Prologue: Ill Omen

Yggdrasill, the role-playing game, allows you to play through exciting adventures in a detailed and fascinating setting, and to become a hero in legendary Scandia, the land of the “three kingdoms” of Denmark, Norway, and Svithjod (modern-day Sweden). Intrigues, combats, quests, magic, and mythical creatures await you!

In Her Dark Majesty you will become part of a powerful group of unsung heroes who are sent to rid the world of a powerful evil that has once more reared its ugly head. Through the course of your adventures you will partake in an epic tale that is most assuredly design to mimic the classic prose of the Poetic Edda and Beowulf itself.

You can be a mercenary or hirdman, berserker or noble, soothsayer or sorcerer, Fate will guide you along the frozen shores of the fjords, cross deep seas on perilous expeditions and into monster-haunted forests. The skalds will sing of your exploits for centuries to come!

Moderator: Eanwulf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Prologue: Ill Omen

Post by TetNak » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:58 pm

"Let us show patience, brother," Sylvi encourages Skulmdall. "For now." She wanted to get off the boat as much as her brother, but she was not going to go into a fit over the whole ordeal. The shield maiden rises to her feet and stretcher her back. It had been a long enough voyage where she felt cramped and sore. It would be good to get 'dirt under her feet', as her brother put it. Sylvi reaches over and hoists her shield and straps it onto her back while grabbing her spear at the ready. She looks at the others that she barely knew, wondering if they all felt the same eagerness to get moving.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:14 pm

Ulfr stands as the ship makes dock. Like Skulmdall, he would like to have his feet on land. However, he schools himself to be patient and wait--he has nor desire to accidentally start a battle with those they were sent as emissaries to. Instead, he studies what he can see through the thick fog, assessing what he can.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Thorgrod leans close to his son as the boat comes to rest against the shore. "I know you scarecly need my advice, but watch these men. I know not yet who we can trust."

He gathers up his belongings and steps first from the boat onto the shore. "Friends, we have long been spotted. Hiding in a boat gains us nothing. Let us procede toward the village and see who is there to greet us. "

He glances at Eyvindr and beckons him to follow.

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Eyvindr nods his head. He follows his father onto the shore, while carefully watching for any signs of a threat.
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:59 am

Hegil frowns at the group's impatience, though does little to stop them from leaving his ship. "It is only proper..." proclaims the wary sea-captain in protest as he continues to cling unto the charm about his neck and watch those whom wish to do so, leave his ship. "It is only proper."

Thorgrod and his son disembark Helgi's Pride and upon their departure, several of the nearby huts slowly creak open their doors and reveal the wary faces of their occupants inside. In time, a small mob of Herava's townsfolk shambles out from their hovels and is formed. The mob carefully approaches the docked vessel and what appears to be the headman of the group slowly approaches the boat with a lamp held up in front of him.

"Alo?" the headman inquires, the lamp in his hand shaking slightly "Is dat you Helig? Have you brought us som visitors?" It is clear to see that the townsfolk are panicked and despite their need for heroes, are greatly concerned for their well-being.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:45 am

Thorgrod sees the men and women assembling. He thinks that the best approach is to confront them openly. He is not one given to subtlety and believes the direct route generally is the best. The long cold ride has not inclined him to wait patiently. If no one else will take the lead, then he decides he will. After all, as the eldest among the group of heroes and the one most experienced in treating with different folk, he is the most natural choice to take on the role of leadership. At least that is how he sees the situation.

"Good folk of Hereva," he calls out to the assembling mob, "There is no need for fear. We come by request of jarl Yngvar to lend aid in your time of need. We are weary from a long journey and seek only an audience with the jarl."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:33 am

Stepping off the boat with her brother, Sylvi looks over at the villagers that have come to greet them. It was no heroes welcome, certainly, but who could expect much in these times. The woman holds her spear at her side, watching as Thorgrod addresses them. She had barely exchanged two words with many of the others sent on this quest. The shield maiden knew that was a mistake and chose to rectify that once they were on their way. They would likely need to work together to defeat whatever evil had befallen the world. Either way, she was happy to let Thorgrod speak in their stead for the time being.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:40 pm

The townsfolk look towards Thorgrod, their panicked faces now overcome by the expression of a skeptic awe. Hearing the noble speak, they quickly begin to whisper and converse among themselves; pointing to the man and his traveling companions in interval as they do so.

It is Helgi's response that ultimately breaks the people's chatter, the old portly man's words chosen carefully and spoken nervously, though filled with a sincerity that somehow seems to fill the mob with reassurance. "Aye Dagr, it is I, Helgi. And I have brought you the champions that Jarl Yngvar and his uncle Our King have requested. I bid you 'alo and request your permission to dock my vessel here in Kerava."

The headman's face looks to be relieved and his mob now nod their heads approvingly and smile feebly at the heroes in front of them. In time, they spread themselves out and give the group room enough to exit Helgi's Pride and step forth upon the docks of Kerava. They do so however, with quite the desperate look upon their faces; as if they were about to touch those disembarking the longboat in some kind of method of confirming their existence further.

Tis truly accursed times here in the Lands of Song.

"Yes, yes!" proclaims the headman in a zealous tone "You have our permission to dock! Let the heroes gather their belongings and exit your boat at once. I shall have my crew here aid you in whatever needs to be attended to."

The man then proceeds to set his lamp down atop one of the dock piers and waves his hands about in an authoritative manner. "You lot look alive! We've guests to attend to, and I'll not have you all standing about gawking at the newcomers like frightened children! Get to work!"

Smiling at Thorgrod, the headman continues to speak. "Good evening to you m'lord. I am Dagr Danrsson, Jarl Yngvar's Dock-warden. I bid you a fond 'alo and want to welcome you to the city of Kerava. Lord Yngvar and ourselves have been awaiting your arrival for some time now. Please, allow me to fetch your belongings and tend to whatever needs you might have prior to meeting our beloved jarl himself."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Thorgrod nods at the dock-warden. "Thank you, Dagr is it? Just having my feet on solid ground after such a long journey is a relief. It appears that the report of ill tidings was not over-stated judging by the blood red sky and the demeanor of your people. Times like these call for men to unite and take a stand against a common evil. We will do what we can in service of your jarl. Perhaps someone could take us to him. We could use a warm fire and a full belly and then we will be ready to take on this task, whatever it may entail."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Dagr smiles in strained admiration. He then speaks. "On behalf of us commoners here in Kerava, I thank ye for such kind and reassuring words. Tis truly an accursed time we live in as of late and heroes such as yourselves are in much demand. I pray to the gods that the nornir have already woven you a tale of epic proportion to share with our kinsmen!" The crowd surrounding Dagr are quick to chime in with the resounding cries of "Aye!" and "Huzzah!"

As you disembark Helgi's Pride, the redness of the sky slowly dissipates above. Within minutes, it resumes the normalcy of its regular pulsating colors. The entire affair is an eerie one, and highly taxing to the emotions. In time, you find yourself off the longboat and awaiting further instruction by the headman and his companions.
We shall be moving on to a new thread. It is the merger of Olligarchy's and your own.

HERE IS THE LINK