The Wastes: Travel (The First Scroll)

The Unicorn guard one of only two ways to the Colonies, anchored at one end by the Western Steppes and at the other, Journey's End Keep.

Samurai assigned to the keep must first survive the trip, and then contend with the local wildlife and terrain, as well as politics from back home.
Run by the Daimyo Phlale
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Wastes: Travel (The First Scroll)

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 pm

"I shall do you one better Yukiko-san. Hold amoment and take the blessing of Fire." He yanks a scroll from his pouch and begins to read it quickly, the prayer races from his mouth like flames up a paper shoji screen. Smoke licks his fingers and then he flicks that smoke at Yukiko, as it wraps around her arms she can feel a burst of energy, "You are Never Alone when among the Unicorn!"
Yukiko should delay a moment.

Cast Never Alone: 3k2 TN 10, Duration 5 Rounds

The target of the spell receives a bonus to all attack rolls, Skill rolls, and Trait Rolls equal to your Fire Ring (Which is 2). This effect lasts until either the spell expires, or until the target fails an attack roll or Skill Roll, or until the target suffers Wounds from any source, whichever comes first.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 pm

And so I shall.
Delay until after Yoshiro.

(I assume the horse acts with the rider. Also: I'll use the stats from the book for the Utaku warhorse.)
Arashi (Yukiko's mount): Simple: Move 30' towards enemy (which is no trouble with a movement of 60' as a Simple Action).
Simple: Kick opponent.
Also: Steed gains +3 Armor TN and +3 Reduction due to kata.
Attack: 4k3.
Damage: 6k2.

Yukiko: Stance: Full Attack.
Complex: Attack opponent with Scimitar.
Attack: Base 8k4 + 2k1 (for Full Attack) + 6 (School Technique: + Honor Rank) + 2 (from Never Alone) = 10k5+8 (also: 1k0 if opponent is male but that won't matter because 11k5+8 is still 10k5+8.)
2 Raises for Damage.
Damage: Base: 7k3+3. With Raises: 8k4+3.
"Hai, Moto-san," Yukiko replies and lingers for a moment while the Death Priest casts his spell. However, she eagerly drives her steed forward as soon as the shugenja is done, riding into battle without a word on her lips. The distance is short ant the horse carries its rider to the battle within a few moments. Not only the mount but the shiotome on its back lash out against their enemy.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Hiroake nods at the words of the bushi. As she gets ready to ride, he knocks an arrow and looses it at one of the closest bandits, trying to keep Yukiko's path clear.
Archery: 4k2

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:41 am

Hiroake 23, Ryuu 19, Yoshihiro 12, Yukiko 12, Yodatai 12, Naseru 9
Yoshihiro Spellcasting: 3f2 (9, 8, 7) = 17 vs TN 10

Arashi Kick: 4k3 (9, 8, 5, 2) = 22 vs TN ?? Hit
Damage: 6k2 (19, 9, 9, 5, 5, 2) Injured
Yukiko Attack: 10k5+8 (9, 9, 8, 7, 7, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2) + 8 = 48 vs TN??+10 Hit
Damage: 8k4+3 (14, 6, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2) = 29 Dead

Hiroake Attack: 4k2 (6, 6, 3, 3) = 12 vs TN?? Miss
The Death Priest treats with the local Kami and they heed his prayer, rushing to the aide of the Battle Maiden. She feels her muscles quicken and her mind sharpen as she charges down the first raider. The poor fool raises his wooden shield to fend off the scimitar striking downward, but fails to deal with the Utaku steed's hooves. His knee is struck and he drops, just as the samurai-ko's blade bites home. He never doesn't survive the fall to the sand.

Hiroake is a warrior in name only, his first arrow of the battle flies wide of its target, not bothering the gaijin at all.

Ryuu as the warriors close.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Ryuu kicks his Utaku mount into action. Atop Demon, Ryuu leans over, swinging his scimitar toward one of the nearest men that is attacking the caravan. The blade hums down, attempting to take off the man's head as he rides by.
Stance: Attack
Simple: Control Horse, Move toward nearest guy
Complex: Kenjutsu (Scimitar) / Attack
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Ryuu Horsemanship: 6k3 (7, 4, 4, 2, 2, 1) = 15
Ryuu Attack: 6k3 (7, 6, 4, 3, 2, 2) Miss

Y2 moves to Yoshihiro and takes defensive stance
Y3 moves to Ryuu and takes defensive stance
Y4 moves to Hiroake and takes defensive stance
Y5 Attack Ryuu: 24 vs TN 32 Miss
Ryuu kicks his mount into the fray, picking a target close enough to threaten the others. He swings, but at the last moment his horse moves under him, and the heavy scimitar sails over the target's head.

