Prologue: A Not So Warm Welcome

Yggdrasill, the role-playing game, allows you to play through exciting adventures in a detailed and fascinating setting, and to become a hero in legendary Scandia, the land of the “three kingdoms” of Denmark, Norway, and Svithjod (modern-day Sweden). Intrigues, combats, quests, magic, and mythical creatures await you!

In Her Dark Majesty you will become part of a powerful group of unsung heroes who are sent to rid the world of a powerful evil that has once more reared its ugly head. Through the course of your adventures you will partake in an epic tale that is most assuredly design to mimic the classic prose of the Poetic Edda and Beowulf itself.

You can be a mercenary or hirdman, berserker or noble, soothsayer or sorcerer, Fate will guide you along the frozen shores of the fjords, cross deep seas on perilous expeditions and into monster-haunted forests. The skalds will sing of your exploits for centuries to come!

Moderator: Eanwulf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Prologue: A Not So Warm Welcome

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Thorgrod is uncertain what to make of these women. He wonders if they might be daughters of the jarl. They do seem to have some aura of importance about them. There seems to be mystery burried within mystery in this hall and he wonders what he has gotten himself into.

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Eyvindr looks slightly unsettled at hearing of the power the women possess. "I will be certain to treat them with all the respect that I can muster", he says.
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:04 pm

"Then let us pray that the gods speak wisdom to us through them. I take it the jarl has complete trust in them?"

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Meh! Once again, real life duties and obligations steal me away longer than desired.
The three women's appearance sparks an immediate conversation among the heroes. In time, Kæder joins the group's table and helps to shed a little light upon the topic as to whom they might be. In turn, those seated around the group help further this information with their own comments. It would appear that the three women were indeed Jarl Yngvar's Volva, the eldest of them being Siri; a former ruler of the Lands of Song now turned adviser. As for the two younger beauties, they appear to be Siri's granddaughters Freyir and Annehi.

Jarl Yngvar embraces the two young volva as one would his own children and bids them sit. As for Siri, he merely nods in her direction admiringly and says something incoherent. The old woman returns the jarl's nod and maintains a respective distance for most of the evening. In time, it appears that the senior volva is growing impatient and restless. As such, she draws closer to the jarl and begins whispering to him hurriedly.

Meanwhile, the group continues to converse and celebrate. The entire affair continues to remain very upbeat for several hours before finally starting to settle down. The women and children gathered at Yngvar's table are the first to leave. He bids them a fond farewell and good night. In turn, several of the other tables are next to retire. It isn't until late the last of Jarl Yngvar's nobles and warriors finally depart, leaving your group alone with the jarl, the three wise-women, and his most trusted protectors.

The jarl beckons your group to grab their drinks and approach his table. He then asks you to sit at his table and begins to give your group a toast.

"My dear friends, I bid you welcome to my humble chambers. I pray that each of you have had your fill of eat and drink. Know that I would have you continue to indulge yourselves here inside of my hall for as long as you each desire to. My servants will show you to your chambers when the need arises and I wish each of you a good night's rest when the time comes. Your journey starts soon and there is still much to talk about before your departure!"

Siri seems unsettled and even appears as if she wishes to interrupt the jarl, but doesn't do so. She opts instead to sigh abruptly during the jarl's toast and shifts about in her seat periodically. Jarl Yngvar continues to ramble.

"Before I retire from your company this evening, I wish to introduce you to three of my most prized treasures here in Kerava. The first and foremost is my personal volva and former predecessor, Siri of the Songlands." Jarl Yngvar gestures towards the old wise-woman, to which she merely smiles weakly and nods in response. Jarl Yngvar continues. "As for these two lovely gems, they would be Freyir and Annehi, Siri's granddaughters and my own adoptive god-children." The jarl motions towards the platinum-blonde beauty and strawberry-blonde beauty in turn. They smile warmly in response, the latter a bit more embarassedly in nature, the former somewhat more predatorily.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Eyvindr bows slightly to the women, but remains silent.
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:55 pm

"Well met ladies." Thorgrod seems most interested in Siri whom he believes has the most information about the task that they have been summoned for. "I trust that the gods find us worthy for the task that we have been called for. Can you tell us more about the rumors of what has befallen this place?"

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10
Title: Subculture of One
User Class: Scum

Post by Aegor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:18 am

"Well met!" Kolgrim says loudly.

"I will take you up on that offer soon, and depart to the room with these women here very soon. But before do tell me who will I have the pleasure of hacking in half when we depart from your halls!"
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:19 am

The jarl's wise-women acknowledge your greetings and respond accordingly. It isn't until Jarl Yngvar permits them to speak that they do so. Siri looks slightly agitated by then but still, the jarl shall do what a jarl shall do.

