Book 1: Chapter 1 - Troubles in Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Hartley has been coming to the Empty Mug since that fateful days 8 months ago. The locals have gotten to know him, and he them -- as much as anyone around these parts knows one another. The bartender is actually the third such man to run the place. It seems every few months something happens to the man running the place. Rumors run wild -- failed to pay his debtors, had an accident down by the river, stabbed trying to break up a bar fight, moved to Bree, etc...

This man, Helmgund, has been here for about two months, and things seem to be doing pretty good at the Empty Mug since he took over. He is slender, well built, and if not for a limp you would expect he should be out in the fields or on the roads, not stuck inside behind the bar. He flips a rag over his shoulder, "Now then Master Hartley that sort of talk is what will get you in trouble in Tharbad. You don't know changing things, and nothing bad can happen to you from the change." He fills the hobbits mug up and takes a few coins from him, "Plenty of folk in this town are in trouble or need help. Look around you, half my business if from the downtrodden and depressed. Their ain't no taxes but the tolls and protection money can get out of hand. Heard plenty rumors of local shop owners having trouble paying their bills. Heard tell of that one place burnt down just a bit ago. I keep my nose out of it however, best I can, and that keeps me here. I don't want to end up like the man before me."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:17 pm

"Well what I find odd is that as long as we've been here, we haven't heard a word from anyone on the island, nor been visited by any of those thugs. Perhaps what the downtrodden and distressed could use is a little protection from their protectors, if you catch my meaning. Maybe if we stood guard for folks when the others came to collect their protection money, we might be able to convince them it would be in their best interest to be on their way. I'm not talking about setting up another extortion ring, but truly standing up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. What do you think about that master Helmgund? Would folks be willing to go along with that if they knew we wouldn't run, but be true to our word?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Anyone else, free to jump in or start up anyplace else.
"Count yourselves lucky if the Isle hasn't turned it eye to you. What I know of you folks however, is you don't generate any coin, if you did, that might change. I don't know, its tough all over, and people aren't too interested in rocking the boat, bad things happen to people who rock the boat."

Someone at the bar, a man, listening in, laughs with a shout, "They fall in and drowned is what happens to them!"

Another man chimes in from behind Hartley, "Some of us can swim, and some of us are sick of it." He comes up next to Hartley "Let me buy you a drink and we can talk, name is Nomrel, local shop keep." Nomrel is a rather average looking man of southern Eriador decent; medium cut brown hair, decent clothing, and a 'enough is enough' look on his face.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Hartley smiles at the thought of maybe making some headway. The idea of a free drink doesn't hurt his mood any either. "Well Master Nomrel, me and my company are tired of seeing the injustice done around here and we think we might be able to help set things aright, but it will take folk such as you who are willing to get behind us if we are ever to see that happen. I'd love to have a drink and hear your story. Tell me about your shop. I'm afraid I haven't run across it yet."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Hartley and Nomrel move to a table, and the man pays for drinks for the both of them. He's a bit nervous as he starts in on his tale.

"Several shopkeepers in the central district, including myself, have recently been contacted by a group of ruffians who call themselves the Gurth Rodyn, and have demanded weekly payments of money or goods in return for 'protecting' our shops. At first, I did not take these demands seriously, this sort of things crops up from time to time. Then however, things changed a bit, and Barkwell's tannery and leather shop was burned down, and word was passed that this was an example of the disasters that could befall 'unprotected' merchants. The gang told me they would return on Saturday for their first payment. I have not and will not pay such extortion, but I have no wish to loose my shop or worse either. If you can find and eliminate these blackguards before Saturday, I will gladly pay you half of the money they are demanding. What do you say?"
Gurth Rodyn roughly translates, in Silvan:

Gurth is death.
Rodyn is alternate name of the last day of the Eldarin six-day week.

It happens to be the day AFTER Satuday or Orgilion in silvan.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Hartley looks at the man seriously, trying to read just how how strong his courage is. "Well, what I say might not be the same as what the leader of our little group might say, but I know that we both have the same objective. We want to see Tharbad thrive on its own without some thug extorting the life out of it. I care not about your money personally. You have more need of it than I. Whether my ranger friends would find a good use to put it toward, I can't say one way or the other. I will tell them of your concerns and I believe we can take care of the situation. What I need from you is more details. Where might we find these ruffians? Do you know who gives them their orders? I should very much like to set up a meeting between you and any others you know willing to take a stand and our leader Aravule and the others in our company. Can you come to the old jail where we have set up our headquarters later tonight?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:40 pm

He looks surprised that Hartley doesn't want his money, and his tone changes slightly to one of gratitude. "I don't know if the others will want to meet, not in public. I can tell you who is involved if you want to go ask them about it." He gives you some business names and locations, all are located away from the river bank merchant area, up on more permanent dry land.

The Mithril Croawn, Herbs of Quality, Ibal's Shoes, Findegil the merchant, and Serinde's Originals.

"I believe some of of these folks are already paying out protection money."

He takes a drinks and considers, "I don't know who's behind it, I have my suspicions of course. This gang's bagmen always make their appearances early in the morning, (on different days). Three of them, two tall ones, and one small one, all cloaked and hooded. Its one of them tall ones that does the transactions while the others, armed, wait by the door. They don't stick around long after that."

He waits for the hobbit to have some more of his drink, "When they pressured me I heard one of them call their 'negotiator' by the name Merwai. Fraid I don't really know more than that. I do know that Saturday is only three days away however!"

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Hartley finishes off his drink and then gives the man a reassuring smile. "Here's what I will do. I will take this information back to my people and see if I can't get together a group to visit the other merchants and deal with these three thugs. If nothing can be accomplished, then I shall try to have a group at your shop early Saturday to convince them you are not worth their time."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:41 pm

He fidgets with his mug and the nods, "Alright, I think that will work. I don't know what sort of reception you will get from the others, some of them are pretty scared. Saturday is coming soon, so I wish you good speed, for your sake but mostly for mine."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Hartley, slips out of the Empty Mug quietly and makes his way back to the jail. All the way he imagines dark eyes watching him, but he sees nothing. Once back to the stronghold he gathers the company together and relays the information he received from Nomrel, as well as the urgency of the request for help. "I think that this may be the time to act." He states. "If we can prove ourselves to these merchants, we might begin to make some true headway with the locals. Anyway, I'm tired of sitting here doing nothing but getting fat. I could do that back in Bree and the beer is better there."