Second Ring - The Overland Route

“Welcome to the shining star of the Colonies, the Second City, honorable samurai! May your stay be as interesting and profitable as you desire! I strongly recommend that you do not venture outside the city until you have had an opportunity to receive some rudimentary training with the Second City Guardsmen, however.” – Shinjo Hariken, Vassal of the Miya
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Temple of Aranyani and Guru Gopti

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:22 pm

The Phoenix nods along, understanding both the impulses of the gurus, finding a kindred spirit. Should his own Clan undergo such a catastrophe, many would choose to search out any surviving Libraries, or hidden repositories of lore that might be scattered across the land. Many others would see it as their duty to continue being the Spiritual watchmen of the Empire, unable to abandon their charges, no matter what might be lost. "Complicated. Both are honorable choices, to preserve priceless knowledge that might benefit future generations, or continue guiding the people now." He shakes his head in sorrow, that such a choice even had to be made.

"Has there been any word from those that sought out the temples of Vishnu? Or have they disappeared into the jungle, never to be heard from again?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:36 pm

Gopti thinks and speaks softly, "I do not know what has become of them or where they have gone exactly, or even if any of them are still alive. I know the locations of several of my order's ancient temples, located in the jungle to the west, including a great temple of Vishnu, I would guess that would be a good place to look for them if we so desired"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 am

Shiba Naseru nods. "That would be useful. I don't know if I can go there immediately, as I must meet up with other Rokugani with my same Mission in the Second City. But it will definitely be on our list of leads to follow-up on. If the others Gurus still live, they might have more information on how to defeat Chonitsu."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Gopti nods, "They will of course, but they will not tell strangers, you could one of the Raksaha's agents, or the Raksaha himself in disguise. You will not find our temples without help." He folds his arms, thinks a moment. "I must join you. I can teach you our ways, the ways of the Sainika Fighter, so you may defeat Chonitsu when we learn what we can from my brethren at the temples, if we can find them."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 pm

The samurai's eyebrows shoot up in surprise. He does his best to maintain his composure, rather than barking out a laugh or making a light joke. It takes him a few moments to collect a response. "... that was unexpected. I had not thought to team up in such a direct fashion, although I admit that the idea intrigues me. You have the knowledge of the region, the history of the conflict, and specialized information on how to combat this daemon. And on the other hand, myself and my fiance have connections with the larger Empire, and might be able to bring greater resources to bear. Your plan has great merit."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Gopti nods, "Not to mention, you can speak none of my language, even if you found my Order you'd not be able to speak to them to learn their secrets." He stands and looks around breathing in a deep breath, "The Jungle is Happy at this union, together we are stronger than apart, and The Raksaha thrive on dividing people. Speaking of such, what of your other companions? Should we find them and unite to become stronger yet?"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:48 am

The scholar looks a bit humbled, then clears his throat. "Yes, communication would be an issue. Right, hadn't thought of that eventuality. Not everyone here speaks the language of the Empire." He sighs, then looks to the south. "Yes, my companions came by sea, while I obviously came by land. We were supposed to rally at the Second City. Unless something befell them, they should have already come ashore some time ago. My fiance and I are ready to head there, whenever you are ready as well."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Ten Days on the Road: Near to Twin Folks City

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Gopti nods, "We will find your companions. If they blunder into Chonitsu unprepared they will die. It would not be wise." He then turns and speaks a prayer in his own language to the statue, then leads you on your way out of this general area.

He explains you will venture south along the great road, perhaps your companions will be found in one of the many waystations or villages along the road before they get to the Second City. You will be forced to double back, perhaps a few times, but it is wiser than going directly and leaving them to their fate.

So for the next week you travel the road, stopping at each waystation, seeking Akodo Satsuro and Kitsuki Tomasu and Kuni Ginrei. It is not a glorious trip, but you are able to speak with Gopti about the land and the history of his people and more and more you come to understand the terrible fate of his people, they have all nearly been wiped out of existence. To think, if 90% of the population of Rokugan just vanished nearly over night what toll that would take on the survivors? It is unspeakable.

After even more days you near the last waystation before you reach Twin Fork's City, from there you will have to decide if you should head to the Second City or keep searching the road and villages for your fellow Yorikki. You arrive late in the evening, a large merchant caravan has taken up much of the waystation's outer area, but you find a small inn with room still, and you settle in for the evening with dinner and rooms. You will check for them in the morning, but have little hope of finding them before you set out once more.
Alright, so pushing us a bit. Yes you are in the same waystation village as the other thread! Wooo

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 am

Shiba Naseru relaxes in the Inn after a long day's walk. He envies the other yorikki on being able to catch a boat across the continent, although what they have done since is a mystery. He makes offerings to the Fortunes on their behalf, invoking the name of Bishamon to strengthen their resolve, and guide their path.

Gopti has been a fascinating travel companion, and he rather wishes he could have him back at one of the Isawa Libraries, with scribes to record all his knowledge for posterity. The Invida might be a dying people, and whether or not one valued their culture, their knowledge of fighting the Rakshasa is invaluable. Assuming it is true lore, and not just tall tales.
Woo indeed! Also, have you heard from Hayabusa lately at all? I haven't seen anything beyond that post a couple weeks back saying he'd been really struggling as of late, but was trying to get active again.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Unfortunately no. I assume he's done, he says he's not each time we contact him, but I've seen this before. He's lost to us I think its safe to assume.
Yukiko rides, she's not as tired at the others, and enjoys the travel atop Arashi more than she should. At times along the road she scouts ahead then rides back, leaving Naseru to learn more from Gopti than she does. Most it makes little sense to her any how.

Here at the inn she stables her horse and is gone out back at the stables for a long time grooming and tending to it. That leaves Gopti and Naseru to sit and talk more.
We can chit chat with Gopti but I hope the other thread joins up real soon