Chapter 1a: The Journey to the Valley

Yggdrasill, the role-playing game, allows you to play through exciting adventures in a detailed and fascinating setting, and to become a hero in legendary Scandia, the land of the “three kingdoms” of Denmark, Norway, and Svithjod (modern-day Sweden). Intrigues, combats, quests, magic, and mythical creatures await you!

In Her Dark Majesty you will become part of a powerful group of unsung heroes who are sent to rid the world of a powerful evil that has once more reared its ugly head. Through the course of your adventures you will partake in an epic tale that is most assuredly design to mimic the classic prose of the Poetic Edda and Beowulf itself.

You can be a mercenary or hirdman, berserker or noble, soothsayer or sorcerer, Fate will guide you along the frozen shores of the fjords, cross deep seas on perilous expeditions and into monster-haunted forests. The skalds will sing of your exploits for centuries to come!

Moderator: Eanwulf

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Chapter 1a: The Journey to the Valley

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:47 am

Opting to press onward, your group departs their camp and presses on towards Skalkegard. The day is spent reaching the summit of a rocky hill, descending down the other side of it and then winding your way once more through the dense forest of the Whispering Woods.

As the day progresses you feel stifled and oppressed by an unknown force. Surely the time spent maneuvering among the trees is much less arduous than scaling the side of a mountain, but for whatever reason the progress seems burdened by an unusual sense of uncertainty.
Kæder guides you as best one can. Ulfr's and Eyvindr's knowledge of hunting and scouting help the party's travel immensely. By the time evening begins to roll around you find yourself amid a cluster of woods filled with the dull, lingering stench of a stale smoke. Something in or around the woods has been burning!

Consulting your guide, you learn that the village of Skalkegard is about a partial day's travel away. You see no signs of any fires among the trees around your current position or in the skies above, from what points of view you have that is; but the smell is there still the same.

The time has come once more to break for camp, or possibly continue on given the current situation. Regardless of your group's decision, one fact remains the same. Your bodies are growing tired and your muscles are becoming heavier by each passing moment.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:53 am

Assuming we make camp...

Skulmdall places his hand on his sister, kneading it as if to comfort her. "Clever sister, don't worry. You didn't need to get me into my cups. I would have brought you with me, I'm big enough to do it. What do you think our younger kin are doing? They should be sleeping. I wager Geir is sharpening the dull blade on his axe, and Wera is dancing under the stars. Why don't the Norn do that? Maybe we'd all have happier fates." Skulmdall gives his sister a one-armed hug. "Sleep well. My sword scares man and giant alike even when I sleep."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:08 am

Edited your post due to the OOC issue regarding @ feature not working properly when used as the first entry.

@Seosaidh is still with us as Eyvindr, just saying. There are still 4 PCs

@Wbweather Yup I know and am glad he's still with us! *applaud* I was just going off the fact that 3/4 of you, heck even 3/5 of you presuming Bohemond was still with us at the time wanted to press onward, when making the decision to press onward. :)

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:16 am

Eyvindr remarks, "Perhaps we should rest here for a few hours and then press on without making camp. However, even if we do make camp, I do not think it wise to draw too much attention to ourselves." Turning to Ulfr, he asks, "In perhaps an hour, do you wish to scout ahead to see what passes at the city?"
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:06 pm

Sylvi scoffs at Skulmdall, "No one has ever forced you to drink your fill, brother." She accepts his embrace and smiles, "If you did not favor my look I would say it was your face that scares away beast and maid. Perhaps it does still?"

The shield maider begins to work on getting the fire started. She's ready for some rest. "We won't be much good if we're dead exhausted."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Ulfr nods. "Certainly--I think that's wise for one or two of us who can go unseen to see what lies ahead. Assuming that whatever oppressive force hangs over this place does not see us coming through magical means."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Kolgrim is all for making camp, his bones ache and he a shows a strong interest in eating and drinking. Yrsa seems to show an interest in trying to support both of the party's decisions. She even goes on to state that upon conversing with Annehi, she might very well be able to aid the pair of scouts in their travels later this evening. As for Annehi, she advises camping as well. The time afforded may be sufficient enough to give her the chance to consult the bones for any signs of further peril.

