Prelude: A Guest of the Woods

In Keltia, you are one of the heroes of the Dark Ages in the time of Arthur, when Britain was still a land of legends. Take part in the great battles sung of by the bards. Travel from the court of kings to the boundaries of the Island of Beli the Great, perhaps even enter the mists of the Otherworld. Maybe you will witness the end of the time of legends and the arrival in history of the greatest hero of Britain that will ever be: Arthur Pendragon.

You may be a clan warrior, a druid, a bard or a mage. Myrddin the Elder may guide you to search for the forgotten gods, hidden treasures and conspiracies to foil, taking you to the darkest forests, the mists of enchanted isles and haunted cairns. The bards will sing of your feats for centuries to come.

Run by GM TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:50 pm

The woman shrugs, dropping the piece of bird onto the plate and sitting it next to Berwyn alongside the clay cup. "Nice to be fed," she says, "Women feed men, is an honor for your lips to touch my fingers." Sighing, she stands again, stretching a bit by leaning back, to the side, etc. "Your prince, yes? Ransom." She taps a pouch of coin on her belt, "More silver need." The woman jerks a thumb at her chest, "Bearnoch, princess, Angle, no Saxon. No enemy."

Although Berwyn hadn't studied much about the invaders, he knew there were several tribes that had come. They were the Saxons, the largest of the tribes, the Jutes, and the Angles. Berwyn wasn't sure, but he was not away of any Angles his far north, it could mean something was happening between the tribes who, as far as he knew, were moreorless allied in their conquest of the isle.
Intellect + Knowledge (Saxons)
4d10 + 0 = 26 vs. 14, Success
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Learning that the woman, Bearnoch, is an Angle and not a Saxon catches Berwyn off guard for a moment. The Angles were not enemies of his clan, and yet they were invaders like the Saxons. From what he knew of them, they were allied with the Saxons and same from the same area of the European mainland. He looked at her closely, she was beautiful, there was no denying that. She had also taken him hostage against his will and planned to ransom him to his clan. That did not lend him to trust her.

He did grab the cup of water and downed it in a single gulp, parched lips and throat instantly being relieved by the liquid. Then he grabbed the meat from the plate. He intended to eat slowly and deliberately, but as soon as he tasted the food, he began to devour the remainder ravenously. This embarrassed him since he thought she might take it as a sign of weakness.

"Thank you", he said. once he had finished the meal. "I don't know your peoples' customs, but generally one does not take captive those who are not one's enemies. If not my enemy, then perhaps you an let me go. I'm afraid if it is gold you hope to get for my ransom, you will be disappointed. Some may call me a prince, but not all kings are wealthy, especially when their land has been taken from them by force. What makes you think my father has any more wealth than yours, princess?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:58 pm

Bearnoch's eyes narrow as she hears what Berwyn says and translates it slowly. She pours another cup of water for the prince while she thinks of a response. It is clear she's struggling with his language. "Ransom," she repeats, tapping her pouch again. "I do not know, right word, maybe." She sits down again next to the prince and rubs her chin. She suddenly nods to herself and then reaches to her pouch and pulls it from her belt. Bearnoch then places it into Berwyn's hand. "Ransom," she says again, then pokes Berwyn in the chest, and then pokes herself in the chest. "Ransom."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:33 pm

The young man looks puzzled by Bearnoch's words and more so by her actions. Ransom? What did she mean by ransom? Certainly not...

He blushed suddenly at the thought of what she might be proposing. Of course marriage was often used to foster alliances between two clans, but never with the invaders. That was unheard of. Could she be suggesting that?

"Dowry? Do you mean dowry instead of ransom? Are you suggesting I take you as a wife?" As he says the words he is even more embarrassed, especially as she seems so at ease in contrast to his confusion.

He wished now that he had his brother's way with women, they generally just made him feel awkward. Now that he had replied he was second guessing himself. Certainly she would think him a fool, but then again why should he even care. He was beginning to wish that he was still just dealing with 12 brutish men.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:16 pm

"Dow-ry," she repeats, slowly, then again, "Dowry, wife, yes. Clan pay. You, father, or brothers." She smiles, "You look nice," Bearnoch concludes, "Better than old man. More babies." She waves over a man how produces a rusty key for the shackles, or at least Berwyn assumes. "You no run now?"

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:03 am

"No run, but we need to talk." He says, holding out his arms so that she can remove the shackles.

This was a situation in which Berwyn was completely in over his head. He needed to get away and yet he no longer seemed to be in any immediate danger. He wanted to get information from this woman which he could take back to his father. If the Angles had moved this far north and were looking for allies against the Saxons, then that could be very good news for the Corieltauvi. Who knew if the Angles could be trusted. Here was some supposed princess offering him a bag of coins to wed him. If he outright refused, would he be chained back up? At least he could talk and get more information about her people and their intentions. Could he even consider taking this woman as a wife? Eus ap Eus had never married and this was not something he had ever considered he would need to deal with at his age. Still, he found himself attracted to Bearnoch. She had a aura of nobility about her and looked as if she could hold her own in a fight. She was not difficult to look at either.

"Explain yourself. You wish to be my wife? Why? Do you have no men among the Angles to marry? Do you seek allies against the Saxons?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:24 am

"Talk, yes," Bearnoch immediately reaches over and inserts the key and turns. The clasps around Berwyn's wrists come free, giving him complete freedom of his arms. She does not look as interested in unlocking his ankles, though, perhaps it is that she does not trust him.

"Father wish. I wish. Eighteen summers, ready to wed. Ready to have children. Baby." She points at her stomach. "Yes, Saxons bad, kill my brother." Bearnoch bites her lip, looking angry and sad at the same time. "Kill Saxons. Celts and Angles kill them together."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:11 am

"I am Berwyn ap Eus. My father does not know where I am. If I do not return soon, he will think the Saxons have taken me. You look like a Saxon to us. My father might attack you if he thinks you have harmed me. This would not help forming an alliance."

He gives her time to translate, hoping she understands.

"Take this back," he says handing back her pouch of coins. First we must speak to my father. Would your father be willing to meet on neutral ground?"

Berwyn tries to be non-commital, but to not deny her request outright either. He still is chained up and until he is free, he is Bearnoch's captive.

"You come with me to talk with my father?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:23 am

"Ber-wyn," she repeats, smiling. "Berwyn make good husband?" the Angle princess asks. "Like girls? Some men prefer men. Some women like women. no matter, so long as seed takes." She shrugs and reaches down and uncuffs Berwyn's ankles and pulls the chains free. "Talk to father, yes, I go with you." She extends her arm down to Berwyn to help him stand. It is unclear if she truly has understood everything Berwyn said.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:19 am

"Of course I like girls...er, women. I haven't had much time for that sort of thing though, I am a fighter in my father's teulu. I am 16 years old. We should go to my father, he will know best about joining with your people to fight the Saxon."

He rubs his ankles where the shackles have chaffed the skin.

"Do Angle women always take men captive when they seek a husband? Why not just speak with the leaders of the clan if you wish to make an alliance? I thought the Saxons and Angles were allies? Are they no longer working together?"

He is anxious to leave now that he is freed from his bonds. He hopes that the men will stay behind. He doesn't wish to bring a group of armed men to his father. Perhaps this is all a ruse to ambush his father. He is now wondering if there might be some way to avoid leading them to Hyllr in case they have ill intent.

"We should go. Will you come alone? Where is your father, by the way?"