Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

Post by Wbweather » Sat May 12, 2018 4:52 am

Hartley ponders what the elves tell him about the Mithrandir fellow. Could he have really left the pack expecting a hobbit to know that it was a gift? Well, there should be no harm in taking a closer look at it and see if it was indeed some sort of a gift. He makes his way back to the room where the pack has been stored and after several minutes, opens it up and looks inside.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Haldir listens to Telurin's words and comments, "We will return...eventually. To tarry in the house of Elrond is a delight, even for those of us from Lothlorien. I had planned to go hunting with the Twins if such a thing was possible. I hear the olog in these parts are quit fearsome, and are always in need of culling."

"Of course, you will find Thírnen down near the water. She delights in such things, last I saw her she was there. Tell her Haldir has sent you, and she will aid you." Haldir smiles and turns back to Telurin. "Tell me again about the Numenorian on the Isle...."

Hartley returns to his room and after a time opens the pack, there are several things within. First is a new pipe, a finely carved one, with the mark of a pipe maker of the Shire. With it are two thick pouches of Old Toby leaf. Hartley almost looses track of himself at that point, but there is another thing there, an oil skin leather, wrapping something. So the hobbit pauses, then unwraps it.

There within is a tarnished, and half dented brooch, a silver star, much like the one that Aravule gave to Halleth! Unlike that one however, there is an additional device on the star, that of a chrysanthemum in the center. The star is cold to the touch, even more so than expected for the piece of silver, the right side is tarnished, and scorched as if burnt some how, but no amount of cleaning will remove the stain.
Image Star of the Dunedain
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Halleth says, "Thank you," and goes to look for Thírnen. When he finds her, he says, "Excuse me, but Loremaster Erestor and your own folk referred me to you. I've been having disturbing dreams, which they say you might be able to interpret for me."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon May 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Hartley decides that he needs to properly break in the new pipe. He loads up half a bowl of the Old Toby and gently smokes it down to a fine grey ash. Tapping it out he blows through the pipe to clean it of any debris and satisfied with the fine workmanship and the excellence of the leaf, puts it back in the pack. He then turns his attention to the brooch, wondering why Mithrandir would entrust such a thing to a hobbit. "I must take this to Halleth and see what he knows", he finally decides. He sets out to find the ranger with that intention.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Halleth leaves the porch and wanders the ground a bit, eventually finding a beautiful elven maid down near the banks of the river that circles around the northern side of the ground. He pauses, her beauty is hard to ignore, even for such a jaded man as he is. She is tall and hair, with golden hair. She wears near gossemer gown that clings to her in all the right places making her both alluring, yet modest some how. Her long hair flows just like the river she kneels before. Her hands run through it and she is singing a soft chant.
Thírnen of the Galadhrim
Something like this, don't over think it.

https://youtu.be/4hGpFbOE_fc
As Halleth nears and speaks her song fades, and she turns, but doesn't stand. She motions him over, tracing patterns in the water on the shore.

Hartley begins his search for Halleth.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Halleth settles nearby, wondering at her odd behavior. Perhaps she was a bit mad, but, at least among men, those who were touched were often those who saw things others did not. And who really understood elves? Halleth waits a bit for her to say something, but if she does not, he continues speaking. "So, the dream I had--it's about my liege, the last heir to the lost throne of Cardolan, who recently fell in battle." Halleth describes his relationship with Aravule and then his dream to Thírnen. He can't quite hide the fact that he feels a bit ill at ease around her, given her mysterious behavior, her beauty, and all the odd things he had heard about the Galadhrim.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm

"A troll hunt?" says Telurin. "I for one would be up for that! Let us see if the twins are eager for such sport. There is always the need to keep the road safe... that is one of my main duties, though it has been some time since Trolls approached, it is always a danger. Having you and other Galadhrim along would make the task far easier."

Telurin shares all of their tale of the Numenorian, their arduous work in Tharbad, and the ultimate failure. "It was doomed from the start, and though my heart knew it, I could not abandon Aravule. I had expected that we were going to help him find treasure enough to rebuild the fortunes of the Men of Arnor...not to actually try to rebuild!" he laughs, as much out of seeing their folly and finding it funny, as out of pity for the state of Kingdoms of Arnor.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 21, 2018 7:06 pm

** Halleth **

The Gladhrim listens to the tale told by Halleth, her hand in the water, and then motions him over. "Come Dunedain, sit with me, let me help you if I can. I sense great sadness and doubt in your heart." She motions for him to join her in the water's edge.

** Telurin **

Haldir welcome Telurin to join the Troll Hunt, but focuses on current matters. "Men are short lived, and short sighted. They can not be trusted, even these Dunedain bear a flaw in them too great to overcome. Perhaps they will stand the longest against the Shadow, but even they will fail."

** Hartley **

That's when Hartley arrives finding Telurin and Haldir on the porch. The young hobbit has with him a small satchel, and a smile on his face.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm

Halleth sits down near Thírnen, though he feels somewhat uneasy doing so, because of her uncanny behavior and beauty.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed May 23, 2018 2:18 am

"So what are you smiling about, Hartley?" asks Telurin. "I suppose you found something nice in whatever it was that the old man left?"