Prelude: Vows

The Northern Kingdoms, Nilfgaard, the unexplored east, and the great seas of the west ... Peace was fleeting and the world was falling into despair. Kings fought wars, sorcerers dabbled in arcane powers, and witchers killed monsters for coin. Borders changed, but the hearts of men never would.

The Witcher is a RPG based on the Witcher novels, short stories, and video games. The Witcher RPG is run with the Savage Worlds system.

Run by TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Prelude: Vows

Post by TetNak » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:28 pm

I think Muskrat is on vacation
The dinner finally ends and Queen Amarna's mind is made. She will find her cousin who is also in Verden. Baron Danylo comments, "Why not set out after a good meal in the morning, my queen." Reluctantly, she agrees, departing for the baron's manse. There's an agreement that Cullik and she will meet the following day to depart.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Yes, I'm on vacation. I'm back on-line now, but still traveling, so my posting is likely to be slow and irregular.
"Thank you for that honor, your majesty," says Amarna to King Kristin. She wonders if the honor is for her protection or to give the king a way a keep an eye on her and keep her in line. Most likely both. She can live with that.

Over breakfast, she says to Cullik, "Well, you surely already know my tale. Would you tell me something of yours? If we are to be traveling companions, it would be good if we knew a bit about each other." Amaran is genuinely curious, but also wants to begin evaluating this bodyguard Kristin has assigned her.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 am

The new day is not kind to Cullik. His senses reel and his body aches. Most assuredly the dwarf had drunken and eaten entirely too much the night before but if so, the fact he did surely doesn't show now. Once more the grizzled veteran ponders, "You'll never know when it's yer last, so wise up and dig in!" Upon Queen Amaran's request, Cullik shudders momentarily then nearly slams his silverware down upon the table. "Not much to tell," he responds gruffly, the presumed reeling sensation subsiding, "I'm a dwarf who kills for money."

Cullik then continues.

"Don't get me wrong lass, uhm yer highness, I do my job well; but I don't reckon that it's anything special. We dwarves do everything well ya see, it's just part of our nature."

Cullik chuckles heartily as he remembers something once said to him.

"We're artists ya see. Or that's what was somebody once told me. Dead now mind you, but still. Artists all the same."

Sighing heavily, Cullik pauses before rambling further.

"Goddam artists!!!"

"As to the Baron? Bah, I met him some years back. Saved his arse from the Nordlings I did, though he'd probably debate just the opposite. Still though, we've been mates ever since; well as best mates as one can be with a human who looks down upon you from up above. The arrangement's simple, just the way I like it. I keep his coffers drained and his wrinkled arse safe and he gives me all the mead and steel I need to see another day of keeping him safe and taking his coin. This bit with the King however, is still rather new to me and taking some getting used to."

Cullik suddenly slaps the palm of his hand down heavily upon the table top, laughing hearilty.

"I reckon you could say that I'm a one man dwarf!"

"Still though, if the King says I hafta protect ya, then I guess I will. After all, the Baron's still paying me as is the King so yer gonna be worth twice as much to me alive and that's a good thing in my book, Hah! Besides, not much threat to ya here inside Verden; lest the Nilf's spies have plans on getting a hold of ya. That or you and any of your relatives didn't get along before all this shyte went down. Either way, you'd probably be royally fooked without a proper bodyguard and that's why they chose me to guard ya!"

Cullik peers up to gauge the fallen Queen's reaction, commenting.

"You going to eat that yer highness? Believe I still got a bit of room in me gullet afore we head down and out to wherever the blazing hell it is that you need to go."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:26 pm

Amarna has been eating calmly the whole time Cullik has been speaking. She might like a little more respect, but his abrasive manner does not bother her--she has spent much of her adult life as a wandering mercenary and is used to people with Cullik's manners.

She says, "Well, you are certainly honest and that's a good trait in a bodyguard. If you think I'm in danger, I don't want any pussy-footing around, but to hear it straight out. As to how much danger we'll be in--like enough, Verden is safe enough and King Kristin has assigned you to me as a sign of honor. It's also possible his majesty has some knowledge or suspicion of danger he has chosen not to share." She shrugs. "In addition to being an exiled queen, I've been a wandering mercenary for a number of year. It will be good to have someone at my back, but don't mistake me for a delicate flower--I can handle myself. And we both have killed for money--so we have that in common."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:49 pm

The night passes and the morning comes. Breakfast is served to the dwarf and queen at Danylo's table. Danylo is seated there, eating the red fruit of the coast with a grim expression on his face. "Welcome," he says, as he did every morning, waving for both to take a seat. "How was your rest?" he asks, plopping a piece of fruit into his mouth. "I have your horse and pony ready," he mentions off hand, "As well as a mule for your provisions."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:11 am

Shrugging indifferently, Cullik plops down into his seat and reaches for a small handful of grapes. Once in hand, he promptly tosses several of the tiny purple orbs into his mouth, nodding a response to Baron Danylo's greeting. "Morning..." the nod insinuates. As the Baron speaks, Cullik makes note of the man's rather grim expression. In time, the dwarf combines an answer with an inquiry of his own. "Are you sure that you can spare them? You look troubled..."
Cullik ignores Baron Danylo's query on sleeping and what not. He feels the comments are directed towards his more important guest, Former Queen Amarna.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:39 pm

"Well, Baron Danylo, this may be the last morning we breakfast together for some time," says Amarna. "Let me take this opportunity to express my thanks for hosting me. Perhaps I will return here some day, but if not, I will remember fondly my time here with a host who respected my rank as queen, even if one without a kingdom. And if there is anything I can ever do to return the favor, please let me know--whether I have regained my throne or continue as a wandering mercenary, I will gladly repay the generosity you have shown me."

A puzzled look passes over her face, as Cullik tells the baron that he seems troubled, but she studies the man when he replies.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:12 pm

The Baron takes a deep breath, "Thank you, your grace," he says, "The Black Ones will never take our hearts, even though they might take our lands." Danylo looks over to the dwarf, "I am just sad to see the queen depart, plus it is a dangerous place. Just as everywhere, Verden's roads are not particularly safe.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Amarna shrugs. "I am used to danger," she says. And it will be somewhat of a relief after all this sitting around, she thinks to herself. She does honestly appreciate Danylo's hosting her, but she is also eager to do something. When they are finished breakfast, she says to Cullik, "Well, shall we be on our way?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Danylo nods and eats along with the dwarf and queen. When they are ready to depart he will see them to the stables where his guard is waiting with supplies for Amarna's journey.