Book 1: Chapter 1 - Troubles in Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:54 pm

"Well done, Hartley; it takes a Hobbit who seems safe to confide in to find the opportunity we've needed," answers Telurin. "Let us go see these merchants now. But should we split up, and go to each one separately, with no more than two of us per merchant? We might seem less legitimate, less likely to be able to protect them in their eyes, but we will surely draw less attention if we do not go all together. If seen visiting each of these merchants as a group, it could easily be reported to powers from whom we wish to remain hidden, and ultimately make things far worse for us and these whom we wish to protect."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:34 pm

"Well, Master Hartley," says Halleth, "Good work indeed. You're right Telurin--it's a bit of a conundrum, but I would think going in pairs makes the most sense. I'm sure Master Hartley did his best to be discrete, but he's no spy and who knows what rumors are now spreading. Best to move quickly before they reach the wrong ears."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:41 pm

"The dwarfs will stay behind to look after the jail."

Aravule leans back, "Certainly, they come and visit all the merchants at one time, going from one to the next. We'll stay with your contact, Hartley, and then we'll send a message to the thugs and reclaim the coin they've stolen. Once we have it, we'll return it to the rightful owner and have all their respect in one quick moment."

"We shall see what comes after, likely we'll have to deal with this malcontents again, and when that's finished we'll head south to recruit more for our cause."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:47 pm

"You are not concerned about drawing their attention too quickly, Aravule?" asks Telurin. "Two at a time may enable us to speak with these shop owners without tipping off the criminals of our intentions. However, I agree that if we reclaim the stolen coin, the merchants will quickly be ready to support us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Aravule shrugs, "We can take positions inside and outside of the building in secret. Hartley can signal to us. The rest of us will come forward and propose our ultimatum to the criminals. Give the gold back and do not come again, or we shall take it from them, by force if need be." The king considers for a moment, "We may even take them to the jail as we enforce the King's law."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:55 pm

The Elf nods in agreement. "Ah, I was speaking of our approach to the merchants. But you are right, there is little need to speak with them first. In fact, it would be better if we do not. For the thieves should not imagine that the merchants hired us, otherwise the criminals' wrath could be directed toward innocent folk, rather than us. But your plan to confront them is good. Anyone have other suggestions, before we make our move?"

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:36 pm

"Why not prevent them from taking the money in the first place? Couldn't we post a guard and just tell them. "Move along, your services are no longer required?" He pauses. "My biggest concern is not so much the initial confrontation with the thugs> I worry about their retaliation, and we all know that it will come. We will have to offer them true protection if this plan is going to work."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:50 pm

"Let us confront the thugs first. Then we can post a guard at the shops. Perhaps we will come to a strong enough understanding that they will not try any further harm." When Telurin uses the word "understanding" his implied meaning is emphasized.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Halleth frowns. "I don't know about not speaking to the merchants first. Some may not actually wish our help, fearing it will make things worse for them. And if we act without speaking to them first, how are they to tell us from a group of rival thugs? Perhaps it will blow our cover, but I think it is wiser to speak with the merchants before we offer them our protection."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:43 pm

"They will not know we are thugs because we shall not be. We return their gold, every piece."

Aravule shakes his head. "The laws of kings protect every man, woman and child, even if they would not wish it. I will take my sword up as these brigands attempt to steal and smite them." Aravule seems set on his plan.