Prologue: The Bon Festival

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

User avatar
Karstil
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 81
Location: Winterthur

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by Karstil » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Ulrich had to smile as the girl / the young lady? only held her hand out for a short time, then immediately thought of something else.
"My name is Ulrich " he introduces himself. "Anyhow, the ladies surely have this right, we should move. Has one of you a car, or something? And does anyone know more about medicine? I am unfortunately no help for our wounded, all i can do is carry one of them..."

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8604
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44 am

Jon leans over and coughs up ... something that doesn't look healthy. At best, it's some phlegm. At worse, maybe some lung? Either way, not so good. "Too many questions ... hospital ... dangerous ..." he kind of devolves into nonsensical mumbling, the blood loss clearly compromising his mental function. Even for a Magi with literally superhuman levels of willpower, there are still limits.

The friendly plane-shifting priest speaks in a perfectly understandable English, although the syntax and grammatical choices clearly point to this being a second language. And despite his previous display of holy firepower, he seems sincere in wanting to help. As he steps forward to shake hands with Pixel, he stumbles on something beneath his feet, and bends over to pick it up. It is a small duffel bag, tightly closed, with a red cross emblazoned on the surface. A full med kit? Must have blown over from the Medic Station that Jon was manning back before this all went down.

As the group crowds around Jon, a voice behind him sounds off. "What's going on? I ... I don't understand. What happened? Who are you people?" Right, the Singers. The elderly couple is still in an almost catatonic shock, but the adult son is fully aware. His shoulder is broken and bleeding from the attack, but he is mobile. What do to with them?
June: Entropy roll successful. You have a Med Kit! If you want to still summon the EMTs, I'll let this roll cover that as well.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10012
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by Muskrat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Pixel simply avoids the questions, saying, "Don't worry--things are under control now and the EMTs are on their way. You should be fine." Focused on trying to reassure someone other than herself, her voice is filled with unaccustomed confidence.

After addressing the singer, she turns to Ulrich and says quietly, so the singers won't overhear, "I don't suppose you could get us--or at least Jon--out of here the way you came in? Get him someplace for safe healing where he won't have to answer awkward questions."

User avatar
Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1181
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by Hermit » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Dexter remained rooted as he was, wobbling ever so slightly from the sudden evaporation of the ghoulish creature he'd spitted down to the handle with his cane only moments before. So caught up in the thrill of the attack, it took the young man a few moments to collect his wits and reevaluate his immediate surroundings. Dexter blinked owlishly at the man standing mere inches from his outstretched blade, though the befuddled expression took on a hard look at the sight of the cross around the stranger's neck and the worn bible held in his hand.

Saying nothing, Dexter settled for a curt nod, shakily moving into an at rest position and wiping away whatever residue clung to his blade before sheathing it within the confines of his inconspicuous cane. Half-listening to the dialogue between everyone still present, the half-Romani trained his weary gaze upon the hapless family that had been caught in the crossfire between themselves and the icy phantasm. In response to their query, he opened his mouth as if to say something, then closed it promptly afterwards.

Never before had Dexter been involved in a situation such as this. There was something immensely exciting about being able to flaunt one's craft out in the open, albeit under tense circumstances, the young man rationalized that the circumstances demanded something be done lest innocent blood be spilt. Despite this, the fact remained that these people had born witness to things that as far as they were concerned should not and could never be. There was no way to unsee what had been seen, and Dexter highly doubted anything he could say would convince them that what had transpired was simply smoke and mirrors.

Though still numbed, Dexter was relieved to find that the arm that had been struck by the witches sickle retained feeling and motor function as evidenced by the clenching and unclenching of his fingers. The half-Romani shuffled unsteadily over to June. "Whatever we choose to do next, we need to leave five minutes ago before They begin sniffing around here."
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8604
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:31 pm

The Singer shakes his head, the shock keeping his faculties clouded but not completely shut off. "But that ... thing blew up the entire courtyard, with ... blue fire? And he just stood there, and saved us!" His voice is edging towards hysteria, his reality shattered. "We should all be dead! Dead! Blown to bits! And he just stood there, and he's alive. And we're alive." He hugs the prone and battered forms of his parents, rocking back and forth while tears stream down his face.

