Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:55 pm

"Going into old Ruins and coming out alive is a bit of a specialty ours," says Telurin with a smile. "You've come to the right people. And unlike the last two fruitless quests, if your dream is real, then our hope would be founded on a quest worth the risk and effort."

"But before I can agree to this, it must be brought before Elrond. For dreams can come from the Enemy, and Elrond may have insight into this. And even if he does not, I cannot go without his leave; in fact, I will not go without him expressly sending me, for I have spent too much time away from my duties here."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm

"Gandalf? THE Gandalf? I had no idea. Of course everyone in Bree knows of the grey wizard, but I have never had the privilege of meeting him. And to think I spoke with him and had no idea who he was. Well, he seemed to know me and now I feel a bit of a fool."

Hartley thinks for a moment.

"Well, I hope to meet him again sometime. I'll apologize for my ignorance. Oh, and certainly Halleth. I wouldn't think of letting you go on another adventure without me."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Halleth smiles at Hartley's surprise. "They say Gandalf knows all manner of things--some of it is probably just from the fact that he is a wanderer who talks to all manner of people. Some of it--well, wizards are an uncanny lot. But he's not full of himself--he probably doesn't care that you didn't know he was. If he had, he would have told you.

"As for that pin, I remember where I've seen it before now. It belonged to a Dunedain family that were cousins of Aravule's. They had a stronghold in the Coldfells of Rhudaur long ago along he western side of the Misty Mountains. Arafel, Aravule's father, tried to rebuild the fortress there and reclaim it as his own, but that came to naught. But that broach most likely came from there--and Gandalf surely had some reason for giving it to you. I think we should stop at those ruins on our way north."

Halleth frowns at Telurin's words and then says, "Alright, I'll go speak with Master Elrond--but I'm not going to make any promises to heed his advice." He looks at Telurin and adds, "But I understand he is your liege and you can't leave without his permission."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Council with Elrond

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:06 pm

To Elrond then.

It is several hours later before Lord Elrond is free to speak to you in the Hall of Fire. You retire there as told by his household. Food and drink is brought, and you speak of your time in the Last Homely House, of the weather, of dreams, of troll hunting, of things to pass the time.

When Elrond arrives your conversations come to an end. He moves with grace and purpose across the hall, a comment here or there to others present. Then he stops before you, flips the long sleeves of his robe outwards and takes a seat on a simple chair. "I am told you has questions for me Halleth of the Dunedain." He smiles a greeting to Telurin and Hartley as well.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Council with Elrond

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Halleth says, "Thank you, Lord Elrond. It was more Telurin who wanted to talk to you about this--I've pretty much already made up my mind to do this, even if you tell me it's a horrible idea and will get me killed. I feel it is my duty. I had ... a troubling dream. I spoke with one of the Galadhrim here, Thirien, who is apparently good at interpreting dreams. If we understand the dream rightly, at least one of my late liege Aravule's older brothers, Arphan and Arelan, is still alive and being held prisoner in or near Angmar. I plan to go and do my best to rescue them. Maybe I'm reading his intentions wrong, but it seems Gandalf thinks this expedition is worthwhile--he gave Hartley a star of the Dunedain." He nods at Hartley to show it. "It belonged to a Dunedain family that were cousins of Aravule's. They had a stronghold in the Coldfells of Rhudaur long ago along the western side of the Misty Mountains. Arafel tried to rebuild the fortress there and reclaim it as his own, but that came to naught. But that broach most likely came from there. So it seems like Gandalf wants us to go there--or at least Hartley and I can't imagine he meant the hobbit to go on his own. He's hardy and brave for a hobbit, but he's still a hobbit. Any advice you have for me on how to accomplish this mission is welcome, but I'm going whether you will it or not, even if I have to go alone."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Council with Elrond

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Telurin says nothing, waiting to hear Elrond's reply before asking more. He was glad to hear the softness of the speech, and determination in Halleth's mind.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Council with Elrond

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:11 pm

Hartley lays the brooch before Elrond for the elven lord to examine. "I will go with Halleth gladly if I can be of some use to him. But sir, if you can tell us what you think of this undertaking or give us some guidance, it would be quite useful sir."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Council with Elrond

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Lord Elrond listens, and takes the brooch, he inspects it turning it over in his hands slowly as if gazing deep into the history of the item. He nods to Halleth a few times to confirm things. "This brooch belongs to the family as you said Halleth, in fact it would have belonged to Aravule, or Arafel, or any of his line had it come to you now. Strange that Mithrandir would give it to Hartley, but I take that as a sign, and good tiding. If you would take my advice before you leave, because I know you will go with or without my blessing. I say follow the brooch first. It seems unlikely that anyone is still alive in Angmar, and if your dreams suggest that one of the line of Dunedain of Aravule's house is still strungling in the north then follow this." He holds out the brooch, "I have maps enough of the region, I can show you were to look. Start there, before you travel north to those cursed lands around Carn Dum." He looks to Telurin, "I release you from my service, your debts are paid, your service is at an end. Welcome will you be always in my house, as are all your kin. Go with your friends, and keep watch over them."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Council with Elrond

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Halleth thinks this over for a moment. "So, maybe it wasn't Aravule's brothers, but his cousins? Surviving under siege or something like that?" He nods and says, "I will start with ruined fortress in the Coldfells then."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Council with Elrond

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 pm

The fortress you saw in your dreams was clearly a human built tower, with the Misty Mountain to the East/behind it. That was what you learned from the Elf. So Carn Dum or Angmar doesn't seem accurate geographically. The tower in the dream, could very much be the holding related directly to the brooch Hartly has. All signs are pointing at the old holding Arafel tried to rebuild. The person could have been Aravule, a brother, or a father, maybe a cousin but naw. The familiar resemblance is striking either way.
Elrond looks at Halleth, "I would trust Thirien's words. She is far better at such things than I. Cousins, brothers, all are relations, and tied to one another. A tower in the Coldfells is far close than Carn Dum, and head never back to those dark places if you value your life. Rare are those that survive one trip there, foolish are those that think that they can survive there twice."