"I fear I have prattled on too much." comments Jarl Yngvar, his tired eyes and flushed cheeks showing signs of an extreme weariness. "The late hour and excess of drink have mulled my senses. I shall let my council speak to you now and listen to what they have to say."

Siri clears her throat several times. Standing to her full height, the elder volva turns to face her milky-white-eyed gaze upon your party's direction and beings.

"As you have probably heard by now, an evil has arisen in the Lands of Song and is running amok across the land. It all started off with signs and portents. I and my daughters have also had dreams in which horrible visions were seen, slowly revealing the manifestation of this evil. Now approaching winter, many of our lands' harvests have soured or spoiled. Food is short and the people are panicked. Many of the livestock have likewise suffered from plague and other illnesses. A tragic sign indeed of the things to come."

The woman's tone is stern and informative. She shows restrained emotion as she continues.

"I myself and my granddaughters are trying our best to derive the evil's origin but it is a powerful and elusive force to be reckoned with. I do know however, that the evil itself is old and malevolent, full of anger and disdain towards the living and not beyond harming them in the slightest."

Siri sighs heavily, the weight of her words cumbersome to all who hear them.

"You have probably also heard many tales as to exactly what this evil might be. Do not believe them. The majority of these exotic tales are mostly rumor, left unchecked by our jarl out of an odd necessity. Fear generally tends to keep the masses huddled together in the safety and seclusion of their homes. Our guards then protect them diligently and ensure that all are taken care of. That is, until recently."

Once more Siri sighs, the weight of her words increasing even more.

"A Moon ago, six of our most powerful clans each sent their champion to discover the source of this blight. These six heroes never returned, nor has any trace been found of them. Putting aside his pride, Jarl Yngvar has called for more heroes to aid the free peoples. You have been gracious enough to heed his call and for this, I thank you."

Pausing to reach for a horn of milk, Siri takes one healthy draught from it before continuing.

"I shall tell you as I had told the others before you. I and my daughters have consulted with the ancestors of our Clans and they confirm that an old evil has indeed arisen. This stain upon our land appears to originate from the Valley of the Sleeping Jarls. It is a sacred place where all of our Clan's chieftains are laid to rest. The ancestors also warn that this evil will not abate its attack upon our people. It seems to bear a great malice for past deeds done to it and now hungers for vengeance."

The younger of Siri's two granddaughters (Annehi) shudders uncontrollably. A bead of sweat forms upon her brow and she seems to be troubled.

"We have sought to discover the offense made by our people upon this evil and to try and discern what appeasement might be offered. All for naught! We have received word from the jarl's scouts that most of our outlying settlements have become abandoned or so overcome by fear that they no longer welcome visitors. Meanwhile, the mysterious ailments and disappearances continue. Our local wildlife now dies off as the predators who'd hunt them grow even bolder. Now there is evidence of raiders and bandits roaming abroad, seizing their opportunity to lay siege upon our lands and pillage what they can before the winter finally comes. It is truly a desperate time to live in indeed!"

Siri's words strike you deeply. Jarl Yngvar can be seen now wearing the concerned face of a sobered grimness.

"Two nights ago, several of the guards along the wooden palisade protecting our Lord Yngvar’s Hall disappeared. The spring calves here have started to die and the poultry now refuses to lay eggs. I greatly fear that we shall not have enough stores to survive the winter unless something can be done about this evil and it's ominous threat laid to rest once and for all. This is where you come in."

The room is now silent, the combined weight of Siri's comments weighing heavily upon each and every one of your shoulders. A tremendously cumbersome weight indeed!
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am

After a quick greeting and sitting down on the table, Skulmdall listened and drank. When the wise-women are done and everyone is silent he flexes his shoulders as if to push a burden off them.

"There is little need to fear much more. Now you have Skulmdall and his comrades here. We'll go to Lord Yngvar’s Hall to see what happened to the guards for they will not be able to overcome us. And when we have discovered what got those guards we'll root that out as well. Or die trying," the young warrior proclaims loudly and it seems he's quite convinced that he's not going to die at all. "Fear no longer wise women we're going to lift this evil from you!" He quickly glances to his smarter sister. "Right?"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:32 pm

"My lady, we are at your service. We shall do what we may to free your people of this malady. I count it an honor to take up my sword for the Land of Song. May Odin grant us his favor. But I think it wise to begin saving what provisions you have for winter, who knows how long our task may take us and there are many hungry mouths to feed."