Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Book 3: Chapter 1 - Nightmares of Angmar

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 31, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks. I'd sort of forgotten about them, though Halleth would have assumed they were dead.
"The Misty Mountains?" says Halleth, puzzled. Then after a moment, he says, "I wonder if it could be ... My liege had two elder brothers, Arphan and Arelan. I had assumed they were dead after our disastrous expedition to take Carn Dum from the forces of the Enemy. But we never saw them die, they just went missing. But they could still live, prisoners somewhere in the Shadow's strongholds in the Misty Mountains. Could the dream by them calling to me for help, summoning me to rescue them? Can you tell where in the Misty Mountains it is you see? Is it in the north, somewhere in the Witch King's realm of old, Angmar?" As he speaks, hope enters his voice, though he tries to reign it in and not set himself up for disappointment.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 31, 2018 7:47 pm

"Does Elrond recognize the chrysanthemum here?" asks Telurin looking at the Star that Hartley shows them. "Do different Houses of the Dunedain have their own crest? What I mean is... who did this Star belong to? And how did Mithrandir come by it?"

"Ah! I know," says Telurin with a chuckle, "Congratulations, Hartley. I think this means you've been inducted to the Rangers, and are now one of the watchers and guards of Eriador!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Her fingers swirl in the water, "Northwards, the stars in the sky behind the peaks suggest the northern regions. Beyond that I could not say. Perhaps Lord Elrond would know more, these lands are known to him." She exhales deeply then rises from the river bank, the lower half of her gown drenched in the cool waters of the river. "I am no counselor Dunedain, nor one of the wise, but if you will hear my words I say this to you. Seek more than the meaning of this dream, seek its source, but do not go alone. There is both hope and malice behind it yea. Verily you are strong and brave but nothing good comes from isolation." She smiles to him, her eyes a bright as the evening star and they push away any dark mood her words might make. "Good day to you Halleth of the Dunedain."

Haldir replies to Telurin, "I cna answer some of that for you Teluin, yes, different houses have their different crests. This would likely be a royal house, the chrysanthemum is no simple flower, from the line of kings if I had to say. Lord Elrond would know more, perhaps you should take it to him and find out." He chuckles at Telurin's last words, "Some how I do not think that Mithrandir would be so cruel to Hartley as to make him one of those! Ha!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:10 pm

"Me a ranger? I'm no where near gruff and somber for that! And I like to talk too much", Hartley replies laughing. He looks at the brooch. "I do wonder why Mithrandir gave this to me. I do want to show Halleth though, then maybe we can take it to Elrond together if he doesn't know the significance."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Halleth rises and actually bows, something he almost never does, to Thírnen. "Thank you for your counsel. I'll try not to act rashly. And I have companions I believe will come with me, if I persuade them what I'm doing is not a complete fool's errand." He walked off to think a while on his own. He felt compelled to follow the call of the dream and try to rescue Arphan and Arelan if either one of them was alive. But, if they were being held prisoner in Angmar, he wasn't sure it wasn't a fool's errand, especially after the disaster that happened at Carn Dum. But perhaps a small group of infiltrators might succeed where an army had failed--they might succeed by stealth instead of force of arms.

After a long time in solitary thought, he seeks out Hartley and Telurin.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm

"No, he's not cruel enough to make you a Ranger, but that Old Man is known for sending poor Hobbits out their doors and far from comfort off into the wild blue. I wonder if this isn't one of those things now," adds Telurin.

As they finish their conversation and with the Elves, Telurin stands, "Yes, perhaps it's time we find Halleth, and go and speak with Elrond."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Haldir takes his leave, "I get the feeling you two better go find Halleth. I look forward to some troll hunting with you Telurin if time permits."

Time passes, how much is hard to say in Rivendell.

Eventually Telurin and Hartley find their way to Halleth who is found seeking them. You three bump into one another in one of the hall ways of the Last House.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:31 pm

"Halleth! Just the man I was looking for!" Hartley greets the ranger with a wave as he bounds across the hall to meet his companion. "It seems I have been given a gift that seems fit more for a ranger such as yourself. I am at a loss what it means or what I am to do with it. I was hoping that perhaps you would be able to explain it's significance to me."

He digs in his pocket for a few moments and then pulls out a wad of fabric. Unwrapping it exposes the brooch, which he holds out in his palm for Halleth to see.

"It seems that Mithrandir left this in my possession, although I cannot help but wonder if he meant it for you or one of your kin."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 pm

"Sorry, Halleth," says Telurin, "I think what Hartley meant to say, but cannot bring himself to yet, is that Mithrandir has recruited him to the Rangers, and he'd like your advice on how to start training. You see," he adds, "Hartley kept telling me that he isn't suspicious and gruff enough, and that he really looked up to you as a good teacher."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Halleth smiles at the joke, but doesn't really seem to be in the mood for humor. He takes the brooch and says in astonishment, "You say Mithrandir gave this to you? How peculiar ..." Then, more to himself than to the others, "I wonder if it is a sign." He looks down at Hartley and says, "You do know who Mithrandir is, don't you? Or have none of these elves bothered to tell you? You'd know him as Gandalf the Grey, the great wizard. I don't know why he's giving you one of the Dunedain's silver stars, but I imagine he has good reason."
Do I recognize this particular Silver Star? Roll Lore if necessary.
He pauses, then continues on uneasily, "Well, I have a guess at what it might mean. Perhaps you are meant to accompany me ... I have had troubling dreams. I have been speaking with Thirien, the elven lady who reads dreams. The most likely meaning of the dreams is that one or both of Aravule's older brothers, Arphan and Arelan, is still alive. We had assumed that they had died with they disappeared at Carn Dum, but, if I understand the meaning of my dreams, at least of them is still alive ... and being held prisoner in Angmar or somewhere near it. I'm going on expedition to rescue them. I was wondering if I could persuade you two to come with me. I will not be offended if you say no. Going into Angmar on the strength of a dream is no little thing. But I think we may be able to succeed where Arafel's expedition failed, since we will not be bringing in a large, visible army, but going in stealthily, as a small group."

After he finishes, he look at the other two anxiously.