So with decision made, it seems that the group is going to break for camp. The two scouts in the group survey the nearby woods and eventually return with some small game and substantial amounts of edible flora. The group's campfires are lit, though small as not to attract attention, and their bedrolls unraveled after securing the horses. The evening is a brisk one and the smell of stale smoke still hangs thickly throughout the trees. Mead is drunk, food is ate. In time, the group settles down for the night to rest. Evyindr and Ulfr sleep as comfortably as they can before being woke to begin their mission.
The group will split up as follows:
  • At Camp: Annehi, Kaeder, Kolgrim, Skulmdall, Sylvi, Thorgrod, Yrsa
  • Scouting: Ulfr, Evyindr
I'll do the camp party members on this thread and those scouting over in the PRIVATE RP THREAD
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:35 am

@Bohemond @Muskrat @TetNak and @Wbweather
Tooth Fang And Claw
MOOD MUSIC

After dinner is eaten and the time comes to retire for the evening, you do so gladly. Guard duties are set up with random pairs of your group watching the camp with a vigil rigor. Prior to slumber, Annehi consults the bones and comments that she was unable to sense any foul omens regarding Ulfr's and Evyindr's upcoming excursion. She does however, advise the pair to use caution and appears to feel extremely bad for having given Yrsa one of her ravens to use in one of the blacksmith's spells. Witnessing the affair, one can see why. The poor bird was slain. Nevertheless, your group eventually finds slumber and dreams of vanquishing evil and rejoicing in celebration over the sung tales of your conquests and victories in the Halls of Valhalla.

Suddenly, your dreams are rudely interrupted by the screams of a woman!

Stirring from your slumber, you see Annehi making her way towards your camp with a horrified look upon her face. The snarling sounds of animals attacking or arguing are heard coming from the north of your position. Straining your weary eyelids open you turn to see two large wolves snatching Yrsa to the ground! The pair of women were apparently the ones on guard duty and somehow these fierce beasts have managed to elude their detection until it was too late!
Surprise Round!
Only wolves get to attack this round
Both Wolves attack Yrsa twice each (2nd attacks suffers a -2 Penalty)
Both Wolves gain a +6 Surprise bonus to their 1st attacks!

Wolf 1's 1st attack: 2d10+12 (ST 24) = 34, Hit! SM 10
Damage = 1d10+16 (17-12 Armor), 5 points sustained!

Wolf 2's 1st attack: 2d10+12 (ST 24) = 27, Hit! SM 3
Damage = 1d10+9 (19-12 Armor), 7 points sustained!

Wolf 1's 2nd attack: 2d10+4 (ST 24) = 18, Miss!

Wolf 2's 2nd attack: 2d10+4 (ST 24) = 26, Hit! SM 2
Damage = 1d10+8 (17-12 Armor), 5 points sustained!
Having lunged from the darkness, the wolves brutally ravage Yrsa's massive frame as a pack of them would do a giant bear. The pair snarl and growl ferociously and don't seem to be all that concerned with your presence of that of the crackling flames of the fire still lit amidst your camp. The strong maiden defends herself as best she can, but it sadly overtaken to the ground. Roaring loudly, the wounded blacksmith struggles to her feet and stands breathing heavily as she prepares herself for another assault. The two wolves gladly oblige the maiden and continue to press on with their attack.
You just got woke up. It's dark past the edges of your firelight and the new round has begun. I shall post the wolves next courses of action later. Feel free to flavor post until then.
Wolves, Party
Names in italics have already acted this phase of the round.
Yrsa 27/44
Alpha
Traits: Alpha, Colossal, Fierce
Conflict 8/5 Relationship 2 Physical 8
Mental 1 Mystical 0/2 Vitality 12
ImageImage
Feral Wolf
Traits: Colossal, Fierce
Conflict 6/3 Relationship 1 Physical 6
Mental 0 Mystical 0/1 Vitality 10

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Stirring from his slumber, Kæder rises with all haste once he realizes what is about to happen and picking up his stout wooden staff looks out into the glimmering darkness before pulling out one of the firewood branches, keeping it behind his back as not to ruin his night vision, but ready to be brought to the fore should the wolves come within striking distance of him.

"Get the woman 'ere." He growls. Together with back to back they might well fend off the wolves, but if they got distracted and separated they would surely be torn to pieces one by one.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:59 pm

From sleep to wake, Sylvi rouses quite quickly at the sound of the wolves and the screams of the injured and frightened. The princess rises quickly, looking out into the darkness as she gives her brother a nudge to wake.

"Wake, Skulmdall, wake! We are under attack." Sylvi is not wearing her armor, but her weapons are nearby. She stands and scoops up a javelin and her spear, ready to do battle with their attackers.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name