Prelude: The Hall of Fire

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Prelude: The Hall of Fire

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Image 'This is the Hall of Fire' said the wizard.
'Here you will hear many songs and tales -- if you can keep awake.
But except on high days it usually stands empty and quiet,
and people come here who wish for peace, and thought.
There is always a fire here, all the year round,
but there is little other light.'
Two months and six days since the horror of Carn Dûm was unleashed.

Here is the Hall of Fire in the House of Elrond. Many come here for peace or song or thought. Today upstairs Aravule has finally awoken and the talk of the fate of the expedition to the North is on the fore of many people's mind.

The Hall of Fire is as wide as the great hall of Elrond, but it is mostly empty, without a screens passage, nor tables or dais. In most days, the only source of light is a bright fire burning in a great hearth between two rows of carven pillars. The fire is fed all year round, and guests of Elrond come here to find comfort and peace, as merely being in the Hall of Fire seems like a cure for the spirit.

On high days the hall comes to life with the sound of many fair voices. Elvish minstrels play the songs they spent decades perfecting, and poems and tales of distant ages of the world are recounted for evenings on end.

Other folks fall easily under the spell of the Hall of Fire, and may find themselves spending many evenings sitting and thinking, or looking for (and finding!) the right words for a new poem or a song. And if they are skilful enough, or just lucky, the Elves might even recite their poems or sing their songs.

Today a few are here...
This is for Bo and BBaggins to use, folks can feel free to come and go from this thread and the other as the RP Dictates.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Prelude: The Hall of Fire

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:29 pm

In the wake of the ill-fated quest, Telurin found himself quite restless. He had gone against his own internal counsel, but had said nothing.

What is worse? Going on a dangerous mission with hope because you trust the leader, or knowing there's little hope, that it is in fact a foolish errand, and yet saying nothing? He tried to comfort himself knowing he went with the goal to merely protect Arafel and his family, but even at this he had failed.

After the survivors returned to Rivendell, Telurin went quickly back to the smithy and his lamp-making, but he was too distracted. A shadow had fallen on his heart, and he never found the inspiration to work. He spent long hours sitting in front of the hot fires, fiddling with his tools, watching Aerondil and the other smiths work, feeling the heat against his forehead and chest and hands. The burning reflected the restlessness and frustration in his spirit, and felt like a salve, though it was only as deep as his skin, and lasted only as long as he remained there.

Occasionally Telurin left the smithy, checking back with Halleth on Aravule's health, walking in the Valley along the river. But after weeks of fruitless efforts, he set his tools aside. I need to get my mind off what happened. We all do. Elrond has been more than gracious to give me leave after what happened, after he had counseled against it. I must return to my duties as a soldier.

Telurin went to the Hall of Fire to sit and think some more, hoping he might see Halleth and be able to talk to him about Aravule again.

But while he was waiting, Aerondil entered the Hall.

"I didn't expect you here so soon in the day! It is barely eleven. You normally work solidly through midday, and finish your work in the afternoon. You don't seem to be having the trouble in your work that I have."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Bo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 am

"Not so, Telurin," says Aerondil as he enters the hall. His countenance is stern but softens a little as he has a seat on Telurin's right.

"My mind is racing and my thoughts are heavy." He shakes his head. "If the pounding of my anvil seems undisturbed, it's because I have poured my anguish in to my work and not dealt with it in my heart.. and that is unbecoming of any Elf of Imladris."

He takes a deep breath and looks a little more relieved. The flickering fire and comfortable chairs of this place have that effect. "Oh well.. I suppose we are fools for following Aravule to that dreadful place. He just called me as much..." He chuckles. "And it will not be often said that Aerondil son of Aerondil counts a Man right and himself wrong!"

He forces a smile. "I just left Aravule's bedside. He is healing slowly .. and in no mood for a kindly jest, I might add." He pauses.

"I only wish all of us who were on that fateful journey could come together and talk .. figure it all out." He shake his head. "I've sen much in my long years.. but this in some way feels... different. Don't you agree?"
~Bo~

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:42 am

The sound of the fire and a harp strumming in the Hall normally relaxed Telurin; it might have made him drowsy, were he not of the Eldar. But a new idea had entered his mind, and his thoughts were stirred.

As Aerondil began to answer, Telurin paused his flurry of new thoughts to listen. "I don't know Aerondil. Surely I have never been to such a dark place before, nor have I seen many things in my short years such as this. But still, I can't imagine the Elves of Elrond's House have not seen such things. That is why they find few reasons to leave this Valley.
As for yourself, if I had paid closer attention I'm sure I could have seen you hitting the anvil with more force. Yet I am glad to hear Aravule was sharp-tongued enough to call you a fool. That kind of mood is better than his sombre one."
He paused a moment, as his idea returned to him.
"Oh, let me tell you a thought I've had about how we might help him, and . . ." Telurin paused mid-sentence, and turned his head.

His eyes were suddenly drawn to an Elven woman passing through the Hall, clearly walking with a purpose in mind. She wore a yellow-gold dress, with a red sash round her waist. Her light brown hair, streaked with blonde, was held up at the sides, and hung along with a few braids down her back. She carried finely embroidered silk, and was soon out of sight.

