Prologue: A Not So Warm Welcome

Yggdrasill, the role-playing game, allows you to play through exciting adventures in a detailed and fascinating setting, and to become a hero in legendary Scandia, the land of the “three kingdoms” of Denmark, Norway, and Svithjod (modern-day Sweden). Intrigues, combats, quests, magic, and mythical creatures await you!

In Her Dark Majesty you will become part of a powerful group of unsung heroes who are sent to rid the world of a powerful evil that has once more reared its ugly head. Through the course of your adventures you will partake in an epic tale that is most assuredly design to mimic the classic prose of the Poetic Edda and Beowulf itself.

You can be a mercenary or hirdman, berserker or noble, soothsayer or sorcerer, Fate will guide you along the frozen shores of the fjords, cross deep seas on perilous expeditions and into monster-haunted forests. The skalds will sing of your exploits for centuries to come!

Moderator: Eanwulf

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Prologue: A Not So Warm Welcome

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:22 am

"Who will guide the heroes on their task then?" Skulmdall asks loudly, as he usually does. "It is no task for a faint-hearted man or woman I wager. Thinking that what happened to your last band of saviors."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:22 am

Skulmdall's question causes the nobles to momentarily become dumbfounded and look at one another as if seeking instruction. It is Jarl Yngvar's motion that finally spurs the elder Siri into speaking.

"Your words hold truth warrior. It is with the fate of our first group in mind that we have chosen to send an additional guide with you this time around."

A sense of tensed curiosity washes over the two younger wise-women and the thrall Kæder. For a time, even Lord Yngvar appears to be a bit confused.

"It has already been discussed that Kæder will be the one to guide you to the Valley of Sleeping Jarls. His knowledge of our lands is vast and he is somewhat of a hunter by nature. Such skills shall aid your group immensely in reaching the destination unhindered."

Kæder's stomach suddenly knots as he starts to suspect Siri's next comment. He's already suspected the jarl and Siri of showing a strong desire to send one of Siri's granddaughters to accompany the group as well and now it would seem that their decision is about to become apparent. With thoughts of Freyir's previous encounter in Kæder's mind, Siri continues.

"I must speak with our jarl briefly after taking our leave from your presence, but feel that it is also necessary to state that your group shall be accompanied by the additional presence of my granddaughter Annehi."

Kæder's stomach knots even tighter as Freyir bites her lip with bridled emotion.

"She has had a recent vision which plagues her even now. Such insight is not to be ignored in my mind and I can not help but feel that her presence will be most helpful."

Freyir looks to her sister and then to Kæder. She looks to be disappointed. Siri continues.

"In the vision Annehi was with your group and sensed a great evil before it had the time to rear its ugly head. As such, she prevented the deaths of three of you. It only makes sense to me that she be sent along to prove this vision true."

Jarl Yngvar looks concerned but relents to Siri's judgement. Annehi looks embarrassed but hopeful.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:55 am

Remaining composed, but softly cursing the gods of the wind and his ancestors, Kæder looks to Siri as she seems to lock down the plans without even considering the Jarl. He did not truly wish ill upon Annehi, but he'd made a pact with Freyir... no matter how... pleasant it may have been, and fully intended to keep to it. He was uncertain if he could truly convince the Jarl and the elder Volva, for his tongue was heavy and meant for other things, but he'd at least try.

"If I may speak out of turn, Great Jarl?" Kæder asks Yngvar politely, even possibly unnecessarily due to his status, but he rarely worked his tongue thus and it was difficult for him to interject himself into a conversation without the Jarl's leave. Once permission was given, he turned to Annehi and Siri.

"I would not wish to bar thine will Lady Volva, but are you certain this is the wisest recourse offered to us? Annehi may indeed have many great gifts" He does not smile... he rarely did, but gives Annehi a small nod as he looks into her eyes to let her know he held no grudge or disrespect towards her,"But wilderness survival I dare say is not one of them."

"Indeed, I'd argue if she is indeed receiving visions and portents of the future, she may well be too important to be brought along; especially as her visions have already given us fair warning and cause for more alert than we'd have held afore now. It may well be better for her to stay and master her gift of prophecy to better your clan, Jarl Yngvar" Kæder looks to the Jarl for a moment,"For I too sense foul winds in the distance... winds of a more human nature, and with Annehi here to advice you of those portents many lives may indeed be saved."

Falling silent, Kæder looks between the two... Volva and Jarl, waiting for their reaction. He chose not to press for Freyir's involvement... yet, but she was the obvious candidate if Annehi was deemed too important to travel.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm

"I would not want any of my companions fall," Skumdall says. He looks over the women to spot Annehi again before turning back to the jarl. "Fear not. Skulmdall's presence will make sure no harm comes to her. That's my promise as the Sea Reaver Prince!"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10
Title: Subculture of One
User Class: Scum

Post by Aegor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:07 pm

"We need someone to point us to the enemy, that is it! From that, we can do well by ourselves" Kolgrim says matter-of-factually.
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:48 pm

"I am certain that we each will do our part. I for one am happy to have any able bodied man or woman who can wield a weapon by my side. May Tyr grant us his favor."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Ulfr says, "Kaedr, have you been to the Valley of the Sleeping Jarls before? What can you tell us of the lay of the land there--and on the journey? I hate to cast an even greater clod of gloom over things, but it is not outside the realm of possibility that whoever or whatever is behind this evil will try to stop us on the way--and one of us may fall even before we reach the Valley. If you were to fall, it would be best that we know what you know." Even as he speaks, Ulf makes the sign of Thor's hammer, seeking to avert evil.

