Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Heddwyn the Witch-servant of Angmar

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Telurin turns and peers out the door behind them, watching and listening to see if they've been heard and more trouble is coming, or if things are quiet for now.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:20 pm

The battle was swift, and for the moment the hall back is silent, the hounds remain a sleep, but you aren't sure for how long. So Telurin closes the door nearly all the way, so he can peer out but also shut it at once if need arises.

Freach stand on guard, and Hwalda tends to Hugo, who is in terrible shape himself.

Eysslt moves to her father, pausing to place a hand on Halleth's shoulder, "thank you," she whispers as she kneels before her gasping father. The man is spitting up blood, and his breath is weak and ragged. There is little hope that he may even survive these wounds, and less so here in this terrible place.

Still mercy is a kindness, and for the moment a little kindness in this retched hole is an incredible thing. Father and daughter speak, in low tones, and while you try to not eavesdrop but its hard not to hear them. For a moment sharp words are exchanged, but that is soon over as Daughter speaks of disappointment, Father of regret, and there is a passing understanding shared between the too. In the light of Telurin's silver lamp you see a change come over Heddyn's eyes, the red rage fades and is washed away with tears; tears for his mistakes against his daughter and his people. He takes Essylt's hand with effort, for Halleth has bound him, but the Ranger never manages the gag not while Essylt speaks to him. "I... I have failed so greatly. My daughter, forgive me... I... I don't know how it came to this. Take this.... in the door behind me...." He produces a large iron key from his pocket that he fumbles onto the floor near Halleth's feet as he coughs of a mouth of blood. It is clear, even spared from Halleth's final blow, he will not last much longer. "Forgive me daughter."

Essylt leans over him, tears fall from her check to his as she presses her forehead against his. "I do father, I do." His body gives one last deathrattle then goes limp, and Heddyn the Witch-servant of Angmar expires.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:06 pm

Halleth slowly picks up the key and says, "I pray this last good deed he has done makes up for the evil he has done in the past and that his soul finds some peace." Halleth doesn't know how likely that is, but it might give some comfort to Essylt.

He looks over to Telurin and Hartley and asks, "Are we ready?" before cautiously opening the door.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:14 pm

Telurin nods to Halleth for sparing the man's life, though in the end his death could not be stopped.

"Where are the women and children being kept?" Telurin asks Heddyn's men. "We must bring them to safety. And what of the orcs here? Were they under Heddyn's command? Do they now pose a threat to us?"

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Hartley watches as Essylt and her father make peace before the man passes. He tries to comfort her. "My lady, he loved you, even at the last, and it saved him, and perhaps us. Now let us go and get these people of yours from this place of terror."

He looks at the others and his expression conveys the need to move with haste.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Prison Hall

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:48 pm

Hwalda calls to the company, "Your friend is in bad shape. Beyond my skill to help here in this dark place. He may not survive the trip out, and he can not walk nor run."

Freach steps forward, "Then I shall carry him. He is small, no more than a child, and I did not think his coming was wise, but I will not leave him if I can help." You see he glances at Essylt for approval, and she nods. With effort he hoist Hugo up, and the hobbit is secured to the Hill-man. Freach will be of no use save to transport Hugo like some porter.

Halleth moves to the door, with key in hand and he unlocks the great iron door behind a dark hall opens wide like a gaping mouth. You make your way along the twisting passage, and soon have lost sense of direction. A few locked or barred doors lead off from the main hall, but you can not open them. As you procede you hear noises ahead, cries of pain, cracking of whips, and the wailing of women. You come to a door way that is filled with a bright red fire light. Carefully you move forward and gaze into the great hall beyond.

This dreadful hall contains dozens of barred alcoves on multiple levels. An Orc-Chieftain and several guards watch the prisoners, who consist of unruly Goblins, Men and, of course, the Hill-men children you have come to save. Cruel instruments of torture and murder are placed in the centre of the hall.

Here before you stands your quest.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Prison Hall

Post by Muskrat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Halleth puts a finger to his lips to indicate everyone should be quiet, then draws his bow and gestures for the others to do the same. He then mimes attacking the orcs. He thinks an ambush is their best bet. He waits till everyone is ready before loosing an arrow at the orc chieftain.
So, since we're trying to ambush the orcs (assuming everyone thinks that's the best strategy), the first order of business is for everyone to roll Stealth--which for me is 3+2.

Then an Opening Volley with Bow 3.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Prison Hall

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:39 pm

"Hold a moment," Telurin says to Halleth. "If we begin a fight, who is to say that in the confusion and chaos there won't be children who are killed? We must draw as many of them out of this room before it begins."

"Now that their chieftain Heddwyn is dead . . . learning this will surely bring confusion and anger upon them. What if we call out that there are assassins in Heddwyn's room, then spring the ambush upon them in the halls, coming up behind them from a side passage?"

The Elf thinks through the situation some more; unfortunately the children would probably slow the party too much to try to escape without another battle.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Prison Hall

Post by Muskrat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Halleth pauses. "You're right enough about the children. But it looks to me that the guards are orcs and goblins--I don't know how much they care about the Hill-Men, even on their side. But we should try your trick."
@Vardaen, how many of the guards are orcs and goblins and how many are Hill Men?

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Prison Hall

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:55 am

"Yes, Hartley agrees, "If we can manage to get them to leave in groups we can perhaps thin their numbers before they realize what is going on. Perhaps too, we might be able to get the other prisoners to overthrow their masters if they see a chance for escape. That way we could gain some allies against the orcs."