Telurin snapped his mind back to the moment.
"I was saying, I had a thought about how we might help him, give him a new purpose. How often have you thought about that dwarf Vara? I'm certain Aravule has. Well, I can think of two things that might help the boy - first, to honor his brother's memory, and his father's as well. Second, to be given his half of the treasure, which those stiff-necked Dwarves made off with. There's no reason to think they planned to betray him... circumstances fell apart and they escaped. They are not honorable, for they have not sought Aravule to keep their agreement, and pay the weregild that is surely due for his brother's deaths. But we have been in Rivendell this whole time, and I know very few stories where Dwarves were welcomed here. Perhaps... perhaps we should seek out Vara? Perhaps with some persuasion he will be willing to give Aravule the gold his brothers dearly paid for. And with that gold Aravule can fund a project to honor their memory, some way to help the Men of Eriador, or any of the people left under his care."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:58 am

Now /that/ is a massive post! I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up!
"There is no harm in it," says Aerondil, speaking of seeking out Vara. Ever the patient Elf, he doesn't so much 'forgive and forget' as take the 'long view' of things. For example, Men are quick to anger, envy, jealousy, pride.. thus Aravule's words were discounted. Dwarves are known for their love of gold, treasure, stone and craft.. and so perhaps there is another explanation for Vara's silence.

His eyes, too, follow the female elf but then return to the fire. He speaks as the harp lilts on. "Aravule may indeed be drawn to action by what you suppose... but if his heart burns for revenge or his lust for treasure motivates him, Lord Elrond will surely again withhold his blessing." He shakes his head.

"We should admit our folly. Following this man was a mistake to begin with. However... there is something about him and his quest. Surely at least some patron would see that..."
~Bo~

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:08 am

No worries about responding to all of it. My posts won't usually be this long, especially in an adventure. This is more like a fellowship phase. Your reply was great!
"You are right, he is important, anyone with any foresight can see that. As for myself, I cannot support any quest like that again. But I must watch over him. I failed to protect his brothers, and I cannot fail again. It isn't my duty, nor yours, to revive purpose in his life, but if he wastes away here, or throws his life on another foolish errand...what good have we done?
Bringing this idea, about the Dwarf, to him will have to be handled carefully. Your are certainly right - if it is about revenge or gold, then neither of us should be a part of it. But if we can get his promise to not harm Vara, (and we must make no such promise, for we will only act in protection of him), perhaps we can go, and more importantly, perhaps Elrond will at least tolerate it."

Telurin pauses and seems lost in thought. His eyes turn toward the passage where the Lady-elf was last seen leaving.

"Who was that? I've never seen her here before."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:22 am

"The fair daughter of Barahir," says Aerondil. "Of Edhellond." He pauses. "Though it's been long years since I have seen her."

He comes back to the subject of Aruvale and Vara. "You speak wisely. We would honor the Dunedain with our protection, but by not seeking.. treasure... perhaps free ourselves from our Lords ire and ridicule." Aerondil's face looks as if he only half believes his own words.

At last he hangs his head. "I can no more speak-half truths to myself or to you or to the Lord of Imladris." He rubs his temple. "The truth is, there is much lore to be found.. that of craft, of song, and of history.. buy supporting this man's quest."

He continues. "If ever we come before Elrond again for counsel, I will clearly state my bias. At least that way I can have a clear mind."
~Bo~

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:27 pm

"You mean Barahir, one of the princes of Edhellond? I wonder why his daughter is come to Rivendell... I wonder if he is here as well."

Telurin closes his eyes for a moment. Perhaps he is trying to keep the lovely image in his mind; or perhaps he is simply full of concerns, as is Aerondil.

"What if we were to go now to Elrond, and explain our concerns for the young man, and our idea? If Elrond knew that the thought of seeking out this Dwarf was ours, and if we told him we would talk to Aravule about it, assuring the Master of the House that we would not support it if Aravule wasn't amenable to acting peaceably and without avarice, perhaps he would allow this endeavour? Though Elrond could naturally be angry that these men brought such a fate upon themselves against his wisdom, surely he can see that Aravule was the youngest brother and hardly the leader. Surely he can see that Aravule will need a lot more than physical healing, and that this is one real way we can bring him closure."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:32 am

"I think that is an excellent idea," says Aerondil. "It would lift some of the heaviness in my heart if we could speak frankly to Lord Elrond and let him know our concerns and our wishes for the future. I wonder when he would allow us to seek his counsel..."

Then he continues about the female elf. "Yes. No other than Barahir of Edhellond. You are right - it's no small journey to come here from far to the South, especially with the reports we've heard out of Eregion." He narrows his eyes. "If Edhellond is here with his daughter, their business must be important."
Last edited by Bo on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Bo~

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:21 am

"There may be some secret business between Elrond and a prince of Edhellond, but it also could be the obvious. This is the Last Homely House. A stop for travelers on their way to Wilderland is how most understand that name. But it is also the last stop for the Firstborn who have felt the call of the Sea, and are on their final journey West. Have you seen Barahir here? Or his wife?

Regarding Elrond, I am certain we could get an audience with him soon, or at least with my captain Elladan. As I said, I think it is important we say nothing of this idea to Aravule, or Halleth, until we have met with the Lord. He must know it is not tied to any over-eager ambitions. He has given me leave from duty, but it will soon be time I returned to service. Perhaps he will allow this last endeavour before I am called back to serve. Shall we go seek him or the captain now?"