning Sands and the Colonies, and so it seemed fitting they were going back together. "So much for our rest," he says at one point, speaking to no one in particular.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Several days pass, warming slowly as the caravan moves south. Each night, any heat flees, and the desert air burns with its dry cold. At each stopping point there is a well or spring, and a small store of charcoal. Fires burn low and food is cooked, dry meat for the Unicorn, fish for those who prefer it, and rice. Travelling food of the basest sort.

As many samurai begin to settle in for the night the sky darkens swiftly. Armour is laid aside and weapons cleaned, tents and yurts are pitched and the animals tied up too keep them from the desert dogs that call just beyond the light of the sentry fires.
Hunting/Perception
Yoshihiro 2k2: 10, 8= 18 (dice do not explode)
Ryuu 4k3: 9, 7, 4, 3 = 20
Hiroake 2k2: 2, 1 = 3 (dice do not explode)
Naseru 3k2: 8, 6, 2 = 14
Yukiko 3k3: 9, 8, 5 =22 (dice do not explode)
There is something strange about the desert dogs you heard, like they called too evenly spaced...
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Ryuu is running a whetstone over his scimitar when he perks up at the sound of the dogs. He looks around for a few moments then stands up and begins putting his armor on immediately. "Yodatai," he says, "A raiding party, if I had to guess." He waves his sword about, "Get ready to defend the caravan!"

The man, once done donning his armor, mounts his horse and rides the mare a bit a head over the caravan, or in a direction toward the dogs. "They will be well trained and far more disciplined than our defense. They will loose their hounds on us, causing our animals to spook. Tie them down!"
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Over the past days Yukiko the daily routines begin to bore the battle maiden a bit with nothing else but travel and camp. Though at least the caravan makes steady progress towards their destination. During the day she either stays at the head of the procession of travelers though she's certainly not a trained scout so there's no reason for her to be away from the rest. When the caravan settles down she strides through the camps and past the fires to see and find anyone she doesn't know yet to at least know everyone by sight before spending the darkest hours in the waste at the side of her husband when not on guard duty which is the only time when she's outside of armor.

When the caravan has settled for the night and the people of the convoy, the samurai-ko has helped herself to a skewer of roasted red meat after making sure her Utaku steed is properly fed and watered as the mount is as important to cavalry as proper maintenance of weapon and armor. And since Arashi comes from a particular breed he needs even more water and food than other horses due to his faster metabolism. When the bark of dog is heard it isn't really a concern to her. At least until there's something odd about it. A quick whistle leaves her lips and she looks to Naseru. "These dogs sound too regular," she says to point out the strangeness of it. "Almost evenly spaced."

With quick steps she makes her way towards the closest sentry fire to alert them of the dogs and see if they noticed it too. "You ought to alert the camp," the shioteme tells them in a stern voice if they don't already know or noticed it. She does not linger long though and does not elaborate a lot. At the same time her horse catches up with the Unicorn, the muzzle still dripping with water. Within a few moments she's back in the saddle and turns the steed around to find the other Unicorn, her big brother among them, whom she met at the meeting with the caravan master. Especially the Ide is on her mind if only because her parents are Ide as well and her father a diplomat himself.

"We might be facing an enemy soon," the armored and armed Utaku battle maiden tells them when she found the rest. "Those barks you heard seem strange to me." She waits for a moment to see if her companions have anything to say before beginning to head out, ready to fight.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:55 am

Utaku Naseru had been enjoying an amused reflection on his wife's suggestion that he look after their souls, while she takes care of their physical well-being. What is he, a priest? He's just a simple bushi, not a scholar. He got ready to make a follow-up jest, then was silenced by Yukiko's admonition. He hadn't been paying attention to the braying of the desert dogs, and had missed the clue.

The Vindicator stands up runs to his armor. He orders a peasant to make him ready, and to bring his horse. If the enemies give them time, he will don as much armor as he can, before drawing his scimitar and mounting his horse. If nothing else, he'll get his helmet and gauntlets on, and hope for the best.
Once the fighting starts, I will be choosing to have my Technique add +4 to Armor TN.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:47 pm

When the other samurai warn of an impending attack, Hiroake makes his bow ready. He may not be a true warrior, but he does know how to use the weapon. He says to the others, "I speak the tongues of the people of the Burning Sands and Ivory Kingdoms. If there is the possibility of a parlay with these people, I may be of help. And, if not," he adds, not wanting to appear to shirk his duties as a samurai, "I do have some training in this bow."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Sorry guys, I'll try to get the map up tonight/tomorrow, busy as hell atm
Ryuu's warning of harriers is initially ignored, he's a barely respectable deserter, after all. Then the arrows fall. Several sentries call out as armoured figures move in from the darkness. From their equipment Ryuu knows these aren't regular Yodatai soldiers, but they are likely very dangerous anyway.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Yoshihiro is sitting before his small portable shrine, a few stone figures that represent the Lords of Death. In deep meditation he doesn't notice the baying of the hounds, let alone the strangness of their call. The caravan is slow to muster, but he hears Ryuu shouting. This man may not little about the kami, but he has made this trip before, and as far as the Moto can tell, is trained in the ways of the traveler, so he lifts his head. "Ryuu-san, what is the best course of action?"

Arrows then begin to fall among the scouts and guards on the edge of camp and the shugenja grabs out a scroll from his satchel and unrolls it. "Yodotai? Here?" He begins to read the scroll, sand swirling about his feet, it rises up his legs and to his chest as if to clothe him in a suit of armor of the very earth he stands on.
Draw Armor of Earth. I'm not sure if I can cast it or if I should wait for initiative. If I can cast it might as well get some armor up on myself.

5k3 TN 10, duration 10 rounds, grants Reduction of 5 for me.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 am

"Iuchi-san, Moto-san," Yukiko says curtly as she sees the bow in the emissary's hand and the Death Priest preparing themselves. "If you can manage I ask you to keep my back clear and when it comes to it I will make sure none can engage you in close combat."

When the arrows begin to fall and the first figures begin to appear the now mounted battle maiden, wheels her steed towards the opponent. Since she's not part of a cavalry unit and figures that not every samurai in the caravan will be a fighter she chooses a point between their own unarmored and the enemies before silently riding into battle.
Activate kata: Strength of the Unicorn.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:08 am

I'm having issues with Photoshop, so no map :( I'm sorry guys, anyway, going to start the battle regardless, hopefully things will be better after this weekend

V, you rolled a 33, Armour of Earth is up
Yukiko 26, Hiroake 23, Ryuu 19, Yoshihiro 12, Yodatai 12, Naseru 9
Some warrior leap to their feet at the call of the siblings, some stagger, but the camp is not caught unawares.

The raiders push on though, pilums fall, a few hitting sentries, but then the samurai are ready. Several have their katana or scimitar ready when the men come out of the darkness.

Yodatai

Ryuu finds himself relieved for the moment, these are not regular soldiers but scouts, raiders, and mercenaries. Still, the men are skilled, and have the element of surprise.
Since you guys managed to alert the caravan, you only have to defeat one each. The enemy is within 30' of your characters by the time you can see them, again, sorry for the lack of map. Designate as targets Y1-Y5
"I will always return."
-Shinjo