Book 1 - The Longest Night

More than a thousand years ago, the land that is now called the Iron Kingdoms was western Immoren, a mire of warring human city-states. Strong leaders would come and go, but in the chaotic realm then known as the “Thousand Cities” no one could carve out a kingdom for long. Then came the Orgoth, an evil imperial race from beyond the sea that would change the face of western Immoren forever. The way was cleared for the Iron Kingdoms to arise.

Moderator: Scout89

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:41 am

The Witchfire Trilogy book 1 - The Longest Night Image
So, new to Cygnar, are ye? I'll give ye the five-copper tour. The Kingdom is about two hundred leagues from east to west, and about three hundred leagues from north to south. We've three major rivers, one inland sea and scores of lakes. The capital is Caspia, far to the south, where the Black River empties into the Gulf of Cygnar.

The Kingdom was founded about 400 years ago, at the end of the Orgoth Empire. As ye know, the Orgoth raiders conquered this land a thousand years ago, and ruled it with an iron fist. It was only after hundreds of years of brutal rebellion that the inhabitants of this continent defeated the invaders.Born in this conflict was what we today call the Iron Kingdoms - of which Cygnar is the shining star.

Cygnar's last ruler was King Vinter Raelthorne IV - a cruel, evil man. After almost two decades of his rule, his younger brother Leto led the coup that removed him from power. Unfortunately, with the help of those still loyal to him, Raelthorne the Elder managed to escape the palace before his execution. He is rumored to be plotting his revenge to this day, but no one has seen hide nor hair of him or his black-hearted lieutenants.

I wouldn't worry about Raelthorne the Elder, though - he hasn't a chance of regaining the throne. His brother Leto is a fine king and an honorable man. Under his rule the Kingdom has became a much safer place. So long as ye stay in the cities or on the major trade routes, nary a soul will bother ye. The King's patrols are a common site, and they do a fine job at keeping the peace, though they are ofter heavy-handed. Don't cross them, my friend, or there'll be a warrant out on ye before ye know it.

The King has also started building roads to support more trade, though there are years of work still to be done - and plenty of taxes to be collected, I'll wager. Taxmen are almost as commonly seen as guard patrols, but at least they finance the mighty steamjacks there are carving the roads out of the living rock.

Lesser Cygnar, as the south is called, are home to rocky hills and lush forests. The moors of Greater Cygnar, to the north are dotted in swamps and marshes. It's here, where the Black River and the Dragon's Tongue diverge that you'll find the city of Corvis.
Act I The Caravan You have been hired by the Merchant’s Guild in Fellig to guard a caravan on the treacherous way to Corvis. The journey takes more than two weeks, and passes through rocky mountain passes, dense forest and swampy lowlands. For your services you are to be paid 25 gold crowns each at the end of your journey.

After chasing the rising sun for many days, the ordeal is near an end - Corvis is only half a day’s ride away through Widower’s Wood. The trip has been without incident so far.

“Easy money, aye?” shouts Gunner Wadock, the caravan’s leader, from his position on the front wagon. “If only all my trips ‘twixt Fellig and Corvis were so painless.”

The caravan consists of four wagons, with four pack horses bringing up the rear. Gunner sits atop the lead wagon with his driver, a sour, quiet human called Viggo. The other four wagons each have one driver. The pack horses are tied to the last wagon.

Dale is at the second wagon sitting next to its driver. The third wagon has Sylveris, while Denemere is in the fourth with Doc and a driver. Boruk walks by the last wagon. He's too big to go on a wagon and no horse would be able to carry him. He's very tired and can't wait to get some rest in Corvis.
Boruk is close to being Fatigued from the hard walk here. But not yet!
A.K.A. Tvrod.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:07 am

Dale sits on the second wagon with his pistol in one hand and a cleaning cloth in the other. Most of his attention is on the surrounding area. He knows what it is like to rob these merchant trains, but it is odd being on the other side of things. It's a change for the better and something that has to be done to break himself from all the trouble he had caused throughout his life. Regardless, he knows the tactics that are often used to steal from merchant caravans. Dale inspects his pistol for a moment and then tucks both his pistol and cloth away into his overcoat.