Pixel keeps a mental eye on the emergency service calls, while her physical attention is on her fellow companions and the wounded. A cold tightness in her chest manifests when the security measures in the 911-system cycle out of nowhere, and she feels her access being fought anew. Perhaps this Dexter person has studied prescience protocols, as it is entirely plausible that Their attention has now been caught.
So, options for egress. There are of course all the mundane methods (fireman carry Jon and book it, use a car, etc.). As for magical egress, outside of excessively flashy methods like growing wings, there are 3 Spheres that cover most of them:
- Forces (2 would effectively Haste you, 3 could let you straight-up fly). Obviously super vulgar, but it's there.
- Spirit (3+ usually used for travel through the Gauntlet, but technically 2 could degrade that Gauntlet to 0, making a Shallowing). Nobody has Spirit 3, but Ulrich could use Spirit 2 to create a Shallowing. Note that this is super dangerous (as anything in the Spirit World could come through as well), but it would be nigh-impossible for you to be followed.
- Correspondence (3+ needed. 3 usually is used for personal travel, while 4 could create a Gate people could just walk through). I'm fine with Corr 3 being used to teleport yourself and 1 other person, if enough Successes are accumulated (Extended Roll until you hit the Success requirement). Basically taking them along with you.
--- Data obviously has the same basics, but requires Tech at both ends to allow teleport. You can't just Chi-punch a portal open. I'm sure Pixel has some sort of re-materialization pad at her place, as an emergency retreat point. Just common sense.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Posts: 15431
Location: Ireland
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm afraid I have none of those in June's repertoire...
"Yeah, that's right. We gotta get going quick," June nods to Dexter. She still recalls the odd man from long ago and that he and his fellows may be quite attracted to their actions. Even more so than the legal authorities. Although their question she would rather avoid as well. Ingrained in her is the push to make a run when sirens are approaching. So she just grabs the kit and slips over to Jon. "You don't need to move much. Just a little bit, alright. Just to be a bit away from here. I'm no doctor, you are. Can you move that much?"
Image
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10012
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Pixel says, "Ah, look, I can get Jon out of here--or I can try and it will probably take a bit. Once I get him out of here, the rest of you might want to get out of here by more, ah, normal means. And then I can put in a call for someone from Jon's Tradition to come pick him up."

She whistles and the toy car and doll come near her, forming a triangle with Jon in the middle. Pixel begins punching keys on her cell phone, periodically pausing to view the energy fields through her AR goggles, before readjusting her calculations. Her aim is to teleport herself and Jon back to her apartment. She just hopes Jon will be too groggy to get a good luck at the place, because it's embarrassingly messy.
Data. Spend 1 Willpower for an auto-success.

User avatar
Karstil
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 81
Location: Winterthur

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by Karstil » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 pm

„I can't open a door, but it could be that I can tear the Gauntlet down, because after the Spirit and Battel her it is not at his best. It's just that I really don't want to, it would open our world for everything that is there...“ answers Ulrich the question of Pixel.
At that moment when Pixel starts with her idea „that would maybe help but I think it would be better when you and Jon at least go out of sight.“ he looks meaningfully to the singers.

„We wouldn't be so lucky that where that comes from,“ Ulrich points on the medi kit,“ is also an ambulance?"

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10012
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:59 pm

Pixel pauses in her calculations, says, "Um, yeah, that would make sense," shaking her head at her own foolishness, then asks, "Can someone help me carry him--over to the medical tent maybe? We should be out of sight there."

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8604
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 am

Ulrich wisely brings up the fact that it is bad enough courting Paradox by teleporting, but even more unwise to give more traumatic dissonance to the poor Singers. They've been through enough. Adding "Beam Me Up Scotty" might be one event too many for their sanity. The priest and June help Pixel gently move Jon to the privacy of the battered but intact Medical Tent. Now with some privacy, she begins her Protocols to enact a Recall on both herself and Jon. It is fortunate that she picked him out of the crowd before the madness began. He was key in the defeat of the Spirit, and she may now be the key to keeping him alive after the fact.
Pixel: Extended Roll begun. Rolled, you've now accumulated 2 Successes (TN 7 because Vulgar without Witnesses). Another round or 2 and you'll succeed.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Post Reply