Prelude: Many Meetings

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Fuin pats Bláin on the shoulder, "You will make a great leader some day, keep those fires hot Bláin!" He looks over at Vara, "Yes, bring him on board. He has seen enough tragidy, and what sort of dwarves would we be to leave him here suffering."

He looks at the table, "We shall finish our task, and wait out the winter, then those who wish it may travel with Bláin and Vara and see what wrongs we can right!" The table all shouts and bangs their mugs on the table in cheer.
NP, I'm also trying to make sure the timing works with the main thread
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Bláin feels the warmth of camaraderie, which of all the Free Peoples is especially intense for the Children of Aulë, at the words of Fuin. He walks over to Vara and tells him the good news and invites him to join the band of dwarves at their table.
Right o. Shall we promenade to Ered Luin and pick up the story again in Ered Luin?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Vara joins the dwarves with a smile and the night degenerates into a host of drunken dwarves....

...Weeks Later in the Ered Luin...

The Caravan has at last made it to the Blue Mountains all in once piece. Fuin is busy making sure the goods are unloaded properly and the dwarves are unloading and finishing up their tasks. The snow has already begun to fall at this altitude and this far north. Vara stands looking out with Blain to the vale below as it turns white. "Winter is here. I'm glad to be here instead of in Bree. I must thank you again for bringing me along. It's doing me good to travel once more, and to see the mountains."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:45 pm

Smiling broadly, Bláin exclaims loudly, “Yes, ever my heart rises as well to be in the mountains again!” After a few minutes of basking in the glory of it all, Bláin turn to Vara, “You are certainly most welcome, Vara. Hopefully here, among you own kind, you can seek solace for the injuries you’ve suffered."

"After the winter has passed and the snows almost melted we can raise a small company and head out take care of the unfinished business in Tharbad on the Greyflood. We will make our way through the Tower Hills and the North and White Downs, stop in Michel Delving to restock our pipe-weed, and then head down the Greenway stopping at Sarn Ford on the Brandywine, a place where it is rumored that is guarded by the Rangers of the North. Perhaps there we can learn more about their kinsman Aravule and seek their counsel on how best to treat with him and inquire if they know of the whereabouts of Nalir. For as I’ve been told, not even the matings of a march hare are unknown to these watchers and protectors of Eriador!” Bláin laughs at this until tears run out of his eyes.

Composing himself again, he says to Vara, “But for now, let us get to work in the halls and mines, for our hands should not be idle!"
Not sure how you want to proceed from here. RP Bláin's attempt to raise a company of dwarves or just get on the road in the Spring? Or maybe encounter Nalir himself or one of his associates this winter? Your call. I'm open to whatever, though getting sooner in out of game/real time would probably be good

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Journey South, March 15th

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:33 pm

I thought of this from reading your post
Vara inhales deeply, "It is good to be here with you. I owe you, and thank you Blain." The two retire from the vantage point there is much to do. The work of the caravan itself is first, but once those things are handled the planning of the trip south to Tharbad begins. The route seem set, and a good one. Over the course of the winter Blain finds three dwarves willing to make the trip. He had hoped for more, many more, but they are eager to return to Erebor to their families, or have no desire to go wandering once more when they have for so long had to wander without a homeland. The three are younger dwarves, with little experience, and no experience with the land of South Eriador. Still, the five should be enough to make the trip without being too poorly off.

As the winter sits you are eager to leave, but must wait for spring. Finally spring arrives, and the supplies are collected and made ready. The trip may take a month or more to travel, if the weather is good, and conditions remain favorable. Following the road will make the trip easier, and there is hope for contact with Rangers in Sarn Ford for news and updates.

The moment the weather breaks you set out. The first part of the trip is easy, you travel on well known roads and into the Shire. Inns and taverns aplenty do the Hobbits have and you enjoy the company of the small folk here. There is no need to dip into your stores or bring out tents. Beyond the Shire however things are far more difficult. You come to Sarn Ford Crossing and find the Rangers there if not welcoming, they are at least polite. A group of dwarves traveling as you are isn't something they often see, and they ask you as many questions about yourselves as you ask them about the way ahead. They warn of dangers on the road, and to be wary of the Barrow Downs just to the north. You take such things to heart, but learn nothing of Nalir or other travelers in the area since none have come through. The next few days are difficult, Balin does not sleep well, the lure of treasure of the ancient men of the Second Age creeps into his dreams and stirs him from sleep. By the time your reach the fork in the road he has managed to leave those thoughts behind.

From here Vara mentions going north to Bree or south to Tharbad, but the company is resolved and south you press on. The next two weeks will take you through the lone lands of Eriador where no man or other free person still lives. Dangers lie head, the Rangers warned of wolves and wargs, and so your company sets up extra watches, which wear you out night after night, but it pays off as the fire stays bright, and the howling of the wolves never comes closer than a few miles to your camp.

Spring is coming to these more southern regions, and that means rain and plenty of it. No one is pleased when the clouds open up, the road becomes a mud pit for the ponies, the food stores are soaked, tents are always wet, and spirits drop more and more. Blain and Vara do their best to keep them high, you are only fortnight from Tharbad now, less perhaps.

