Chapter 1: A Marsh Sunday Dinner

Spring 1918: The great war will soon be entering its fourth year. The conflict has reached the distant colonial holdings of all the major European powers and now embroils combatants from all corners of the world. Hope for a quick resolution is a dream abandoned long ago. Millions are dead, millions more are wounded, and tens-of-millions are mourning the dead and maimed, or worrying about the safety their sons, fathers, and husbands. The sum of human suffering is unprecedented in its scale. Such psychic and emotional energy is a clarion beacon which draws the attention of far-flung cosmic entities, and for the ancient horrors that lurk in the dark places of the earth, it is like a bugler at first call.

'Til the Boys Come Home is a 1910s World War I Call of Cthulhu Campaign run by Orvost.
Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Re: Chapter 1: A Marsh Sunday Dinner

Post by Orvost » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:16 am

Private McKay
Mrs. Marsh squeezes Private KcKay's hand affectionately, clearly moved by his statement. She waves at the three young men from the window as they make their way down the street, heading back to Penn Station and the 9:00pm train that will take them back to Camp Upton. If they make the train, they should be asleep in their bunks around 12:30am.

When he boards the train and waits for departure, McKay sees many other soldiers from camp on the train as well. Private Diamond and about six other Irish boys are in the train car with him. From the looks of them, they're well spent but in good spirits. They seem to be down a few from the dozen or so that left together, including Private Campbell. They must have ditched him somewhere along the way.

Private McAllister
Corporal Bartelli frowns at McAllister's question as he thinks back.
"Wear off? I don't remember any wearing off. The needle bite wasn't so bad; I had worse from Red River mosquitoes. There may have been some soreness, but heck--everything was sore those first weeks of basic training!"

The others around the table murmur and nod their agreement.

"And you say they got some more shots scheduled? I wonder why they're doing it different with you."

The hour is getting late, but the soldiers of the fifth don't seem to be in any hurry for the night to end. Private McAllister still has to return his father's car before he can get back to camp.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:51 am

"I thought that was the way it happened with everyone." Ryan wondered out loud. "Nobody else seemed to think it was any different - then again, nobody else has been through basic training before so..." He shrugged his shoulders, then caught sight of the clock above the bar.

"Crap.. I've gotta get my Pop's car back home." He knew he'd stayed longer than he should, but these boys had been good company and the food and beer tasted too good to pass up, especially on a night such as this.

"It's been good meeting you, but I'm gonna have to call it a night fellas." Ryan said reluctantly, finishing his drink and standing up from his chair on slightly unsteady legs.

"Listen, you stay safe okay.. when this is over, I'll introduce you to the rest of my unit and we can have a right old party okay?"
Not sure if I need to roll for driving under the influence, but Ryan is going to take it easy on the way home.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:44 am

McKay gives pleasant goodbyes to Mrs. Marsh, trying to leave a good impression. Also, the more pleasantness, the sooner he'll be able to clear those photo images from his mind. His thoughts start skittering towards the images again before he uses some willpower the think on the present as they go to Penn Station.

As he sees the lads, he falls into old habits. He swaggers up to them with a big grin. "Diamond! What have you been up to all night? Looks like you hit the town nice and hard."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:26 am

Private McKay
Private Diamond sits slumped back on a train bench with a content smile on his face. When Private McKay addresses him, he opens one eye and looks up.

"McKay! You missed a fine time in the old town last night. Lucky we didn't need the extra muscle, but you're welcome to join us next time."

Private McAllister
The guys from the Fifth Division toast McAllister as he departs. They promise to ask after the 77th Division in France and maybe meet up again over there.

McAllister is not too impaired from his night out with the guys. His driving isn't particularly impressive, but at this late hour, the roads are empty and he is able to get home without indecent.

By the time McAllister makes it back to Penn Station, it is after midnight. The next train to Yaphank is the 'Night Owl', the 2:00am train that will get a man back to camp with only minutes to spare before answering reveille. The men on the Night Owl are a desperate lot, struggling to make the most of the precious few hours of fleeting rest they can catch on the train before another day in the army begins.
Drive Auto roll --84 fail
Luck roll --14 special success
Your character was drinking socially with a meal and not binging on an empty stomach, that's a plus. His SIZ is smaller than average so he's kind of a lightweight, that's a minus. His personal tolerance is average, but he is in very good shape. Overall, he is definitely under the influence, but still functional.
Last edited by Orvost on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Somehow Ryan manages to keep the car on the road and while it takes a little longer than usual he eventually parks up outside of the family's home. After slipping into his room quietly he gathers his possessions and heads down to the kitchen where he leaves a quick goodbye note for his parents.

He walks the short distance to the train station and boards the Night Owl where he manages to get a seat for the journey. Catching up on some sleep he is relived when someone wakes him as the train pulls in to the station by the camp. Grabbing his stuff he gets off and breaks into a run, making it to his unit's dorm just in time, though he has a slightly disheveled appearance compared to some of the others.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:55 am

Private McKay is happy to be on the way home, and slumps into a seat near the others. "Well, I think I'll have to take you up on that. It may be a while before we're back in this town, but who knows where we'll be deployed? I'm sure there are cities all over the place that would be fun to party in."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:01 am

Private Diamond is a memorable person and after the war Privates Campbell and McKay will regret, or be relieved, that they didn't spend time with him when they had the chance, because you all will follow his post-war antics in the newspapers.

Privates McKay and McAllister return to base in time to report for duty Monday morning.
Let's lock this thread. Please return to posting in this thread:
http://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopic ... 7&start=80