Book 1: Chapter 1 - Troubles in Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: A Rough Neighborhood

Post by Wbweather » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:42 pm

"So, have we answered all your questions? Tell us, what kind of work do you do? Did you have anything to do with that tanner's shop?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:34 pm

The Homebase

Telurin and Aravule have made all things ready back at home and simply wait for Hartely and Halleth to return so they can tell what they have learned. While the would be king and elf are moving about the prison they have the feeling they may be being watched.

The Hobbit and Ranger give their resumes, and the man seems impressed. "Impressed."

He then slumps in his chair, he looks very drunk, too dunk. "Barkwells? Naw that placed burned down before I had mixed up with him." He hiccups downs the rest of his drink then then topples out of his chair with a crash.

The barkeep looks over, "Either get him up drinking and paying, or he's done here and I'll have him tossed into the river!"
Let's wrap up so we can do other things with other people
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Hartley leans over and whispers under his breath to Halleth, "I'm starting to think this has been a dead end. Do you think we can get any useful information out of this fellow or should we just cut our losses?"
Bending over to help set the the drunk back up, he says to the man," Why don't you take us to your boss and let us treat with him directly so you can go sleep off your gin."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 am

Taking his instincts seriously, Telurin peeks out of an arrowslit of the top wall of the prison, seeing if there are men nearby.
Awareness

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Hartley helps the man back into his chair, but the man is only partially conscience now. He mutters something unintelligble, but you get the feeling it was an insult. If Hartley lets go the man is sure to fall over again.

Telurin moves to one of the arrow slits and looks out, there are two dwarves standing out there speaking to one another, a few random motions from them suggests they are pointing at the prison. From the angle Telurin is at he can't see their faces.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:09 pm

As it is just two Dwarves, Telurin walks toward an opening in the top wall for addressing visitors. When he is there and can see the Dwarves more clearly. He stands there visibly watching them, but says nothing for the moment, waiting to see if they are lost, merely passing through, or have perhaps come to pay them to hold a prisoner.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:29 pm

Hartley shrugs and lets the man collapse back onto the floor. Turning to Halleth he says. " Had hoped that we could learn more of use here. I am afraid I wasted our time. Should we get back to the jail and begin making plans for this Saturday?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Aravule is talking to the dwarfs, asking how they will finally fix a part of the wall that had been vexing to the prison. "We need to get this fixed," he says, unaware of the company. "Else something will knock it down, that much I am sure."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Halleth grins at Hartley and says, "I have a better idea." To the barkeep he says, "Don't worry, we'll get him out of here. No need for you to toss him in the river." Halleth lifts the man out of his chair and slings his arm over Halleth's shoulders. Then he says, "Come along with me. I'll find you a place to sleep this off--I can't exactly get work from you if you've been drowned." Halleth makes as if he is considering for a moment. "Well, I've no idea where you live and I don't think you're in any shape to tell me, so why don't you just come along home with me." He winks at Hartley. If they can pull this off, they will have a prisoner to interrogate.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:55 pm

The hobbit smiles at Halleth. He does what he can to help the ranger get the semiconscious man out of the bar. "Good thinking. Lets get him out of here quickly before we get noticed."