Book 1 - The Longest Night

More than a thousand years ago, the land that is now called the Iron Kingdoms was western Immoren, a mire of warring human city-states. Strong leaders would come and go, but in the chaotic realm then known as the “Thousand Cities” no one could carve out a kingdom for long. Then came the Orgoth, an evil imperial race from beyond the sea that would change the face of western Immoren forever. The way was cleared for the Iron Kingdoms to arise.

Moderator: Scout89

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 1 - Act 1: Investigating the Grave Robberies

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Moving into the private chamber Denemere takes a seat. He folds his hands over his lap as he sits in one of the chairs, his gear placed nearly by the door. "Father Dumas we have some disturbing news. The bodies, the dead, they are all those who once sat on the jury of the Witch Trial for which your family was part of. We know your niece's parents were part of it, your sibling. Tell me you some how hadn't figured that out Father? Please explain that to me, because things are not looking too good for you or your niece at this point."
Sense Motive as we go.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Father Dumas' face pales as his chin drops. It is clear you got him by surprise. "What?! Father Denemere this is a very serious accusation. One serious enough to be considered a personal offense. Morrow knows I would never do such thing. And your doubt in my piety is a deep stab in my soul." He stands up, visibly chocked. He walks around for a few moments and then says, "Yes, I remember the trial, but I never came near it. My niece was only seven and her mother was about to be executed. As her only kin, my wife had to keep her away from the trial whiled I begged Morrow before that very altar out there for a just trial. We kept her here while they sentenced her, so I never knew who the jurors were. Neither did Alexia. And your information is wrong. Lexaria was my wife's sister, not mine. I never knew she dabbled with witchcraft. If that ever came to my knowledge, I myself would turn her in if she denied turning her back to the dark arts. I was surprised when her sister told me she was arrested for that. Lyria never forgave me for not interfeering in the trial. No, Father Denemere, your leads took you in the wrong direction. I would never do such a thing. And even if I did, why would I employ you to find out I'm guilty?"
Sense Motive checks results are going by PM.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Denemere nods, "I am sorry to have had to say it so to your Father Dumas, but I had to judge your reaction and your sincerity. I had hoped you had nothing to do with any of this and it seems Morrow has seen to it that my hopes are true." He stands up and puts a hand on Dumas' shoulder, "Sit, we will need to know what you know about the jurors, the trial, and your sister-in-law's surviving family. Someone *IS* stealing the corpses of those that sent the witches to burn. We can only guess who or why at this time."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Scout89 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Father Dumas sits. "Lexaria's only family were Lyria and Alexia. And the women accused of witchcraft were beheaded. Do you suspect my niece might be the one responsible? It can't be! She is just a teenager. And not a very strong one. She would not have the strength to break the lids."
A.K.A. Tvrod.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Dale nods his head. "He seems to be telling the truth. We have the what and possible ly the why, but now we need the who. Who else would have a quarrel with the jurors of the witch trial?" He taps a finger to his lips while he thinks.
Edit: minor mix up with the sense notice check, he is telling g the truth (from what Dale can tell)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:30 pm

"I do not know, I would hope not Dumas, but we should speak to her any how. She might know something, or someone might have approached her about this and she could know something. Remember, she doesn't have to break the lids herself, if she had help."

He looks at his companions for their input and looks up at Dale with a knowing nod about Dumas sending them out there to investigate himself.

"I will have to pray to Morrow for guidance on all of this."

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Scout89 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:41 pm

"I guess you should talk to her then. My feelings might get in the way of your investigation so I better not be there while you interrogate her. Come, she should be in her room." Father Dumas stands up and takes you to the next bedroom. He knocks gently, "Alexia, dear. Can we come in?" After a few seconds of silence he knocks again and then tries to open it. Locked. "Strange. She never locks her room."
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Estralita
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Estralita » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Boruk stepped forwars and knocked loudly."Miss Alexia? We would like to have a word with you." As he knocked, he considered the strength of the door, attempting to judge how hard it would be to knock it down.
Any roll I need to make to determine that?

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Scout89 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:17 am

Still no response. "This is not something she'd do. Please, brother!" Father Dumas moves away from the door. His weight alone would break that fragile wooden door, so Boruk has little trouble opening it.
The bedroom is very disturbed. Clothes on the floor, drawers pulled all the way out, boxes turned to the side. And over the bed a simple sheet of paper with words written hastly: "Sorry, uncle!" You can't help but notice the open window beyond the bed.
"Oh, no! For the gods, no! Why, Alexia? What have you done?" Father Dumas is crying as he picks up the paper. He looks at you desperate for a moment.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Denemere has faith in Dumas, but not his niece, as the group breaks into her room he starts to search about, and then reaches down between bed and end table. There is draws up a black leather bound book, red letters on it in a language he doesn't read. "And what have we here?" He holds it up for everyone to see.