Rant Room (OOC)

The OOC for the Starknight Academy game
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Rant Room (OOC)

Post by TetNak » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:38 am

AdamDaBomb11 wrote:I was toying with a cool idea of a Construct hero with Construct minions (They detach from his body leaving him with less armor/resistance but more offensive abilities) Also give minor metal control with the regeneration power so he can essential heal himself if metal sources are around him.ick with them

I didn't make him though because I already created the Galeine race and figured I should just stick with them haha

That is a super cool idea
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:46 am

Another idea i've had was a grotesque monster from a planet of darkness, he has the ability to absorb light and control darkness, so he is able to always hide in a dark cloud. Striking out when someone gets close.

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:37 am

I like the Legionnaire idea, but I wanted to keep it simple so I'll stay away from the minions. The metal control for healing seems nice, but it starts to get too complicated. I'll just stay with a brick hero.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:30 am

If brunotr went the way of an android, they already have them spec'd out in the Sci-fi Companion sourcebook:

• Construct (+8 ): Artificial beings add +2 to recover from being Shaken, don't breathe, ignore one level of wound modifiers, and are immune to poison and disease. Constructs cannot heal naturally. To heal one requires the Repair skill—which is used like the Healing skill only with no “Golden Hour.”
• Dependency (–2): The being must recharge via strong electricity at least one hour out of every 24. Failure to do so results in Fatigue each day that can lead to Incapacitation. Each level is recovered with an hour of recharging.
• Mods (+1): Constructs may not use cyberware, but they may purchase Modifications from the Robot Modifications Table. Like all robots, they have 5 Mod slots. (The Geared Up Edge might help you afford these upgrades.) GMs should not normally allow characters to take Increase Size beyond +3 or the hero will no longer fit into most adventures. Constructs may remove or install a Mod with a Repair roll and 1d3 hours (half that with a raise). A critical failure means the Mod is destroyed and must be replaced.
• Outsider Hindrance (Major, –2): Organic species often treat constructs as property rather than sentient beings. They have no rights in many systems, and suffer –2 Charisma when dealing with beings who know their artificial nature (and aren't constructs themselves).
• Vow Hindrance (Major, –2): Constructs are programmed with a particular purpose. Player character constructs have broad directives such as serving a particular corporation or political faction. This counts as a Major Vow to that particular directive which must be followed. If this ever causes a conflict of interest, the player and GM must figure out what the construct's programming requires.
• Environmental Weakness (Electricity, –1): Artificial beings suffer +4 additional damage from electrical attacks, and have a –4 penalty to resist other electrical effects.

I'm thinking Android (2), Armor (1), Size (2) as the 5 Mod slots but it would cost 20k credits to purchase. That's 2 Geared Up Edges right there.

I wonder if they have some kind of an addendum for Construct Super Heroes, transferring PP into currency/Mods?
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:07 am

Actually now that I think of it. My character resembles an alien tony stark sort of, so whoever uses a construct body would be able to get repaired by my character which would leave them free to purchase other skills.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:12 am

Call for minor help!

The question is, what do you think the Hindrance: Not Being Able to Reproduce Through Normal Means be worth?

I am trying to come up with a new race of aliens that are pretty much "grown" through the process of straining genetics and purifying them, THEN implanting them into a chosen host via a rather complex in vitro process. I found some Roman setting that had:

Eunuch (Minor)
Your hero has been castrated or rendered infertile. Although you are immune to seduction, you also suffer a -2 penalty when attempting Persuasion using sex appeal.

Would that sound about right to you, minus the immunity to seduction part of course? No Hindrance should grant one a benefit IMO. The race is called the Zentratti and could possibly be the very same race brunotr's character could be part of, either normal version or android form.
The Zentratti are genetically recombined guys and gals that resemble the pointy-eared version of Black Adam's/Prince Namor's musclar athletic form and Darkseid's glowing eyes and prominently ridged if not blocky features. They're part of the Galactic Council's main army (alongside the Andrillians of course) and serve as the starting race that comes to give your guys their "Golden Ticket" into Starknight Academy.

I say the race itself as being pretty much bred through selective and artificial means of impregnation procedures that strain the approved matched pairs genetics for any defects and combines the materials into selective classes of product; i.e. worker class, combat class, diplomats, etc. Pretty much a "Hey we want to get married, lets get approved and see what type of child we would have and if it is even worth it, etc." type of scenario.

I am also creating the race as it might serve to be the very race which brunotr is from; some kind of an android tribute to those individuals that the Zentratti and/or Galactic Council have deemed to be worthy enough of living on forever. They would harvest the Zentratti's genetic material to formulate a match to breed another batch of potentially "great" offspring, and then download the individual's personality into an android frame; thereby allowing the exemplary "paragon" of their race to live on forever.

Kind of a Logan's Run award for being so awesome type thing if that makes any sense.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:47 pm

Maybe a minor mania hindrance? Other races who know about the Ventratti might be a bit weirded out when around them. That is a tough one to pinpoint the right hindrance.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:54 pm

I think the main thing I was looking for was severity of impact game-wise and mechanic-wise. A Minor Hindrance at best seems fitting overall, I just need to see how such a thing would actually "hinder" them in the game. Sure you can't make babies like a normal species and would eventually die out over time; but until then could wreak total havoc on a solar system, etc. A penalty to Charisma wouldn't seem appropriate because to be perfectly honest, other than someone telling you "Hey they can't reproduce!" and it actually bugging you - I wouldn't see such a call for such a thing.

I might chalk it up to some kind of a Dependency Hindrance, not only for their means of reproduction but some kind of daily supplement of vitamins and nutrients to keep them performing at optimal efficiency, etc.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:10 am

From my standpoint, it doesn't rise to the level of even a minor hindrance. I can't see it ever being an issue in game. It's really just a bit of flavor for the race.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:44 am

Too true Trogdor. I was pretty deep into the flavor of the race rather than mechanics. Got all hyped up thinking I made something new, then was reminded about Macross and Robotech, they had the Zentradi race of giants, also genetically modified LOL. Probably saw an episode when I was a kid and the name/idea stuck with me on a subconscious level.