Exordium: A Conclave of Personages

“Welcome to the shining star of the Colonies, the Second City, honorable samurai! May your stay be as interesting and profitable as you desire! I strongly recommend that you do not venture outside the city until you have had an opportunity to receive some rudimentary training with the Second City Guardsmen, however.” – Shinjo Hariken, Vassal of the Miya
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Exordium: A Conclave of Personages

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:09 pm

With Naseru approach and apparently quite formal Utaku Yukiko decides to act the same. She stumbles to a halt a few feet in front of him and bows deeply to the Phoenix shugenja as it would be proper to one of the rare magical arts. But even trying her very best at perfect etiquette, she's still a Battle Maiden used to wearing armor, not long sweeping silk, the evidence in the inch of the long sleeves that touches the ground as she bows.

"Domo arrigato, Shiba Naseru," the samurai-ko replies her voice softer than her usual tone. "I hope you and your family had and will have a bright day ahead of you. May the Jade Dragon shine upon your fruitful endeavors and the Obsidian Dragon your most peaceful of nights."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:28 pm

The shugenja recovers his bow, comfortable in the formal atmosphere. Surrounded by family and attendants, and especially out in the open public, proper decorum is a must. It is the strange paradox of samurai life, where intimacy can only be expressed away from the public eye. "I likewise thank you for your well-wishings. This is a most auspicious day, for both of us. Whatever happens with the Matchmaker will determine the course of our lives, and have far-reaching effects on our family and Clan." He allows a small smile to start forming on his face. "But, you know, no pressure."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:36 pm

"There is no pressure if you know yourself and who you face," the Battle Maiden replies with a sweeping motion of her arm. While she can understand that Naseru may be far comfortable in a formal situation, she is not. With a nod of her head she continues. "Why I do value the insight of the Crane it'd be unfortunate if this one meeting would change the course of our lives so much as if it were not to have happened," she adds. However, samurai are those who serve and too often their fate is not in their own hands. Resignation has creeped in Yukiko's voice when she speaks again. "We all do what we must, that's true. I pray for Benten to bless your union, Shiba-san."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:52 pm

As the pair speak things down the road seem to be happening.

An argument breaks out, just within earshot of the group. Its hard to make out the exact words but the shouting and commotion draws the attention of many. So moving to investigate, at least a little, the pair (and those with them outside) move down the road.

There you see three hiemin and an overturned cart. Spilled out in the road are dozens of fresh plums just scattered about the road now. Standing over them is a Crane samurai, perhaps one of the local guards by his light armor and long yari he carries. You catch the conversation as its happening.

The Crane shouts at the heimin farmers, "...fools! Look what you did! I told you not to go this way a hundred times. How many more times must I tell you? Maybe this time Tofu I'll take your stock and whip you for it!"

Two of the men just keep their heads down, scampering around trying to collect the spilled pears and put them back in the two wheeled cart they were pulling. However Tofu stands up, he looks the Crane right in the eyes and almost snarls, "I will take my cart down any road I want! This is the way to the market, so this is the way I'll go. If you just stayed out of the way Samurai, then it wouldn't have spilled!"

There is a dead silence in the air now...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Shiba Naseru gathers with the rest, staying close to his dear friend. He stops goodly distance away, not wishing to intrude yet. These are Crane lands, and the shugenja would not wish to shame the yari-wielding bushi by interfering in the lawful execution of his duties. For another Clan to step in right now would be like saying the Crane are too incompetent to police their own lands, which could lead to a duel. Although at this rate, if the heimin continues to speak back like that, he may not get the chance to get arrested by the magistrates. The Crane does not appear to be in a forgiving or understanding mood.

Just in case things do get out of hand, the shugenja casually reaches into his satchel for a scroll and pulls it out. The Phoenix are proponents of peace and order, and if things turn ugly for the Crane he is there to help.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Yukiko joins the curious mass to see what has happened. She does not shy away to shoulder her way to a spot where she can lay her eyes on the scene. Outside of her boots and armor she instantly feels like she was a head shorter than she'd be with that too. And she tries not to even think of her being on the back of Tempest but fails miserably. After days of not being able to ride with the wind she longs for the strong beast beneath her. Without so much as a word, she watches the encounter between Crane and heimin. As the latter replies defiantly she cannot help but smile a little at what's happening as the samurai has been forced to act, especially in front of all the gathering people and as far as she can tell it'd be no surprise if the heimin named Tofu would see the Sun set tonight.

Trained muscle memory makes the Unicorn lay her off hand on the hilt of a sword she is not carrying today and for a moment she curses her current garb. "Crane-san!" Yukiko calls out as she has no indication to which family he belongs. Maybe she can keep the upcoming wedding free from any bloodshed as small and irrelevant as some samurai would think. "What has happened?" She asks although it is quite obvious. "Is anything wrong with the road Tofu should've taken?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:04 pm

"You insolent worm!" The Crane samurai reaches out and backhands he farmer with his armored fist sending the man sprawling on the road. He lands with a crash and his head slams into the road knocking him silly. The other two push their heads further into the road hoping to avoid the Crane's wrath.

As the guard steps up, his yari actually coming up a bit as if he might think to use it on the hiemin Yukiko has the audacity to interrupt. The samurai pauses, he turns to regard the gathered crowd, as if now just noticing everyone. "What has happened is this peasant has been told time and time again that this road is for samurai come to the district for fashion needs. It is not a by way for transporting his fruits and vegetables to the market. Heimin are to use the other roads, and he knows it." He steps forward and kicks the downed man in the ribs, "Then he dared to stand up to me. None of this however is your business Unicorn-san. I apologize if its interrupted your business in this district. Please accept my apology for the disruption. It won't happen again."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Yukiko listens to the Crane and his punishment of the heimin. "Well, let us not make more of a scene with this scene," she replies, stepping closer to the two men but still staying a yard or so away. She looks the the kicked man on the ground. There is no malice or tone of disapproval in her voice as she speaks. "Gather your things and be gone, Tofu." She then looks back at the Crane. "My name is Utaku Yukiko," she adds with a bow. "I am aware it is hard to see at the moment for the mon of my family is on this fine kimono. Your tailors are quite the skilled people. May I have the honor to know who I've met today, Crane-san?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:00 pm

The Crane samurai doesn't show his distaste for the Unicorn sticking her nose into his job, the insult that he can't do it isn't lost on him; he is a Crane after all and even their most martially minded samurai have courtly training. He does however not mention anything, not now at least.

"I am Daidoji Jintaro, a pleasure to meet you Unicorn-san. If you don't mind however, I'm going to finish with these peasants. Please, have a good day and enjoy your time among our tailors." He barks at the men on the ground, "Get up, get this clean up, and go. I ever see you again here, and you will not get off so easily."

The heimin scuttle around cleaning up their mess. Naseru, watching, and with a keen eye can see that Tofu still has disdain and distaste in his eyes, as do the others. There is clearly more tension between the castes here than just this one spilled cart.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:10 pm

"I will, thank you, Daidoji-san," Yukiko replies with a nod of her head. She retreats to the rest of the crowd and to Naseru. To her it was enough to avoid any heimin blood being spilled when it wasn't necessary. At least as far as she was concerned it was good enough to make sure nothing much worse than spilled wares were covering the ground.