Out of character forum for Keltia.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

General OOC

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:56 am

I'm curious as to what the sensible cap is when extending cast duration in a situation such as this. Rules state already:

+3 per additional time unit i.e. 1 action to 2 actions, 1 round to 2 rounds

+10 per additional time category i.e. 1 action to 1 round, 1 round to 1 minute, 1 minute to 1 hour, 1 hour to 1 day, etc.

If you did a straight up bump from 1 combat round (roughly 6 seconds tops) to 1 minute you'd gain +10 but what would you figure the max bonus for bumping it up via time units?

I mean 1 combat round to 4 combat rounds (24 seconds of time roughly) already yields a +9 bonus to casting (+3 x3 additional units). Is it cheesy to say um...spend 9 combat rounds (54 seconds so not technically a full minute) to yield a +24 bonus (+3 x8 additional time units)?

It seems a bit unbalanced IMO. Rhedyn could theoretically gain +24 to her roll (easily alleviating the -6 feat penalty and -5 unfamiliarity penalty with a huge bonus still leftover)

Assuming of course, she had a full minute to prepare herself prior to casting that is.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

General OOC

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:44 pm

I tend to say you can't boost your roll, because there is no negative of losing actions.

Either that or it auto succeeds.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: General OOC

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Not sure why you say they can't boost the roll, it's in the basic rules.

I myself would say no more increases than one's Tenacity. It's supposed to represent one's strength of spirit and/or willpower and makes the most sense to me, i.e. you can only summon up enough strength to focus your mental efforts before giving out or reaching its maximum.

That way a TEN 3 character could bump their 1 combat round spell to an extended preparation time of either 4 combat rounds (+9) or from 6 seconds (assuming 1 round = 6 seconds) to 6 days maximum (+30) before giving out from exertion.

I only mentioned all of this as it would be helpful to come up with some guidelines to each of our games. I think I'll probably use this one for Yggdrasill.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:34 am

The thing is, Fear is the only spell I would normally use it combat. Charm and the Mirror of the Water aren't spells you would normally use in combat. And you let me a get a bonus on using Charm on Bearnoch earlier when I increased the casting time. I think it makes sense that when you have time to adequately prepare to casting and aren't under stress from combat, you would get a boost in your casting. And keep in mind that, for Mirror of the Water, at a normal casting time of one combat round, I already have a -6 penalty to my roll, since it's a level two spell. The penalty of -3 per spell level on casting makes me think that the writers assumed that in non-combat situations, you would take your time casting. So, with a -5 penalty, that's a total of -11. To have a good chance of succeeding, I'd need to extend the casting time.

That said, as Eanwulf says, the bonus system seems wonky. It looks like it makes more sense rules-wise to add on additional combat rounds, but less than a minute's worth, than to increase the time to a minute, because the former would give me more bonuses. Which seems like an oversight in the rules design.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm waiting for a resolution of this discussion before I post IC.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:20 am

Ok.

I don't see how this can work.

Rhedyn could do the following.

Bump from 1 Combat to 1 Minute = + 10, 1 Minute to 1 Hour +20, then 1 Hour to 2 Hours +23, and so on.

That seems way too easy.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41 am

I think what it ends up doing is making magic powerful outside of combat when you have plenty of time, but not so reliable in combat or when you are rushed. Perhaps that was the intent of the game designers.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:40 pm

So, Tet, what are there in the way of survivors from our tribe? Any men? Or is it all women and children?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Almost all women and children. The men were all killed back at the village.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:20 pm

Amlaib has his work cut out if the clan is going to produce another generation.