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:51 pm

"I mean do disrespect, my lady," says Eyvindr, nodding slightly to Annehi. "But if it is indeed true that you have no skills in surviving in the wilderness, it is likely that you will be a hindrance on the way. However, considering your vision, and the wisdom of your grandmother," here, Eyvindr bows his head slightly towards Siri, "it may be worth the risk. I for one will do my utmost to keep you safe if you come."
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 pm

"Ulfr is right," Sylvi speaks up and shouts. "Tell us what you know, Kaedr." She was already not found of the thrall's attitude when he was sent to greet them. It looked as though she would have to at least be civil, for unlike her brother, she attempted to let calm guide her actions and not the other way around.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:21 am

Woot! I've been sick this past week but am back to pretty much fully-operational status!. The past two days felt so good! I managed to eat three square meals a day and keep them down for once! I'm quite happy!

Now to get things moving again...

Seeing how it's Halloween and I rolled particularly crappy -actually rather well for your characters - let's do something spooky!
The party's concern seems to spark a strong response from those gathered within the jarl's halls...

++ Kæder ++
Siri frowns heavily. She looks over towards Kæder's direction and almost appears as if she was about to explode into a violent tantrum. Her words however are chosen carefully and spoken sternly. "There is no debating the fact that my granddaughter is the one to go with you. Her presence in the group has already been foreseen by not only myself, but Annehi herself. She is no stranger to our lands and is both small enough and clever enough to avoid a pursuer if need be. I shall discuss matters more with our jarl as to why she is so desperately needed and I trust that he shall see the wisdom of my logic."

Jarl Yngvar responds to Siri's comment with a hint of concerned skepticism, though he ultimately nods to the old woman and already seems to support her decision. Meanwhile, Annehi trembles slightly, her mood uneasy.

++ Skulmdall-Kolgrim-Wbweather ++
The jarl and Siri appear to appreciate the trio's supportive comments and respond in turn with an affirming nod and pleasant response. They sincerely seem to show signs of faith in the party's competence and capacity to succeed with their given task. The apparent tension in the room however, seems to be taking its toll upon poor Annehi. The woman is already starting to tremble and now shows visible signs of becoming distraught, almost as if something was gnawing at her emotions. She places both of her palms down atop the table before her and appears to be praying to Odin.

++ Ulfr-Eyvindr-Sylvi ++
I meant to PM Olligarchy some stuff about the Valley of Sleeping Jarls, but never got the chance to do so from being sick. I have not heard from him inquiring about the matter either, so let me go ahead now and give you some rundowns on the basics of his knowledge.
  • The Valley of the Sleeping Jarls is an ancestral burial ground for the Lands of Song's founding fathers.
  • The burial ground is about 100 years old or so.
  • Inside the Valley are cairns dedicated to the various clan chieftains and rulers who presided over the Lands of Song and some of their more prestigious heroes.
  • It is a rocky terrain with little if not sparse vegetation.
  • To reach it you must climb a series of mountains known as "Three Horn Mountain."
  • It is considered to be a sacred, holy place. Now apparently beset upon by some evil presence.
Anything else desired known, feel free to OOC in your next post(s).
Eyvindr's words seem to fall upon deaf ears as Annehi continues to gather her wits about her. She seems to be lost in both prayer and conflict. The young woman continues to pray and appears to be ready enough to formulate a response. This is when Ulfr brings the topics of gloom and evil into the topics of conversation. The young woman once more begins to tremble, as if lost in thought or contemplation. It is Sylvi's emotional response is the catalyst which sparks a most unusual and unexpected result!

Annehi's form reacts to the shield-maiden's outburst by flinching severely. She grips the edges of her table with fear and then proceeds to shake violently. The shaking only lasts for a moment before the young lady's eyes flicker and change their appearance. The whites of her eyes suddenly blacken over and glisten. Her gaze is now not unlike that of a raven's!

The young volva's eyes change their appearance just as her prayers have ended. Her body immediately ceases its shaking and Annehi appears to be washed in a supernatural calm. She then focuses her gaze upon your group and speaks, the whites of her eyes having returned to their normalcy and her tone equally as authoritative as her grandmother's.

"I do appreciate your concerns dear friends, but know this. I am no mere child. Do not treat me as such! My fate has already been chosen by the gods and the path that we must now tread upon is one filled with great peril. To deny such an affair is to deny the Nornir themselves!"
Sending PM's to a couple of you so be on the lookout.
Siri, Jarl Yngvar, and Freyir gasp with astonishment, the latter even more so than the rest. Siri's astonishment soon becomes the look of admiration and respect. She does little to prevent her granddaughter from speaking further. In turn, Annehi does so.

"I can not help but find myself drawn to this evil as a moth would find itself driven to the flickering flames of a hearth fire. I can not help myself from doing so and feel that I must now abide by the Nornir's wishes completely lest our quest be doomed to certain failure. I would ask you now to please put aside any indiscretions that you might have of my involvement in this quest and know that I shall neither tarry in my step, nor fall behind in battle. I and my skills will be and shall always be, at your disposal."

The room quickly falls silent as Annehi's speech concludes. The air hangs thick with energy and outside, the night sky rumbles softly...
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!