Trudging through the rain, one of the companions lifts his voice into a dwarven adventure song and you finds the whole group is joining in. From under wet hoods smiles pass from dwarf to dwarf.

Spring, March 15th, A Fortnight Out of Tharbad
Prelim Rolls: Lore 0

Rolled 2! Failure. No bonus travel dice.

30 Days estimated for the Journey. 6 Travel Checks.

First 2 Easy Lands: TN 12
Rolled:
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 1,4,3,4
Totaling: 17
-----------------------------
Rolled:
Feat Die: 4*
Success Die: 3,5,4,4
Totaling: 20

Success

Third Test Daunting (Barrow Downs)

Rolled:
Feat Die: 1*
Success Die: 4,4,2,6t
Totaling: 17 with 1 success Failure

+2 Fatigue

Next Three Tests Moderate

Rolled:
Feat Die: 1*
Success Die: 4,2,1,4
Totaling: 12 Fail
Rolled:
Success Die: 1,1,1,2
Totaling: 9 Fail
Rolled:
Success Die: 2,6t,4,2
Totaling: 18 with 1 success Success

+4 more Fatigue

If you want to spend any hope on these rolls you can and I'll adjust.

Since you had no Sauron/Hazzards I figured we'd just press on through the journey stuff. But a pause here to post a few times.

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Yes! I used that card from LotR LCG and "We are not Idle" for my PC's dialog. Glad you caught the reference!
Though concerned about the morale of the company given the drenching rains and muddied roads, Bláin spirits are lifted by the power of song. After the rounds of song have ended, he stands up and says, “Though our beards are greatly dampened, our spirits are not, no?” He pauses, looking at each of them in the eye with his penetrating gaze, “I want to commend you all for staying the course with me on this journey. Indeed, while we’ve yet to find our quarry, the nefarious Nalir, we have moved down the road in good stead. Now that we are a fortnight’s journey from Tharbad, now that our hammers are close to striking the anvil, fortify yourself for the last push of the rock. When we arrive there, know that the first order of business will be to find a tavern roof and lighted hearth.” With that he sits down.

Soon thereafter, Bláin whistles loudly to attract Körbl the raven to come by his side. He asks the raven to fly to Tharbad to investigate for him--to see if he sees any dwarf-kind there or any dwarf matching the description Vara gave him of Nalir. In addition, he want to know if there are any guards at the entrance to the town. He feeds Körbl some of the special mixture of seeds, dried insects, and berries he carries when sending the raven out on particular task.
RP'ing with the raven should be fun!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Körbl pecks at the seed mixture while sitting on Bláin's hand. The raven looks sideways, head cocked, it tilts its head the other way and looks into the rain filled sky with a loud caw. Clearly the bird does not like the idea of being out in this weather. With a screech the bird takes to the air and circles the dwarves a few times and the flies off south into the dark rain soaked sky.

Vara shakes his head with a wink, "He's mad at you!"
And of course this one!

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Bláin looks south toward Tharbad and notices the sky appears less dark. He shrugs his shoulders at Vara and says as the rain drips down over the hood of his deep red cloak, “Perhaps he is now, Vara, perhaps.” Pointing to the southern sky, “But is it not better to trade this current state for a possibly better one? If I could fly, I think I may think it boon to leave here for there. But yes, I will have to reward him generously when I come back. Perhaps a bit of rabbit or mice meat might make him content. Let us see what we can round up"
my character's hunting is 0, perhaps another in our party has a higher one and can set up a snare or trap. Your call. (BTW, I don't think I would have sent him out until the weather cleared. But not matter

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Journey South, March 17th

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:53 pm

Vara nods, "Trading in one bad state for the chance at a better one? I agree, sounds like something I would do." The rain continues and the camp is grumpy for it, but by morning it has stopped leaving everything a muddy mess, and you are cold and wet, but the sun is out at least. So packing back up the dwarven fellowship is back on the road, eager now to be in Tharbad for good or ill.

Two days later a lone raven is seen in the sky, its Körbl, and the bird swoop down and lands on a nearby rock. It preens its feathers as it waits for your group to reach it. The bird looks up, head cocked, and it crows a few times.

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

The Journey South, March 17th

Post by Boronind » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:13 pm

Smiling broadly at the sight of the bird, Bláin declares to the company, “Look, Körbl has returned! Let us see what tidings he brings us of his sojourn to Tharbad.”

As he strides happily toward Körbl, Bláin pulls out his raven stone tablet from his satchel. Thin, grey, and polished, the tablet is etched with Angerthas Erebor letters and numbers. Though it is well know that ravens can speak or rather squawk in Common Tongue, dwarves have improved the form of communication by teaching ravens to peck out answers to simple questions on such a tablet.

He greets the raven of the mountains warmly, strokes his head and feeds him a piece of fresh rabbit meat that the company managed to catch since the bird’s departure. He then lays the stone tablet at the feet of Körbl and begins to ask him a series of questions.

“Is the city guarded?”

“Are there toll keepers there?”

“Did you see any Khazad in Tharbad?”

“If so, how many?”

“How did they seem well or ill?”

“Did you see any that looked like Nalir?”

“Did you see any Men like those Rangers at Sarn Ford? Exceptionally tall, grey eyed, and beardless?”

“Did anything seem dangerous there for us?”
Last edited by Boronind on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.