Gates of the Second City: Random Chatter

The OOC Forums for the Second City game.
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Gates of the Second City: Random Chatter

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Or he could be on a Musha Shugyo! Not a true Ronin, but a Clan samurai on his warrior's journey. That's always an interesting angle.

Unless there's a big reason not to, back to the Crab! ;) I've thoroughly enjoyed playing the Phoenix shugenja, but my roots call to me!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 pm

I only have a vague sense of Rokugan's history, but going back to the roots of the setting sounds good. I'll need to look through the options in the rule book and think on what I want to play. Probably another bushi of some sort to keep things simple.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 pm

Musha Shugyo works too.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm

ManWithDoor wrote:Or he could be on a Musha Shugyo! Not a true Ronin, but a Clan samurai on his warrior's journey. That's always an interesting angle.

Unless there's a big reason not to, back to the Crab! ;) I've thoroughly enjoyed playing the Phoenix shugenja, but my roots call to me!
Vardaen wrote:Musha Shugyo works too.
That's actually what I had in mind, or at least some variation of it, I just couldn't recall the specific term for it until you both mentioned it. I even have an inkling of a backstory to cover the reason behind embarking on such a journey, though it'll probably be revised/refined depending on how the main story is set up.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:15 pm

@Hermit - https://l5r.fandom.com/wiki/Musha_Shugyo

The L5R Fandom website is crazy useful in getting information on all sorts of topics.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:29 am

I'm familiar with that site, though it's been quite a while since I've really read anything L5R related. I used to own the 4th Edition core rulebook and a number of sourcebooks, though either I've misplaced them during some spring cleaning or the more regrettably likely possibility is that I sold them off at a Half-Price bookstore in anticipation of 5th's (at the time) incoming release.

I may eventually get around to reacquiring the 4E books when time and opportunity permits, but in the meantime if anyone's got PDF's of 4th Edition material to share, I'd be most grateful.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 pm

I can send you a pdf or two
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Vardaen wrote:I can send you a pdf or two
That would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Feel free to send/share whatever you've got when you get the chance.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 pm

I think I've got a bunch as well. Share via Google Drive best for you?

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 pm

ManWithDoor wrote:I think I've got a bunch as well. Share via Google Drive best for you?
More or less. As of this moment I have the Core Rulebook, Emerald Empire, and The Great Clans courtesy of Vardaen. The Elemental Books (Book of Water, Earth, Air, etc.) and Sword and Fan would be welcome additions, as well as anything that covers the subject of ronin lifestyles and the like. I mean ultimately I think I'll end up wanting the whole ensemble of books, but for now I want to try and pace myself and not get overwhelmed by the multitude of options presented in a vast library.