The enemy begins to move. One man draws his sword and closes in with the Death Priest, another goes after the archer, Hiroake, while a third moves to flank Ryuu. The Yodatai already engaged with Ryuu stabs, the motion almost unused in Rokugan, but Ryuu knows that the short blades are ideal for it. He easily parries the attack and the battle continues.

Hiroake 23, Ryuu 19, Yoshihiro 12, Yukiko 12, Yodatai 12
, Naseru 9
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:14 pm

Hiroake backs up, trying to stay out of melee combat, while loosing an arrow at the Yodatai moving towards him.
Free Action: Move away from melee.
Complex action: Archery (4k2) vs. Yodatai attacking me.

I have to admit I'm a little fuzzy on the lay-out of what's happening and how close my attacker is. If I can't safely get away to make a ranged attack, Hiroake will drop his bow, draw his wakizashi and attack with it.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:40 am

Naseru gathers the reigns in his hand, disgusted that the stupid gaijin managed to ambush them, and now he is without his armor. He draws his Scimitar and quickly analyzes the battlefield. After a moment of thought, he charges towards the Death Priest, refusing to allow the foreigners a chance to strike down a holy man.
Charge and Attack Y2, since that is one is setting up to attack Yoshihiro.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:41 am

With her opponent dead the battle maiden instantly brings her mount around to keep her word to the priest and the courtier. Seeing that her husband is already supporting the shugenja Yukiko drives forward to see that Hiroake stays unhurt.
Same deal but attacking Y4.

Arashi: Simple: Move 30' towards enemy (which is no trouble with a movement of 60' as a Simple Action).
Simple: Kick opponent.
Also: Steed gains +3 Armor TN and +3 Reduction due to kata.
Attack: 4k3.
Damage: 6k2.

Yukiko: Stance: Full Attack.
Complex: Attack opponent with Scimitar.
Attack: Base 8k4 + 2k1 (for Full Attack) + 6 (School Technique: + Honor Rank) + 2 (from Never Alone) = 10k5+8 (also: 1k0 if opponent is male but that won't matter because 11k5+8 is still 10k5+8.)
2 Raises for Damage.
Damage: Base: 7k3+3. With Raises: 8k4+3.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:12 am

Hiroake 23
, Ryuu 19, Yoshihiro 12, Yukiko 12, Yodatai 12, Naseru 9
Note: I am rolling the control mount, but generally, as Unicorn, you guys are blowing the TN's out of the water
Naseru Attack: 6k3 (17, 7, 6, 6, 6, 4) = 30 Hit
Damage: 6k3+3 (9, 7, 6, 4, 3, 1) +3 = 25 Hurt

Hiroake Attack: 4k2 (8, 6, 5, 1) = 14 Miss

Yukiko Attack: 11k5+8 (16, 15, 13, 8, 8, 6, 5, 5, 2, 2) +8 = 68 Hit (holy...)
Damage: 8k4+3 (13, 9, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 3) +3 = 37 Down
Arashi Attack: 4k3 (19, 7, 4, 1) = 30
Damage: 6k2 (13, 8, 7, 4, 3, 1) = 21 Dead

Remaining:
Y2 (Defensive stance, flanked by Naseru and Yoshihiro) Hurt
Y3 (Defensive stance, flanking Ryuu)
Y5 (flanking Ryuu)
Naseru drives his heels into his mount, moving quickly to protect the holy man. Though the man is set against attacks, the Vindicator's blade cuts deep into his arm, nearly severing it. Now flanked by both the priest and the angry Unicorn, fear dances in the warrior's eyes.

Hiroake stumbles back, firing an arrow at the attacker. This one also flies wide, though the space between proves valuable when the Battle Maiden charges into it.

Yukiko drives her mount into the area vacated by Hiroake, and in a flurry of blows, both from mount and rider, the threat is neutralized.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo