Prologue: The Bon Festival

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Prologue: The Bon Festival

Post by Karstil » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:21 pm

The unknown Man takes a pendant, he wears around the neck with his left hand and kneads it. He shakes his head like a Person how just rode a carousel.

Ulrich needs a moment, after traveling through the Gauntlet, to readjust his senses and completely taking the surrounding in. „Oh Lord, as I asked for your guidance and a sign on how and where I can do the most good an help your plan. I thought about a phone call from a chapel or a parish where a priest is needed.“ After seeing the frost coated, for a Chinese or Japanese Festival decorated, street that glitters in the crisp Night Air. „And how long and far have I traveled, as I entered the Shallowing it was summer and I was in the US?!“ 
Then he concentrates on the people in sight: “A spirit, two wounded combatants and an unknown number of others and bystanders. Also lingering effects of magic and other outwardly energies.“

All this thought happened in seconds, so without a real noticeable delay the... Priest, he wears the soutane, and in the flickering light the pendant is recognizable as a golden crucifix, strides closer to the fray. While he moves he speaks, with a voice that sounds full of confidence and trust: „I take it, that you are to blame for the calamity that drew me here.“ he opens one of the belt pouches, he wears on a leather belt, and takes a Bibel form it.  „To clear this mess, I think it is time for you, entitie of the spirit world, to begone back where you belong.“ with this words he opens the bibel and starts an incantaion in latin.
First i would like a Occult/Esoterica roll to know with which sort of spirit i talk.
Then would i try an Exorcism
I'm happy to be here. And thank you all for the admission

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 pm

The priestly-looking figure with a distinguishing accent holds forth his symbols of Faith, chanting in a holy tongue. Despite his journey from the Spirit Realms, the lines of his cassock are straight and wrinkle-free, exuding an air of strength and authority. Unlike the antics of the Snow Woman, his display of faith is neither flashy nor colorful. He simply commands his Will be done, and the tears in reality begin to heal. The blue lightning becomes less violent, and the Snow Woman pauses in her movements, clearly affected by the cleric's powers.

The rest of the group ...
Ulrich: Esoteria Roll (not a classic Judao-Christian demon, so not giving you the Specialization bonus). TN 7 (Japanese folklore not exactly your specialty either) - 1,5,6,7,8 = 1 Success. You generally get the same hint you already stated in your Post. Some sort of hostile Spirit Entity of East-Asian descent.

Exorcism: According to the Book, it takes Spirit 3 to harm a Spirit, and Spirit 4 to straight up command a Spirit to obey, forcing them out of a Possessed person, or pushing them back across the Gauntlet. So Spirit 2 alone wouldn't cut it. But you do have the unique gift of True Faith. The Snow Woman isn't strictly an Enemy of the Faith or anything, but the Book does state that it can enable Exorcisms all on its own even for non-Magi. So here's what I propose:
- I'll allow your standard Spirit Rolls against the Spirit. Since you aren't powerful enough to Compel her, you can at least thicken the Gauntlet in the area (making it harder for her to exist in the Material Realm), and the power of your Faith discomfits her, making it more likely for her to want to retreat as well.
- Spirit Roll (TN 5): 3,9,9 = 2 Successes. Gauntlet restored to 2.
- True Faith Roll (Book says each point of True Faith equals 2 Dice for Spirit Effects, TN 6): 3,7 = 1 Success (Extended Roll, a total of her unknown Willpower needed to Banish).

Also for Karstil: It may help to distinguish between Thoughts and Spoken Words. I assume the first paragraph was your internal monologue, while the second paragraph was you speaking aloud. The usual etiquette is to Italicize thoughts, while using "Quotation Marks" for spoken words.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Pixel stares, eyes agog, as the priest steps out of seemingly nowhere and begins working some sort of magic against the winter spirit. "Cool," she whispers, before shaking her head and bringing her attention back to the matter at hand. She rapidly types commands into her cell phone, restoring the field she created earlier to boost Dexter and Jon's senses as they battle the hostile spirit.
Data/ Mind
Can I banish the Ward I created? And do the rest of you think it would be more or less helpful if I did so?

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Realizing that the crude ward she had set up was doing as much to hinder her allies as to protect them, Pixel presses a button on her cell phone, deactivating it. She grits her teeth and hopes she has made the right call by doing so.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:02 pm

June has little in the sense of harming the spirit, even as the priest makes his presence known and gets to try and banish the Snow Woman. However, everything has a pattern, a structure to see and know. And where there are strengths, there are also weaknesses. Taking just a step closer, the stage magician tries to see more than what a normal person would see. Maybe even something more than even her companions see, the paths taken and those that lie ahead. Not for herself but the spirit.
Entropy. Trying to find the spirits weakness, maybe even weaken it. Sense fate and fortune.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 pm

The Virtual Adept struggles with frustration as her wild Ward is too erratic to serve the purpose she desired. It certain had a positive effect, blocking at least one attack from the Spirit, and limiting her mobility. But that very unpredictability also had the unintended side effect of protection the Snow Woman from their own attacks. Rather than continuing to leave things up to chance, she drops the Ward, the purpose energy dissipating almost immediately. She does manage to hack reality again, and Jon and Dexter again feel connected to the space around them, the information providing intuitive knowledge to enhance their combat prowess.

June fully shakes off her fugue, her eyes returning to their customary intensity and vigor. She draws an indistinct shape in the air with her wand, her focus intense. Her Eyes open to the future, sifting through possibilities and omens, visions and portents. Her first vision is closest to the current reality, an extensive battle between the Spirit and the Magi. She is a stranger in a strange land, an intruder to this plane of existence, and eventually her hold on her physical form slips from her grasp, and she is cast back into the void. The others are more indistinct, as they deviate further from the established actions and mindset of the combatants. Two stick out as more sensical than the others. One is of the square being filled with light, the lanterns relit, flames licking the surrounding buildings. The Spirit recoils from the heat, although her response is unclear. The last is the Singers joining with the Magi, the power of her Name combining with True Magic to force the Yuki-Onna from this Realm.

Jon and Dexter ...
Pixel: Data/Mind Buff (TN 5): 3,7,7 = 2 Successes. Using the extra Success to add +1 Target, so both Jon and Dexter have -1 TN to Attacks this Round.

June: Entropy Scan (TN 5): 7,8,9 = 3 Successes. What you're describing might better be a Time roll (looking through possible futures), but I'll re-flavor to your intent to search our Weaknesses. Since you asked for "paths taken and those that lie ahead", I'll flavor it as Visions of possible futures.
Excellent roll, so I'll give you 3 pieces of information, although I guess you already found 1 of them, but nice to confirm.
- (Confirmation) Spirit only has limited Essence, so if forced to use her Powers, she will eventually be forced back to the Spirit Realm. Painful option, since her Powers really hurt.
- (New) She fears Fire, or at least it is antithetical to her and her Powers.
- (New) Her Name has power over her. If the Singers were revived enough to give you her Name, any of you could affect her, or straight Banish if they have much experience with the Spirit Sphere.

Hayabusa - feel free to do a Flavor Post if you want, saying whatever you want to say to the others, after you see this series of visions.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Some things happen, others do not, but all are possible. However, the young mage can see both and all the paths that can be taken. So while they are there, June still relays them to those who do not perceive what she does. "She cannot linger here forever and will vanish when stressed too much by hurting us and others but she also fears the fire and her own name! They might know her name," she adds and points to the singers.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Dexter processes the information provided by June, quickly weighing these newfound options. Sharing a glance with the martial artist beside him, the young magi says lowly enough for only the man to hear, "Go for the family or the lanterns, I'll keep her occupied." Hoping that the man is not the type of person to refuse out of some misguided notion of self-sacrifice, the irony of that thought not lost on Dexter in this situation, the half-Romani refocuses his efforts on the icy specter before them.

With a stylistic flourish intended to catch her attention, Dexter manages to suppress the unearthly chill in his bones long enough to challenge without stuttering over his words, "Over here, you frigid cunt," the last word laced with venom, "we're not finished here."
Attack Yuki-Onna, 2 to Attack, 3 to Defense
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Dexter spits out words of insult and challenge, holding his pained body in stance, refusing to give a single step. With the purple field out of the way, he can clearly see both her wounds and her rage. He holds his cane vertically in front of him to block her inevitable respond, then stabs with what energy he can muster. To his great surprise, the katana cuts into her side, with much less resistance than before. Perhaps her battle of wills with the Priest is costing her attention of energy. Whatever the cause, it is almost certainly the only reason he did any damage at all.

Jon...
Dexter Attack Roll (2d10, TN 5): 3,6 = 1 Success. Damage Roll (2 Str + 3 Katana -1 Injured = 4d10): 3,3,6,9 = 2 Successes.
Spirit Soak Roll (Unknown): 1 Success. So takes 1 more Damage.
- Dexter can tell that the Spirit isn't soaking Damage like it used to. Whatever the Priest is doing, she isn't as resilient as before.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:22 pm

The Snow Woman snaps her head to June as she talks, then turns her gaze to the Singers. "I have been distracted by you for too long. This physical form means nothing to me. Cut me, banish me, it matters not, as long as the little humans die." She lifts her arm, and a blaze of light coalesces, this time not as a cold spear, but as a pool of deadly cold.

Jon backpedals, slips on the icy ground and turns it into a roll, coming to his feet in front of the elderly couple. Their adult son looks up, as he struggles to drag them to safety. The Akashic sets his feet, placing himself directly between her and them. He raises his right hand, and his emerald ring glows in return, the dragon motif visible to all. "I deny you, Spirit. Life will prevail this day, not vengeance nor death."

The Spirit snears in derision. "So be it, Magi." Then the world turns blue.
After everyone's eyes recover, Jon is still standing, his arm held out in defiance. The storefronts, street lights, and cars behind him are shattered, torn apart by the very concept of cold. However, a small triangle of protected ground remains behind him, where the trio stares up in amazement and disbelief. The Monk has not weathered the storm without consequence, however. His skin is blackened and cracked, blood flowing freely from wounds along his entire body. He slowly sinks to his knees, even his willpower bowing to the limits of his mortal frame. His eyes never lose their determination, never dimming as he stands between the darkness, and the light.

The Yuki-Onna looks ... paler somehow. Perhaps more translucent, as though such a display of power left her drained.
Jon: Buff Stamina. Using 2 Quintessence to bring the TN from 6 to 4. Using a Willpower point for an automatic Success. 3d10 = 4,6,8 = 4 Total Successes (Roll + WP), so +4 Stamina for 1 Round. Stamina at 7!!!

Snow Woman: Biggest Blast you've seen for far. (Secret Roll) *glorch* 7 Levels of Lethal.
- Jon's Soak (Stamina 7 + Iron Shirt 2) = 2,3,3,5,6,8,8,9,10 = 5 Successes, so 2 Lethal taken.
- Jon at Crippled (-5 to most non-magic Rolls, cannot move at more than a Crawl).
- Jon gains 2 Paradox (Vulgar w/ Witnesses).

The rest of the Party is up! She's on her last legs!