Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Halleth joins the elf, "Dreams are difficult to understand Dunedain, they can be prophecy, they can be history, they can be nothing more than a dream." She motions at the water, "Place your hand in the water, and close your eyes, focus on your dreams." She takes hold of Halleth's hand and light lifts it and then places it into the water. "Calm your heart, calm your head, and focus on your dreams."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Halleth starts when Thírnen takes his hand, but allows her to guide it into the water. He closes his eyes, furrows his brow, breaths deeply and does his best to calm himself. When he's feeling a bit more steady, he bring his memories of the dream to mind.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri May 25, 2018 6:47 am

"Well my friend, that wonderful fellow left me a gift that any hobbit would smile about. Old Toby straight from the Shire and a fine pipe with which to smoke it. I'd offer to share but for some reason you elves don't seem to go in for that sort of thing. It's a pity, but then I guess I don't have to worry leaving it lying about."

He bows to Haldir as if he just noticed him. "And a fine day to you sir."

"Would either of you fine gents know where I might find our friendly ranger, Halleth. This Mithrandir fellow also left an Item that I think he would find quite curious. I was on my way to find him and ask him what he knew about it."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 29, 2018 5:47 pm

Halleth allows himself to be directed by this elf, something about her stirs his heart, and he can't help but trust her. As Halleth remembers his dreams she gazes into the water, as if watching his dreams play out on the glass like surface of the stream. She is calm for a bit, then her face wrinkles and she seems uneasy. Her grip on Halleth's hand tightens then she lets go. She exhales, and closes her own eyes. "Troubling Dunedain, and hard to read, you say that was your liege? Are you certain? I did not get the feeling that you and he belonged to one another. Perhaps a relation of his?"

Haldir smiles at Hartley, "You are not the Hobbit Bilbo? It seems there are more of your kind here than I expected. You would link after so many centuries I could not be surprised, but here I am just so." He adds an afterthought, "We went down to the river to see one of my kin about a dream he had."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue May 29, 2018 6:05 pm

"Ah, that is a fine gift," replies Telurin upon hearing what was left for Hartley. "Yes, Halleth is gone to get some insight, he hopes, on his troubling dreams. And I am here daydreaming of hunting troll. Perhaps foolhardy, but then it would be with great company."

"And what was the other thing Mithrandir left you?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Vardaen wrote:Halleth allows himself to be directed by this elf, something about her stirs his heart, and he can't help but trust her. As Halleth remembers his dreams she gazes into the water, as if watching his dreams play out on the glass like surface of the stream. She is calm for a bit, then her face wrinkles and she seems uneasy. Her grip on Halleth's hand tightens then she lets go. She exhales, and closes her own eyes. "Troubling Dunedain, and hard to read, you say that was your liege? Are you certain? I did not get the feeling that you and he belonged to one another. Perhaps a relation of his?"
Halleth frowns. "As far as I know, my liege was the last of his line, that of the kings of Cardolan. His closest living relative would be Aragorn, son of Arathorn, the last of the Numenorean royal line--and I have met him recently and would recognize him if that was him in the dream." He thinks for a few minutes. "My liege died a violent death, after having suffered a great military defeat and seeing everything he worked for in his life come to naught. Could he have come back as one of the unquiet dead?" The thought fills Halleth with dread.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed May 30, 2018 4:57 am

Hartley produces the brooch to show to the elves. "It looks like something worn by the Rangers. I don't know why it was gifted to me. I was hoping one of the Dúnedain might be able to tell me what it is or who it belonged to and what a simple hobbit should do with such a thing."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Correction. Let's not forget Aravule had 2 brothers, Arphan and Arelan who were "lost" in Carn Dûm. His father, Arafel, was Halleth's Liege before Aravule. Both Aravule and Arafel died in Tharbad.

viewtopic.php?f=800&t=7733
The elven woman shakes her head, "I never met your liege, I can not say who it was. Do you know those mountains in the background? They appear to me to be the Hithaeglir, as you gaze east. Was this where Aravule was slain?" She considers, but there is a look on her face that shows he can only aid so much in these matters.

Hartley produces a Star of the Dunedain, similar to the one that Aravule gave to Halleth.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Did Halleth show us the Star of Dunedain / did we see it? Or was that done while we were not aware?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 31, 2018 2:17 pm

I would think you saw it, you traveled with him a long time afterwards, etc