Book 1: Chapter 1 - Troubles in Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:18 pm

"Let us set an ambush for these thugs. Even if the other shopkeepers don't know about us, Nomrel will, and he will speak well of us if the others see us as just a rival gang, planning to do the same thing as soon as the old one is driven away or killed. And as you say Aravule," continues Telurin, "When no further gold is taken, indeed, if we are able to find and return the gold that has already been stolen, that should win these merchants over quickly."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:34 pm

"My liege," says Halleth slowly, "You're not king yet. And even a king needs to be strategic in his actions. And with as few resource as we have now, all the more reason to be strategic. We may face a backlash if we try to help the merchants without their permission. Then we'll be in an even weaker position. And we don't know enough about these thugs to just ambush them. We need to gather more intelligence if we are to set a cunning trap. And to gather that intelligence we need to talk to the merchants." The older man is beginning to think that, while Aravule has many of the qualities of a good king, the lad is still quite rash in ways likely to get them all in trouble.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:01 pm

"I am king by right of birth, do not forget that." Aravule looks at Halleth and is quickly becoming irritated with the older ranger. "If you do not believe that, you may leave Tharbad. I do not require you to stay."

Aravule considers the words concerning the merchants, "In truth, speaking to them is certainly not necessary. If they do not wish our aid, then they continue to be robbed, and then what teeth do we have? We shall speak to Nomrel about their numbers and more about them. It is time for us to show our teeth. Let us prepare."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Heading to Nomrel's

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:44 pm

The group spends a time in debate, and the compromise seems to be for the moment to go speak to Nomrel about the situation further. So leaving the here, and gathering your things you head out into the ruins of the city seeking Nomrel's little shop in the 'center district'. That means back to the shore, and paying the barge man once again. He poles you across the Gwathlo and you may your way into town looking for Nomrel's little place.

Its a small shop, where Nomrel and his family spin wool into thread and sell some simple cottage-spun clothing and blankets. It isn't a large building, but its clearly going well enough. Your group, Aravul, Halleth, Hartley and Telurin approach from across the street. The street is busy this time of day, and it seems even in this ruin of a city men will survive.
Aerondil (Aegor) isn't around, he's off doing whatever right now until Aegor returns.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Heading to Nomrel's

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:29 pm

"Well Hartley, you know the man. Find out if it a safe time for us to all approach, or if he thinks he's being watched. If it's clear," adds Telurin, "you can introduce us...that way he doesn't become concerned when a bunch of armed strangers come in."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Heading to Nomrel's

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Halleth sighs and says wearily to Aravule, "My liege, have you ever had any cause to doubt my loyalty? Of course you are the rightful king. I'm trying to help you figure out how to regain your blasted throne."

Outside Nomrel's shop, Halleth nods at Telurin's suggestion. "Aye, that seems like a smart move. Go speak to the man, Master Hartley."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Heading to Nomrel's

Post by Wbweather » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Hartley makes his way into Nomrel's shop. "Good day master Nomrel, " he bows deeply to the man. "I have some friends who would like to talk with you about the discussion we had recently. Are you still of the same mind you were then? Sunday is approaching quickly and I think we should make arrangements. Is it alright if I bring them in?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Heading to Nomrel's

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Hartley heads for Nomrel's little shop, while the others wait across the street browsing about at the wares of the few craftsmen that have things out. One could get some woven reed baskets, or even a stool or two here. There is some very simple crockery and kitchen wares as well available that the locals have made that they are selling or bartering with. It seem barter is more common than coins here, and what coins are in use are a mix of things from Bree, or Rohan, or old coins of the fallen Arnor.

Hartley heads inside and greets Nomrel. The man looks up and welcomes the hobbit into the shop, "Hello Hartley." He listens a moment and shrugs, "I am of the same mind, I plan to pay you to put an end to these thugs, but I'm afraid I've told you all I know about them. I really don't think..." he seen nervous at the very idea of it, "...having your whole kinship come in here is going to make me remember anything. I've told you what I know, the others, the other merchants, they might know something else." He rubs his temples, "Sunday is fast approaching for me, but the others they could get robbed any time now, its not like those thugs only come out on Sunday, they have a bunch of places they tour all week long." He puts a hand on Hartley's shoulder, "Look I want you to succeed, for my sake! I haven't held back anything. If your others want to talk to me again, okay, but I've told you what I know already."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Heading to Nomrel's

Post by Wbweather » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm

"Thank you friend. I will do what I can. I think we should talk to the other merchants. It sounds like they might need help sooner. We she see you again Sunday."

Hartley heads out of the shop and heads to his companions.

"You are free to talk to Nomrel, although I do not think it will be of much use. He has told us all he knows. He did say that the ruffians come to visit the other shops on different days and suggested that there might be information to gain from talking to the others. Aravule, i know you are not of a mind to talk with them, but I at least would like to. We are here in the market, perhaps we may not have to wait until Sunday for a confrontation."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Heading to Nomrel's

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Nomrel nods to Hartley, "Its a good idea, they might know more. Not to mention they might offer you some reward or would want to know if you are helping them an aren't just more thugs yourselves. You can... you can tell them I know you, that will help." He gives Hartley a few quick directions to the nearby merchants in question as well.