Tharbad OOC Discussion

The OOC Forum for the Ruins of the North campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Tharbad OOC Discussion

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 3:56 pm

No, absolutely not. Your last post said the Ranger should be left alone, so Telurin dropped the idea of pursuing him. I also keep having Telurin bring up rallying support outside of town, but that there is a concern of what vengeance will happen while we are out, and making sure it is wise to leave right now. Did you (he) have another idea that we haven't yet moved forward or discussed?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 3:58 pm

My point is, Aravule said he didn't want to confront A. No mention of it, just continued planning on how to contront A. Similar thing was said about the merchants before hand, ignored.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 4:09 pm

You mean to go talk to the merchants after we got the money back, the suggestion for Hartley to get info from Findegil?

Do you suggest we leave go raise support now, or do you have a different idea?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 4:21 pm

I mean before that plot was even started. Aravule wanted to go seek support. I thought it was okay and relented, but his ideas were basically ignored and barely, if at all, commented upon or considered.

This time, Aravule's mention of not wanting to confront A right now and going to raise strength was completely ignored.

For a king, or wanna-be king, he sure does get much respect. The Rodney Dangerfield of ME.

Anyway, if this keeps up, I'm probably going to drop. I don't mind being disagreed with, but out-and-out being ignored doesn't make sense for the character to accept, and is frustrating OOCly.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 4:38 pm

I was all for going after support then. I think the only reason we went with this merchants thing is because we had a breadcrumb trail to follow there.

Sorry it wasn't clear that your idea then had support and ears.

If others are open to going to raise support, in spite of the risk, I'm certainly fine with it. My only qualm, as I said, was the risk. V doesn't have to be a mean LM, but what we've built up in Tharbad could be lost if we leave it all undefended. That being said... I would actually prefer a more traditional adventure to break up the city intrigues.

What do you guys think, Muskrat, WB, Boronind?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 12, 2016 4:41 pm

I don't mind being disagreed with ICly. Not a problem at all. My point is, it seems when Aravule says something, no one comments on it or even responds to it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 12, 2016 4:44 pm

FYI

The Letter
Dear Mr. Barkwell,

While your attempts at flattery in your last letter were so poorly written that I nearly threw the thing out before finishing it. Please refrain from further attempts at wit or flattery, you are not suited to it.

To the matter at hand. I have noticed your little operation. The percentage cut you sent along seems a bit low for the matter. I will over look it this time, but not in future payments. I expect 40% of your profits from the merchants or I will send my own men to replace you and yours. Your eagerness to please, ambition, and unfailing ability to prove your own vices does entertain me. For now.

I expect your next payment to be left at the drop site as we discussed in 10 days time. I also expect you to report on any local activity in the area of a mutual sort as well. Be wary, I have heard rumors there is a Ranger of the North in town, and he could stir up trouble for you.

- A
(Its dated four days ago)

That means the drop is in 6 days.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks V.

Well, I will do better to make sure Aravule knows he is heard.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 12, 2016 6:18 pm

Sorry. I certainly wasn't intentionally ignoring you Tet or IC Aravule's suggestions. For me at least, it's more a matter of reading through a lot of posts and some of the suggestions getting lost in the shuffle when I respond. Though as I look at our most recent conversation, your last post just says we shouldn't bother the "other" ranger mentioned in the letter (which I strongly suspect is actually a reference to Aravule, who seems to believe the same) and then remains silent. Anyway, what are your initial ideas for raising strength? Inside the city? Among the Dunlendings? And if we ignore A for now, what do we do it he comes knocking on our door with a small army?

Part of the gap may also be that we're so used to games where the PCs are all equal, so we're not used to deferring to another PC. And I'm not sure any of the other PCs besides Halleth would feel an obligation to defer to Aravule--and even Halleth sees Aravule as a younger man in need of advice, as well as his liege.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu May 12, 2016 7:13 pm

I agree. I did not think anyone was ignoring Aravule. I'm all for taking the group out to look for support, but thought we were trying to wrap up loose ends here first. I don't think any of the characters have any real reason to defer to Aravule, other than out of respect. He may view himself as the rightful king, but at this point he is just another ranger as far as Hartley is concerned. Still though, Hartley is trying to oblige him.

I have always thought the best approach is to go head to head with the man on the Island. We still don't know who he is or what might he wields. We have been in Tharbad nearly 9 months and are no closer to an answer than the day we arrived. If anything, I'm shocked that he hasn't come after us already.

I personally would like to know who we are up against before we raise an army to fight him. That said, OOC I would prefer a more traditional game with journeys, encounters, and combat. I mostly just want to see things progressing, no matter what direction they move in.