Running from his left eyebrow, across his eye and down to his left cheek is a large and very noticeable scar. It seems to have been caused by some sort of high temperature burn.

AdmiralSnackbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AdmiralSnackbar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:22 am

A faint jingle could be heard from the inside of the fourth caravan. Glass upon glass, vials of tonics, miracle potions and who knows what else shaking as the wagon made its way down the path. The trunk containing these elixirs was old and worn, the paint on the front peeling from years of wear and travel, but the sign was still legible: Dr. Gobberstein's Miracle Elixirs.

The small goblin man scowls as the caravan leader shouts his words of so-called encouragement to the rest of the party, "Perhaps the man should hold his congratulations until we arrive safely. One never knows what lies ahead."

souffle girl
Level 1
Level 1
User Class: Arcanist

Post by souffle girl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:54 am

Syveris peeks out of the third wagon, bow in hand, and checks the status of the caravan, them shifts her eyes to the treeline, trying to spot any sign of an incoming attack.
Her tall and impossibly slender frame clearly marks her as inhuman, and she's wearing a cloak over her leather armor.

"Don't tempt fate, Wadock. I'd wait until we're safely inside the city walls before letting our guard down."

She stares for a moment at the visibly tired Ogrun.

"How are you holding up, Boruk?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:51 pm

"Morrow has protected us, and guided us. Yet some on this trip continue to refuse to show proper homage to him. It will catch up with you in the end." Seated there on wagon three is Denemere Heartshorne, a devote militant Cleric of Morrow. His scale armor is well polished and clinks with every bounce of the wagon. On his hip is his blade, while his helm rests on the floor near his feet. Slung over the side of the wagon his shield proudly displaying the holy sigil of the church of Morrow. Anyone who's on this ride knows the man's faith guides his life, and he's vocal about it, perhaps a bit too vocal for some. A few heated conversations between him and Boruk about the Fathers and Morrow have likely taken place.

Hearing all the jiggling of the vials he asks Doc Gobberstein, for about the twentieth time, "Are you sure those are all safe Doc?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

AdmiralSnackbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AdmiralSnackbar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:58 pm

"You wound me Denemere! My tonics are quite stable and you know it! If they were not I believe you would and I both would know by now... And a sizable distance with its inhabitants around us," only a touch of sarcasm can be heard in the Goblins voice, enough to slightly assure the cleric and also keep him on edge.

"If that is not enough then perhaps a little more prayer to Morrow would help ease your mind. Or perhaps you'd like me to mix you a little something to calm your nerves?" The large and devious smile tells any and all that whatever might be concocted there would abolition be side effects.

Estralita
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Estralita » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Boruk really was feeling the fatigue, but he knew he could keep going without needing a break. In any case, he wasn't going to ask for one. "Don't you worry, Syveris! The Great Fathers grant impressive endurance to their children."

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:39 pm

The people in the second wagon can hear Viggo mumble something to Gunner and he promptly voices the man's concern. "Oi, ye be on the lookout now. We'll be entering Widower's Woods in a bit. And try to quiet too. We don't want to attract bandits."
A.K.A. Tvrod.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:41 pm

"Being quiet matters not." Dale says without removing his attention from their surroundings. "If there are Bandits, then they already know we are coming."

Dale pulls out his pistol once more, making sure it is properly loaded.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:04 pm

Denemere holds a hand up to the gobber, "No thank you! I'll do just fine with a bit of meditation." He starts to look around at the woods and hearing the chatter from the other wagon he grows silent. "Silent meditation I think. We should be on our guard now." He lays his crossbow on his lap and double checks his bolt case to make sure he's ready if bandits do dare attack the caravan.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring